Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Had a Hop Drop at the Company Store last night... wish I still liked that beer. They were out of the Juicy Jay (called Juicy Joey after one of the owners) which also I heard has been inconsistent lately, so I had a paradise city, which was just meh. Went to salud after that, what an awesome spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Had a Hop Drop at the Company Store last night... wish I still liked that beer. They were out of the Juicy Jay (called Juicy Joey after one of the owners) which also I heard has been inconsistent lately, so I had a paradise city, which was just meh. Went to salud after that, what an awesome spot!

I find the Juicy Jay inconsistent too...it's always really good IMO, but its best at Legion itself. It pours super opaque there and looks like pineapple juice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Between the Co Store and Salud/Fud NoDa is killing it with the homeyness lately.

• Like 1

Between the Co Store and Salud/Fud NoDa is killing it with the homeyness lately.

Love Co Store, one of their owners is a UP poster from way back. I can happily say I designed their logo. NoDa had a fantastic vibe last night, and walking down 36th seeing light rail in the distance was amazing. Like seeing the future.

Pop the Top opens at Camden Gallery today. They're still building stock so it's just a soft open. Super cozy and the patio is gonna kill it. 24 taps with prices ranging $5.50-$7 so standard for craft beer outside a brewery. 

Selection of beer to buy is still being stocked so hard to say how it'll be in the end but they have a TON of space for cold beer which is great. Being in my building, this place can just take all my money now. 

^ It's not just archaic, it is a state sponsored monopoly, unnecessary regulation/bureaucracy and anti-freemarket, which is supposed to stand in stark contrast to the supposed ideals of most of those who are backing this, or benefit from them.  The irony I'll assume is obvious.

Would love to donate a little to their efforts to fight this but didn't see a place to do that, however petition and other links can be found here: http://craftfreedom.org/

Hello Here is a cause near and dear to me as volunteer here. If you can drink one for USO, our troops thank you. See below list and kudos to Charlotte area brewers coming out in full force. (the links don't work from this email but you probably know where all of these are anyway) Thanks!

On May 20, 2017, North Carolina’s breweries, restaurants and bottle shops are participating in our Armed Forces Day Salute For Patriots. They are rallying together supporting a single cause: helping North Carolina’s service members and their families.

Our goal for the campaign was to encourage participation among 75 breweries, restaurants and bottle shops participate, in honor of the USO of North Carolina’s 75th Anniversary of continuously supporting service members and their families. Today we have more than 80 breweries, restaurants and bottle shops participating by giving back a portion of profits or donations that will benefit the USO of North Carolina throughout the month. Boldfoot will also be donating a percentage of sales to the USO of NC throughout Armed Forces Week.   See which companies are participating in your area by checking out the list below, and don’t forget to stop by these locations near you on Saturday, May 20th to show your support for our nation’s service members and military families.

Join in the conversation on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using #SaluteForPatriots

Asheboro, NC: Four Saints Brewing Company

Asheville, NC: Green Man Brewing Company (May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day only); Highland Brewing Company; Hi Wire Brewing; Twin Leaf Brewery

Cary, NC: Jordan lake Brewing

Charlotte, NC: Bold Missy Brewery; Legion Brewing Company; Lenny Boy Brewing Company; Noda Brewing Company (May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day Event); Olde Mecklenburg Brewing Company; Red Clay Ciderworks;Rock Bottom Brewery (May 19, 2017 only); Sanctuary Brewing; Southern Range Brewery; Sycamore Brewing;Wooden Robot Brewing Company; The Unknown Brewing Company; Triple C Brewing Company, Blackfinn AmeriPub (Ballantyne location), Duckworth’s (May 16, 2017 only 4PM-9PM); Pizza Peel (Cotswald), Pizza Peel(Plaza Midwood), Sir Edmunds Halley’s; Carolina Beer Temple

Concord, NC: Cabarrus Brewing Company; Twenty-Six Acres Brewing Company

Cornelius, NC: Bayne Brewing Company; D9 Brewing Company

Fayetteville, NC: Bright Light Brewery; Huske Hardware House Restaurant and Brewery; Mash House ; World Of Beer

Fletcher, NC: Blue Ghost Brewing

Fuquay-Varina, NC: Fainting Goat Brewing Company; TCB - The Corner Biergarten

Gastonia, NC: Cavendish Brewing Company

Granite Falls, NC: Granite Falls Brewing Company

Greensboro, NC: Natty Greene’s (July 26 Only - 10% promotion, all sales); Pig Pounder Brewing Company,World of Beer

Hendersonville, NC: Sanctuary Brewing

Hickory, NC: American Honor Ale House ; Amos Howards Brewing Comp; Olde Hickory Brewing

High Point, NC: Brown Truck Brewery

Hope Mills, NC: Dirtbag Ales (May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day Only)

Matthews, NC: Carolina Beer Temple (Matthews Station #1C); Temple Mojo Growler Shop; Seaboard Taproom

