Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

OMB  said Monday that it plans to open a new brewing facility in Cornelius. But the size of that brewery depends on changing a state law governing beer distribution.

The brewery will be located in the 51,000 square-foot building formerly occupied by MacLean Curtis, which moved its manufacturing facilities to Mooresville last year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article133825984.html?utm_content=bufferfaa65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by Crown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Sycamore is tweeting that Salty Coconut Red will be available in cans very soon....and stay tuned to social media for the exact release.  I can't think of a Charlotte Favorite beer that I like less than that one.  Okay maybe Triple C Chocolate Covered Pretzel.

May be the worst craft beer I have ever had.  Tasted like what I'd imagine sun tan lotion tastes like. 

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Sycamore is tweeting that Salty Coconut Red will be available in cans very soon....and stay tuned to social media for the exact release.  I can't think of a Charlotte Favorite beer that I like less than that one.  Okay maybe Triple C Chocolate Covered Pretzel.

I've never understood anyone's dislike for Chocolate Covered Pretzel stout. That's probably my favorite Triple C beer. I can see where someone may not like the coconut or mint variants however.

• Like 1

AgendaTed asks whether South Park should have a brewery: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/82009/southpark-needs-a-brewery/

How hard would it be to meet the zoning requirements (I mean ignoring the cost of land/building which has to be prohibitive as well)?  I tried to read the zoning requirements, but I don't understand what any of them are: https://www.municode.com/library/nc/charlotte/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_APXAZO_CH12DESTGEAP_PT5SPRECEUS_S12.544BR

Also funny in that "article" is their map of "17" Charlotte breweries.....the 15 for sure, plus Rock Bottom, plus NoDa's original location, but not Salud.  My end-of-2016 look at "how many breweries":

brewerycount_zpsb666bz58.jpg

p.s. Yeah I'm an outlier on the Chocolate Covered Pretzel Stout.  Just didn't like it.  Can't pinpoint or even remember why.

• Like 1

p.s. Yeah I'm an outlier on the Chocolate Covered Pretzel Stout.  Just didn't like it.  Can't pinpoint or even remember why.

I think everyone has a few beers like that. I can't remember if its Bells' Expedition or Kalamazoo that I can't drink because I SWEAR it tastes like there's soy sauce in it. 

Another article on Resident Culture in Plaza Midwood: http://www.charlottefive.com/resident-culture-plaza-midwood/  It says "summer".  Last update we had was "May".  Edit: Wow I guess they're more active on InstantGrammar than anywhere else....I had no idea their construction was this far along.  My personal prediction of "will not open this year" is looking not-so-great.

Here's my current list of "coming soon" in the alleged order of opening, approximately:

1. Eleven Lakes (Cornelius):  Early 2017
  2. Catawba (Plaza Mid): March
  3. Bold Missy (NoNoDa): April
  4. Resident Culture (Plaza Mid): Summer
  5. Heist 2nd taproom (SoWeNoEnd): Mid-Late Summer
  6. Divine Barrel (NoNoDa): Summer
  7. Seaboard (Matthew): No date given, but floor plans published
  8. Hyde (SouthEnd): No date given that I've seen, but well under construction
  9. OMB 2nd taproom (Cornelius): 2018
  10. Fatheads (SouthEnd mystery): 2018
  11. Artisnal Brewing Ventures / Southern Tier / Victory (mystery): 2017?????

Oh and in non-beer news, Good Road Ciderworks is allegedly opening this month: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/82894/goodroad-ciderworks-opening-march/

Brewery Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Edited by grodney

I feel like the number of new breweries opening has slowed down? Not that I'm complaining because I'm one of those people that has to try everything at least once. Has anyone been to High Branch yet? I went there last month for the first time. That's easily a top 5 local brewery to me. I think the lowest rating on Untappd I gave their beers was a 3.75. Everything else was 4 or higher. Big Sister DIPA was my favorite. Only drawback is that it's up in Concord. Little bit of a hike for us South Charlotte area peeps. 

On 3/2/2017 at 4:31 PM, CriticalT said:

Does anyone know the status of Victory and Southern Tier?  It's been a year since the news of them joining forces and I thought they wanted something in 18 months.  

I think their likely landing spot is actually in permitting already :ph34r:

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think their likely landing spot is actually in permitting already :ph34r:

SPILL THE BEANS DAMMIT!

ObligatoryBreweryDevelopmentNews: Eleven Lakes (Cornelius) made a facebooky comment that they're "hoping for early April", thus displacing the previous estimate of "early 2017".

ObligatoryBeerReview: Anybody had Turtles on Pterodactyls this year?  It's Mexicali Stout aged in bourbon barrels with extra cacao nibs and cinnamon, I believe.  They also jacked up the ABV more this year.  I was a teeny bit disappointed in that the bourbon was overpowered by the chocolate and cinnamon.  For me.  I don't know.  Need more research.

Not a new brewery in Charlotte, but a new brewery available in Charlotte this week.  Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa, Florida is hitting the market this week.  Check out their Jai Alai IPA if you haven't tried it yet (and you like IPAs).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

Not a new brewery in Charlotte, but a new brewery available in Charlotte this week.  Cigar City Brewing out of Tampa, Florida is hitting the market this week.  Check out their Jai Alai IPA if you haven't tried it yet (and you like IPAs).

I'm a big IPA fan, but I'm more excited about Maduro now being available. 2-3 years ago, I would have been tripping over myself to get Jai Alai. Everyone else has caught up or passed it in my book. Still good to have Cigar City available now though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

I'm a big IPA fan, but I'm more excited about Maduro now being available. 2-3 years ago, I would have been tripping over myself to get Jai Alai. Everyone else has caught up or passed it in my book. Still good to have Cigar City available now though.

I haven't had that yet - I'll need to try that!

30 minutes ago, swh1972 said:

We have Cigar City up here for about 1.5 years. How did they skip over Charlotte? Jai Lai is my jam, unfortunately at 14.99+ a six pack of cans, I don't buy it often.

Edited by Guest

Yeah saw on Twitters yesterday that Kit at Trackside in Pineville already has it on the shelves.  I love the Jai Alai and Maduro, but would much rather spend my money locally....there's just not enough difference to make it worth buying non-local.  To me.  And on that note, my Hop Drop 4-packs have been MUCH more consistent the last few months.

p.s. The White Oak Aged Jai Alai is FANTASTIC.....haven't seen that locally yet, but a friend got me a can recently.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

SPILL THE BEANS DAMMIT!

ObligatoryBreweryDevelopmentNews: Eleven Lakes (Cornelius) made a facebooky comment that they're "hoping for early April", thus displacing the previous estimate of "early 2017".

ObligatoryBeerReview: Anybody had Turtles on Pterodactyls this year?  It's Mexicali Stout aged in bourbon barrels with extra cacao nibs and cinnamon, I believe.  They also jacked up the ABV more this year.  I was a teeny bit disappointed in that the bourbon was overpowered by the chocolate and cinnamon.  For me.  I don't know.  Need more research.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/52026-scaleybark-station-area-projects/?page=12

• Like 1