Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Nice write up on Noda's 5 year celebration week starting Sunday. 5 limited can runs. I know I will be stopping at least a few times during the week to pick up some of the new cans. Congrats on a very successful 5 years (even if I do rip on Hop Drop not tasting the same anymore, the rest of their beers are on point as is still my favorite brewery in town).

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/69692/noda-brewing-set-to-can-5-beers-for-their-5-years/

14 hours ago, kermit said:

I'm still torn on whether I want to consider them a Charlotte Brewery, but I added them to the map anyway:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

15 hours ago, kermit said:

wow. I love how the Elizabeth Avenue view of Uptown is visible from both sides of the patio.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 8.25.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 8.25.13 AM.png

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

wow. I love how the Elizabeth Avenue view of Uptown is visible from both sides of the patio.

Looking at it in Google Earth, I'm having trouble seeing how that aligns with reality.  Can somebody help me out?  

Edit:  Okay, I get now that those two patio sides are around a corner from each other (not on opposite sides of the building).....but still not understanding where exactly on the building this patio is supposed to be.

Edited by grodney

18 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'm still torn on whether I want to consider them a Charlotte Brewery, but I added them to the map anyway:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

I consider them an Asheville brewery. It just isn't an Asheville "production" brewery.  They brew some fantastic AVL only beers on the south slope.  Their core beers are very approachable and their one offs will appease the beer geeks.  Big win for Plaza Midwood.  I know Catawba has been scoping out Charlotte for some time now.  It will certainly be on my brewery rotation if it turns out anything like the plans. I always stop in for a beer when in Asheville as they always have interesting one-offs (I'm just not spending my whole evening there).

I wonder if they have future plans for private event space like the South Slope location? Every weekend that I have been to Catawba in AVL, there is always a large private party in the back. I think that concept would be killer, especially since no one really has event space (at least until Triple C opens theirs). 

18 minutes ago, grodney said:

Looking at it in Google Earth, I'm having trouble seeing how that aligns with reality.  Can somebody help me out?  

Edit:  Okay, I get now that those two patio sides are around a corner from each other (not on opposite sides of the building).....but still not understanding where exactly on the building this patio is supposed to be.

Seems to me that they will demo the modern additions to the building, much like Tompkins Hall is doing.

6 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I'm really beginning to wonder if we will hear anything about Victory/ST in the near future, or if it is a casualty of HB2 as well.

I don't think its a casualty, the new parent company Artisanal Brewing Ventures is already headquartered here. I'd imagine they are just trying to find the right space. 

Oh man, I wouldn't have a drink with any of these executives.

http://www.arborpic.com/team

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

I'm really beginning to wonder if we will hear anything about Victory/ST in the near future, or if it is a casualty of HB2 as well.

I'm optimistic it'll still happen with their recent Sugar Creek collaboration.  Purely anecdotal but good to see ST partner with a Charlotte brewery when they have plans on putting a facility here. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think its a casualty, the new parent company Artisanal Brewing Ventures is already headquartered here. I'd imagine they are just trying to find the right space. 

Oh man, I wouldn't have a drink with any of these executives.

http://www.arborpic.com/team

That's the old, male and white-guy all star team right there.  holy hell.  poor sylvia is a unicorn in that place.

• Like 3

I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there.  I think we are all guilty of being a bit hypercritical of the goings-on of the Charlotte beer scene from time to time.  I know I am.

In the interest of some lighter hearted conversation, what is your favorite Charlotte beer at the moment?  I had a friend in from out of town and we knocked back some Peak Farms, 3Cs and Hop Drops last night.  Maybe it's the hop charged hangover today, but I am feeling the warm and fuzzies from Charlotte beer at the moment.  We're all very lucky to have such good offerings in our backyard.

49 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

In the interest of some lighter hearted conversation, what is your favorite Charlotte beer at the moment? 

Hop Drop.  Always.  Gordgeous of course at the moment...so delicious.  And White Blaze as soon as I pick some up.  And NoDa promised they would can Cold Crash this year and I CAN'T WAIT for that.  Been drinking leftover CAVU from beach trips this summer and you know that's an underrated beer.....a refreshing change from big heavy hoppy high abv stuff all the time.  I had a 4-pack of the Bright-Ass Tank Top....it was pretty horrible, errrrr, I mean it wasn't my cup of tea.  Also got a 4-pack of the D9 System of Nature since they won Gold at GABF.  Not horrible, but not my cup of tea.  I made a special trip to NoDa Monday after work to get Monstro and NoDaRyz'd and whattayaknow they still had Sticky When Wet which I hadn't had yet....had one last night....wow hoppy!  