Mooresville, NC: Ghostface Brewing Company

Mint Hill, NC: Barking Duck

Monroe, NC: Southern Range Brewery

Rocky Mount, NC: Koi Pond Brewing Company

Salisbury, NC: Morgan Ridge Railwalk Brewery (May 24 Only - 10% promotion)

Southport, NC: Check Six Brewing Company

Wilmington, NC: Bill’s Front Porch Pub and Brewery; Flytrap Brewery (5:00-8:00 PM only, May 20);Wilmington Home Brewing; Wrightsville Beach Brewery

West Jefferson, NC: Boondocks Brewing Company

Waxhaw, NC: Dreamchasers Brewing (Memorial Day event)

Waynesville, NC: Frog Level Brewing Company

Huge thank you to our additional partners supporting this campaign: Ass Clown Brewery, Blind Squirrel Brewery, Heist Brewing, Foothills Brewing Company , Flying Saucer, Salud Bottle Shop; Trader Joes (East Arbors Dr. Charlotte store); Southern Pines Brewing; Birdsong Brewery; Walmart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agenda "article" saying that Petty Theives is close to having a location nailed down....between NoDa and Plaza Mid....but fails to name the location.  That general description matches the zoning request at 2501 The Plaza.....but I don't see any obvious connection between the zoning petitioner and the Petty Thieves guy.  Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Anwway, the real punchline is "Look for Petty Thieves to be open by the end of the year.".

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/91010/pop-brewery-close-finding-permanent-home-plaza-midwood-noda/

Brewery Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

For those that went to Bold Missy, what is the consensus on the first round of beers?  

For me, the lineup does nothing for me as I can get those kinds of beers anywhere (and I don't live anywhere near Noda).  Just curious on what others thought.  I am sure I will make it up there sometime when they have something interesting on.  This and Blue Blaze are some of the few exceptions to where I didn't really get excited for a brewery opening. The concentration of breweries all in one area, to me, is getting a little old. 

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

^^the facebook photo of the floor plan matches the rezoning petition floor plan.

Well there you go!  I saw that facebook pic this morning, but didn't make the connection.  Good job.  So the 2501, 2525, 2513, etc in the facebook pic must be the addresses of the multiple tenants.  Mystery solved......other than the connection between the two guys, but whatever.

Dreamchasers in Waxhaw is celebrating their one year anniversary this weekend.  Special canning of an Anniversary IPA and Yard Breather, their NE IPA (which is very good).  I haven't been out there yet (that will change tonight) but the beers I've had from them at festivals and whatnot have all been good.  I will be curious to see what kinds of crowds they get in downtown Waxhaw. 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Dreamchasers in Waxhaw is celebrating their one year anniversary this weekend.  Special canning of an Anniversary IPA and Yard Breather, their NE IPA (which is very good).  I haven't been out there yet (that will change tonight) but the beers I've had from them at festivals and whatnot have all been good.  I will be curious to see what kinds of crowds they get in downtown Waxhaw. 

Downtown Waxhaw is marketing themselves full force ("The Haw" anyone? :rolleyes: )

I've probably heard radio ads for their new mill lofts dozens of time this past week ("It's a lifestyle!" :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

Dreamchasers was completely full last night from 6-8. Like completely full. Great space. Quick service too for the amount of people there (looking at you wooden robot). Talked to some local waxhaw residents and they said that crowd is pretty typical for a Friday night.  

Their NEIPA's are great. They aren't Heist level but they are damn good. 

I will be back. 

2 hours ago, kermit said:

NC beer now spans the globe:

A Wicked Weed sour is on the board in a tourist beer bar in Bern Switzerland.

(Almost certainly unrelated to AB Inbev)

I was in Amsterdam a few months ago and both Westbrook and Wicked Weed were on tap there as well. I had to do a double take seeing them on the menu with Westy 12.

Edited by InSouthPark

On 5/18/2017 at 8:34 AM, InSouthPark said:

For those that went to Bold Missy, what is the consensus on the first round of beers?  

For me, the lineup does nothing for me as I can get those kinds of beers anywhere (and I don't live anywhere near Noda).  Just curious on what others thought.  I am sure I will make it up there sometime when they have something interesting on.  This and Blue Blaze are some of the few exceptions to where I didn't really get excited for a brewery opening. The concentration of breweries all in one area, to me, is getting a little old. 

My review of the Bold Missy standard four is best represented by a picture of my finished flight. Honestly not bad overall for a week old brewery, I've definitely left brand new breweries with less nice things to say - everyone improves after the first few weeks though. The brown definitely needs a do-over, but the IPA is decent and the seasonal dubble was quite good.

They do have a few items to work on - no one seems to plan on acoustic control until it's obvious you need it. I also predict they'll rearrange the bar at some point, the layout seems very inefficient for busy times. Their dogs are great though, I didn't even know they'd have food. (Or wine.)

All in all, I look forward to going back. Mark it as the beginning of NoNoDa.

20170521_163729.jpg

20170521_163447.jpg

20170521_163436.jpg

• Like 3