Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

The Craft Freedom approved (apparently) ABC Omnibus Regulation Act was introduced today.  Details forthcoming.  But one of the legislators on hand to answer questions was Jon Hardister.....he's Vice Chair of the ABC Committee.....so that's huge I would think.  He was quoted as saying no distribution cap is needed at all, but if there has to be one it needs to be higher than 25,000 barrels.  Previous attempts to raise the cap haven't even made it out of committee.

In other news, Birdsong is canning Rice Rice Baby (whoa) for release Apr 8 (I believe), and NoDa will be releasing cans of Pacific Reign (Imperial IPA) on Apr 30.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Is the brewery map not stickied here? I somehow don't have it bookmarked :tw_dizzy:

edit, also someone has a spreadsheet with hours and such?

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

There's an icon on the map that will click you into the spreadsheet.....but I haven't verified those hours in  2-3 months. Recommend googling.

Edited by grodney

The Planning Department had a special approval meeting last week to get this guy approved. Found out about it, its for a anonymous Macro Brewer that apparently has seen all the success in Charlotte for brewing and wants a piece of the action. I wonder who it is. I was REALLY disappointed to see the Quik Trip... But the huge patio at Jordan and Brevard looks pretty cool. 

SITE-PLAN.jpg

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The Planning Department had a special approval meeting last week to get this guy approved. Found out about it, its for a anonymous Macro Brewer that apparently has seen all the success in Charlotte for brewing and wants a piece of the action. I wonder who it is. I was REALLY disappointed to see the Quik Trip... But the huge patio at Jordan and Brevard looks pretty cool. 

SITE-PLAN.jpg

I assume when you say Macro Brewer you mean large craft brewer as opposed to say Miller Coors or AB.

I am curious if this is the much anticipated Victory/ST production facility or if this is another large scale craft brewer.  I would love for this to be another mega player in addition to Victory/ST.  Having two big guys plus the plethora of locals would really turn Charlotte into Beertown, USA.

55 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Quik Trip does wonderful landscaping.

If they have to put gas stations in these areas, then for the love of all that is holy, can we please get a high-end store like a Sheetz or Wawa?

Edited by cltbwimob

I heard the rumor that InBev had a contract in place to buy Noda Brewery and had planned a full size production brewery in the area that will allow them regional east coast distribution. Todd and Suzie then plan to use the buyout money to open a Church's Chicken with drive through in the original Noda location.  Dreams do come true!

4 minutes ago, grodney said:

p.s. Will there be some kind of sight-wall erected so the horses don't have to stare at a sausage shop all day?  Pour one out for our barnyard friends.

Neigh. In fact, they are partnering with Neese's for a collaboration pork & clydesdale city sausage. Fresh, never frozen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grodney said:

The QuikTrip really is the piece de resistance.  Brewery Map updated. 

p.s. Will there be some kind of sight-wall erected so the horses don't have to stare at a sausage shop all day?  Pour one out for our barnyard friends.

Glad people enjoyed the April Fools jokes. Amazingly people actually paid me to do these LOL for their social media accounts. No less than 5 people approached me, but I only had time for 2.

Edited by Guest

You all probably saw this, but just in case, see below for bottles/cans coming soon.  I get excited about these since I can't physically make it to the breweries for all the non-packaged stuff.

http://www.charlottefive.com/new-beer-cans/

Summary:

Unknown - Garage Ninja - Mar 29 - IPA (probably only available at the brewery)

Birdsong - Paradise City - Apr 1 - New full-time session IPA

Sugar Creek - IPA and Rasp Wit - April

NoDa - Bandito and Pacific Reign - Apr 21 and Apr 30 - Mexican Lager and Double IPA

Triple C - Dude Imbibes - Apr 22

Lenny Boy - 4 cans - Apr 22 - Citraphilia, Life in the South, Dat Pale, Laughing Yogi

Wooden Robot - Sour Golden - Apr 29

Free Range and Fonta Flora - Corn Bred - May/June

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grodney said:

You all probably saw this, but just in case, see below for bottles/cans coming soon.  I get excited about these since I can't physically make it to the breweries for all the non-packaged stuff.

http://www.charlottefive.com/new-beer-cans/

Summary:

Unknown - Garage Ninja - Mar 29 - IPA (probably only available at the brewery)

Birdsong - Paradise City - Apr 1 - New full-time session IPA

Sugar Creek - IPA and Rasp Wit - April

NoDa - Bandito and Pacific Reign - Apr 21 and Apr 30 - Mexican Lager and Double IPA

Triple C - Dude Imbibes - Apr 22

Lenny Boy - 4 cans - Apr 22 - Citraphilia, Life in the South, Dat Pale, Laughing Yogi

Wooden Robot - Sour Golden - Apr 29

Free Range and Fonta Flora - Corn Bred - May/June

Hope this isn't a joke, because this name is amazing.

17760094_1232571776792177_1990600798433374877_n.jpg

Hadn't heard of the The Plaza site, and can't link it to any of the known ones that are looking for space (dukbone, petty thieves, red paw, forty-two, etc).  Katie's article says "FINE PLAZA LLC".  That would be Ben S Huh (not the Cheezburger Ben Huh) of W***** W** in Waxhaw/Marvin, who also incorporated "Fine Bread Monroe Inc" with an address on Roosevelt Blvd in Monroe in Sept 2015.  In a quick google-stalking, didn't see anything related to brewing, and only found his house co-owend by a "M** * L**".

Nice, data-driven,  article on the slowing growth of the craft beer industry (not specific to Charlotte). Also a good bit of discussion on how the trends may not be all that relevant (beware of confirmation bias). http://www.thedrinkingclasses.com/outlook-craft-beer-2017/

I am not a doomsayer (I certainly don't think established micros are going anywhere), but I think we are all wondering when the breakneck expansion in Charlotte will need to end. If the industry is successful in raising NC's distribution cap I think life will get more difficult for the truly tiny guys (Nomad, Blaze...)  since it will be harder to get tap space at local places due to the wider (and cheaper?) availability of our "macro-micros" OMB, NoDa, Unknown, etc.

EDIT: In this context, WTF is up with Southern Tier / Victory? Sorry to behave like an impatient 9 year old, I really like Hopdevil.

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Nice, data-driven,  article on the slowing growth of the craft beer industry (not specific to Charlotte). Also a good bit of discussion on how the trends may not be all that relevant (beware of confirmation bias). http://www.thedrinkingclasses.com/outlook-craft-beer-2017/

I am not a doomsayer (I certainly don't think established micros are going anywhere), but I think we are all wondering when the breakneck expansion in Charlotte will need to end. If the industry is successful in raising NC's distribution cap I think life will get more difficult for the truly tiny guys (Nomad, Blaze...)  since it will be harder to get tap space at local places due to the wider (and cheaper?) availability of our "macro-micros" OMB, NoDa, Unknown, etc.

EDIT: In this context, WTF is up with Southern Tier / Victory? Sorry to behave like an impatient 9 year old, I really like Hopdevil.

Shouldn't be more than a few weeks from announcement, I believe the lease is signed.