Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 1/6/2017 at 7:44 AM, grodney said:

My personal answer to the "saturation" question, which has been asked for a couple years at least:

1) Look at Asheville (or many other "small" craft beer meccas) and compare population to number of breweries.  Charlotte isn't even CLOSE.  Yes, demographics and other factors prevent Charlotte from having the same brewery-per-capita as those places, but we're not even in the ballpark.

2) On some scale, breweries aren't competing against each other, they're competing against Big Beer.  Go to any grocery store.  Go to any bar/restaurant.  As long as you see Big Beer (and "national craft") then there's plenty of room for Charlotte beer.  First is converting the people....that will continue to happen.  Second, shelf and tap space....it's complicated and Big-Beer-Predatory, but it's still there.  Craft beer in the U.S. is only 11% of total beer sales.  96% of the beer consumed in N.C. is made out-of-state.

Interesting quotes.  Thanks for the info!  Personally, I have stopped drinking the Big Beer Makers beers and have stayed local or regional wherever I go.  That includes here in Charlotte or anywhere in the country.  I refuse to pay for junk beer by brewers that are in the U.S., but owned by foreign companies.  I prefer to keep it local.  I promote craft beer wherever I can.

It might be nothing or it might be the beginning of a trend:

There are some signs that big craft brewers (e.g. Stone) are reaching the limits of their growth: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/jan/14/beer-layoffs-reported-green-flash/

There are also indications that the macrobeer acquisition trend of buying micros is over: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-craft-beer-industrys-turf-war-begins-in-earnest-in-2017-2016-12-29

Taken together this may indicate beer market saturation.

I'll reiterate, it might be nothing.... and it might be totally irrelevant to relatively small brewers in NC

Bold Missy is on the SnapFace saying "Late February/Early March".  Last word I'd seen was "Early 2017".

Predictions for Bold Missy from the UP Prediction Game are below.....though JT maybe meant "2017" instead of "2018".

11 HouseBZ 3/23/2017
toz 3/27/2017
hambone931 4/17/2017
grodney 5/3/2017
Clayton 6/15/2017
Hornetshawk 8/1/2017
JT 4/12/2018

22 minutes ago, grodney said:

Bold Missy is on the SnapFace saying "Late February/Early March".  Last word I'd seen was "Early 2017".

Predictions for Bold Missy from the UP Prediction Game are below.....though JT maybe meant "2017" instead of "2018".

11 HouseBZ 3/23/2017
toz 3/27/2017
hambone931 4/17/2017
grodney 5/3/2017
Clayton 6/15/2017
Hornetshawk 8/1/2017
JT 4/12/2018

Whoops yes I did 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

11 HouseBZ 3/23/2017
toz 3/27/2017
hambone931 4/17/2017
grodney 5/3/2017
Clayton 6/15/2017
Hornetshawk 8/1/2017
JT 4/12/2018

For the record, what do you consider "opening"? Soft? Grand? First beer served?

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

For the record, what do you consider "opening"? Soft? Grand? First beer served?

I thought of that, and decided since there's nothing riding on this (other than pride), it doesn't really matter.  hahahaha.  But I'd say open to the general public....not "soft" in the invite-only sense....not the grand opening party (which some have done a week or more after open to the public).  It will be hard to tell in some cases, no doubt.

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

I thought of that, and decided since there's nothing riding on this (other than pride), it doesn't really matter.  hahahaha.  But I'd say open to the general public....not "soft" in the invite-only sense....not the grand opening party (which some have done a week or more after open to the public).  It will be hard to tell in some cases, no doubt.

MY PRIDE IS EVERYTHING.

• Like 2

I went to Free Range for the first time in a while a few weeks ago. It was one of several brewery stops that day. I had one of their pale ales that was good (name escapes me without looking at untappd). They were very busy when we there. Honestly if NoDa and Birdsong were still across the street, I probably would find myself there more. Usually when I go up Davidson, it's straight to Heist now. 

Syacmore's Patrick Hazy recommendation noted. Haven't been there in a while either. Will need to check it out. 