And yes, I never forget that I'm lucky to have such good offerings in our backyard.

Edit: Bold Missy says on the tweetsers that they are looking for a head brewer.....send resumes to info at boldmissybrewery dot com

Edited by grodney

6 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there.  I think we are all guilty of being a bit hypercritical of the goings-on of the Charlotte beer scene from time to time.  I know I am.

In the interest of some lighter hearted conversation, what is your favorite Charlotte beer at the moment?  I had a friend in from out of town and we knocked back some Peak Farms, 3Cs and Hop Drops last night.  Maybe it's the hop charged hangover today, but I am feeling the warm and fuzzies from Charlotte beer at the moment.  We're all very lucky to have such good offerings in our backyard.

I still have a strong affinity to Wooden Robot's Good Morning Viet Nam.  You can never go wrong with Birdsong's Mexicali Stout.  Not real big on IPA's, so I'm glad we are settling into the fall/winter season where stouts and porters are more popular!

• Like 1

I know some may disagree but Juicy Jay has stolen my love on the IPA front. It's consistent and delicious. Had a hard 2 days on my part time job the other day and it was the perfect fix to my aching soul. 

Agree with grodney on Gordgeous, I've had two 4 packs so far of that this year. Also like Mexicali stout but it gives me heartburn with more than one pint. No bueno. Good Morning Vietnam, very good as well. 

• Like 1

Re: Good Morning Vietnam.....Wooden Robot twitterered yesterday that they're doing Crowlers now....which is a 32oz can to go.  No idea on pricing, but one would think it would (should) be at or less than the cost of two pints.

Re: Juicy Jay and Legion in general......my wife, two daughters, and I *love* Legion.  The workers there are so friendly.  The beer has improved since Day 1 (it wasn't bad to start) and is pretty consistently good in my book, across all styles.  It's just that without any retail options and little distribution, I don't get to drink their stuff much since we only get there every few months.

p.s. I had a NoDaRyz'd can last night.  Delicious.  I think I'm going to have a blind tasting Battle Double (not Dubbel) between NoDaRyz'd, Baby Maker, and Peak Farm.

• Like 2

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-blog/the-beer-blog-1.273124/fat-head-s-brewery-eyes-canton-and-charlotte-n-c-for-expansion-1.722634

This is really big news.  " Fat Head’s has a deal in place to open in Charlotte’s South End neighborhood"

Fat Heads is huge name in the beer world. I've only had a few of their beers courtesy of a friend in OH, but they are widely considered a very big name in craft beer.  Their Hop Juju is the bomb.  

This is slated to be a full on brewpub with what is rated with above average food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-blog/the-beer-blog-1.273124/fat-head-s-brewery-eyes-canton-and-charlotte-n-c-for-expansion-1.722634

This is really big news.  " Fat Head’s has a deal in place to open in Charlotte’s South End neighborhood"

Fat Heads is huge name in the beer world. I've only had a few of their beers courtesy of a friend in OH, but they are widely considered a very big name in craft beer.  Their Hop Juju is the bomb.  

This is slated to be a full on brewpub with what is rated with above average food.

It is indeed pretty strange that of all the breweries, only 2 (OMB and Heist) truly have a full food service.  Well plus Rock Bottom of course.

I prefer it with just taprooms and no food, but maybe that's just me.

(Legal Remedy in Rock Hill has full food.  Can't really think of any others, even in surrounding counties.)

Edited by grodney

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Any guesses as to where in Southend? Atherton Mill 3.0 perhaps?

This is my Guess. Corner of Yancey and Old Pineville

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is my Guess. Corner of Yancey and Old Pineville

14374573_10101464080792547_1853942978_o.jpg

That would be awesome. The article doesn't really say if they are considering adding a full production brewery or not, but that building looks plenty big enough to house one if they see fit.  Love seeing these mid-major players opening up regional breweries here.