• Like 1

I went to the Blurred Up release at Heist yesterday. It was made crazy in there at 7:30 in the morning. I know some people were bottle sharing outside at 6am too. Every time I go there for one of these, I'm amazed at how far they've come. Hands down the best brewery in Charlotte right now. Also noticed on Beer Advocate that their Citraquench'l is the #9 rated American IPA. Right up there with Trillium, Tree House, etc... Pretty nice company!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/116/

I went to the Blurred Up release at Heist yesterday. It was made crazy in there at 7:30 in the morning. I know some people were bottle sharing outside at 6am too. Every time I go there for one of these, I'm amazed at how far they've come. Hands down the best brewery in Charlotte right now. Also noticed on Beer Advocate that their Citraquench'l is the #9 rated American IPA. Right up there with Trillium, Tree House, etc... Pretty nice company!
https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/116/

I'm drinking a blurred up now while trying to get rid of a hangover.
Went to Legion and Wooden Robot this weekend. Loved them. Went to Craft last night and can't explain how much I love that bar. Also went to gin mill for the first time since I was probably underage, hate it, let it burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is Heist really good now? I've gone on average once a year for the past 6 years and I'm constantly disappointed. I am due for my next annual attempt......

If you like the NE style IPA's then yes. Hazy juice bombs. They are not everyone's style but if you like them, they are the best around, by a long shot. Their big stouts are really good as well. Cataclysm is a monster barrel aged imperial stout that is out of this world good. 

Fair warning, go Thur-Sat if you want to get a NEIPA. They sell out fast and typically have none left early in the week. 

We went to Legion Saturday morning.....re-release of their Maple Brown from their original opening....with a brunch buffet by Roots.  We got there at 9:20 (opened at 9) and nearly every table was taken already.  Good job Plaza Mid millennials dragging your butts out of bed!  It was packed when we left at 10:30ish.  Man I love Saturday brewery brunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Catawba announced they are brewing a CLT area only, double dry hopped IPA to commemorate the opening of the Charlotte location.  Cans and draft. No word yet on if the brewery will open in February or not or if this was actually brewed in CLT (I assume no). 

Thanks!  Facebook replies say "The goal is to open early March!!".

I have to admit, Wooden Robot is by far my favorite brewery in Charlotte!  Their collaboration on the Quad Goggles was incredible!  And in all honesty, I think the move to the new location for Lenny Boy made a HUGE difference!  Much better list of beers, and with the room they have for expansion, it can only get better.  And their food truck outside was awesome too!

The only one that I have to give a big "MEH" to is Dreamchaser's in Waxhaw.  It is not great by a long shot.  It is middle of the road at best.  The only thing saving them right now are the guest taps and the closeness to other locations that help feed business off of each other.

So Wooden Robot's little food truck has been in violation of the residential proximity law this whole time, and as such they're now shut down.  I thought it was also illegal to park food trucks on the street, but I there's probably some twist I'm forgetting.  Anyway, as if they're not cramped for space already, they're removing a lounge area (between the bar and the restrooms) to put in a food counter.  Yikes.  I can only hope the food is better than the greasy gut-bombs they served out of the truck.  Just my opinion, of course.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/79917/dumb-city-rule-shut-twisted-eats-food-truck-theyre-moving-inside/

In other news, Hyde posted a 45-second video to all forms of social media showing their beer and coffee and construction progress....."Arriving 2017".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grodney said:

So Wooden Robot's little food truck has been in violation of the residential proximity law this whole time, and as such they're now shut down.  I thought it was also illegal to park food trucks on the street, but I there's probably some twist I'm forgetting.  Anyway, as if they're not cramped for space already, they're removing a lounge area (between the bar and the restrooms) to put in a food counter.  Yikes.  I can only hope the food is better than the greasy gut-bombs they served out of the truck.  Just my opinion, of course.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/79917/dumb-city-rule-shut-twisted-eats-food-truck-theyre-moving-inside/

In other news, Hyde posted a 45-second video to all forms of social media showing their beer and coffee and construction progress....."Arriving 2017".

Well technically it was a food "trailer" so maybe it didn't apply?

That lounge area they are taking out though was sort of a waste of space (4 leather chairs typically occupied by two people).  A couple more high tops would easily replace that seating lost. That said, you are right, it's too damn small a space for the crowds they get. They have to have a plan to expand in the next few years.

I actually kind of enjoy that lounge area to be honest. Especially when I bring my kid with me, who at times gets overwhelmed by crowds. It was a nice area to hang out at if you wanted to hear the person next to you talk. I love Wooden Robot too, but yea that space gets way too crowded. Good problem to have unless of course you start losing customers because of it. Where around there would they expand to? The convenience is great from the Bland Street station.