Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Charlotte City Council passed an ordinance to start alcohol sales at 10am on Sundays.  Yay!  It goes into effect this Sunday.

Charlotte Mag has early reaction from breweries and drinkeries: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/July-2017/Local-breweries-craft-beer-bars-react-to-Brunch-Bill/

Summary:

Will open at 10am: Heist, Lenny Boy, Salud (panther home games), Sycamore, Unknown, Pop the Top (once football starts)

No change (or no immediate change): Birdsong, OMB, Sugar Creek, Thirsty Nomad, Triple C, Wooden Robot, Catawba, Legion, Good Bottle

Will change at some point: Blue Blaze

Mixed response: NoDa, Craft, Duckworth's

Well, assuming Hyde really opens this coming Mon Jul 31 as promised, we can award another winner in the Brewery Prediction Game:

JT 5/5/2017
Clayton 9/11/2017
hambone931 9/13/2017
11HouseBZ 9/28/2017
toz 10/1/2017
grodney 12/1/2017
Hornetshawk not in 2017

Congratulations "Clayton"!!!  Really pretty amazing that Clayton through toz were all within 3 weeks of each other.  We made these predictions back in December, and Hyde hadn't even given a tentative guess yet.....so Sept-ish instead of Jul 31 is really pretty good, right?  Nice job.

In other "coming soon" news, Resident Culture started serving their first two beers (an 8% double IPA and a 6.7% IPA) at VBGB, ummmm, last night I think.  I drove by their brewery this week, and it didn't LOOK very close to opening, but they keep saying they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Well, assuming Hyde really opens this coming Mon Jul 31 as promised, we can award another winner in the Brewery Prediction Game:

JT 5/5/2017
Clayton 9/11/2017
hambone931 9/13/2017
11HouseBZ 9/28/2017
toz 10/1/2017
grodney 12/1/2017
Hornetshawk not in 2017

Congratulations "Clayton"!!!  Really pretty amazing that Clayton through toz were all within 3 weeks of each other.  We made these predictions back in December, and Hyde hadn't even given a tentative guess yet.....so Sept-ish instead of Jul 31 is really pretty good, right?  Nice job.

In other "coming soon" news, Resident Culture started serving their first two beers (an 8% double IPA and a 6.7% IPA) at VBGB, ummmm, last night I think.  I drove by their brewery this week, and it didn't LOOK very close to opening, but they keep saying they are.

I'd like to thank god, my preacher and my parents. My producer, director, and my entire writing staff. I'd also like to thank Oprah, without her, I wouldn't be the person I am today. 

I was caught up in all the excitement about RDF's victory and I accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread (from 2012). There was lots of talk about home brewing (something that everyone appears to have given up on). The first post in the tread included this list of the state of Charlotte beer in early 2012 (we have come a _very_ long way).

Highlights since Jan 2011:

NoDa Brewery Opens

Birdsong Brewery Opens

Heist Brewery Opens

Triple C Brewery ALMOST open

World of Beer ALMOST open

The 1st Annual Queen City Brewers Festival takes place

The 3rd Annual Charlotte Craft Beer week takes place

I remember saying to myself at the time "there is no way Triple C can survive given all the competition." and "what a crappy location, all by itself in the middle of nowhere"

OMB opened in 2007. I also remember thinking "why in the hell would I drive down to a bunch of warehouses off Old Pineville just to get a beer?"

PS: Where TF is Southern Tier / Victory? Is it time to give up on them? 

23 minutes ago, kermit said:

I was caught up in all the excitement about RDF's victory and I accidentally clicked on the first page of this thread (from 2012). There was lots of talk about home brewing (something that everyone appears to have given up on). The first post in the tread included this list of the state of Charlotte beer in early 2012 (we have come a _very_ long way).

I remember saying to myself at the time "there is no way Triple C can survive given all the competition." and "what a crappy location, all by itself in the middle of nowhere"

OMB opened in 2007. I also remember thinking "why in the hell would I drive down to a bunch of warehouses off Old Pineville just to get a beer?"

Their lease is signed. Not sure why there hasn't been an announement

23 minutes ago, kermit said:

I want to say Southern Tier/Victory will be operating the brewpub at the Bowers Fabric redevelopment.  Or it was strongly hinted that way in one of these threads.

Just now, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I want to say Southern Tier/Victory will be operating the brewpub at the Bowers Fabric redevelopment.  Or it was strongly hinted that way in one of these threads.

correctomundo

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Yep, I made a batch about 8 years ago, haven't since, far too many good local brews to make one lazy.

8 minutes ago, nowensone said:

Yep, I made a batch about 8 years ago, haven't since, far too many good local brews to make one lazy.

My homebrew store closed last year, haven't been able to find a new one, so I stopped. I like to smell the grains before I buy. Can't do that online.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Homebrewing was a necessity back then because the quality of beer selection in Charlotte was awful.  There was once a time when Rock Bottom was all we had.  And well before that in the mid/late 90's - mid aught's, when there was that brewpub in South End, Southend Brewery & Smokehouse, or something like that.

Edited by ah59396
date

26 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Homebrewing was a necessity back then because the quality of beer selection in Charlotte was awful.  There was once a time when Rock Bottom was all we had.  And well before that in the mid/late 90's - mid aught's, when there was that brewpub in South End, Southend Brewery & Smokehouse, or something like that.

Interestingly SouthEnd Brewery was open still in Charleston until it became a Lagunitas outpost. 

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Funny... I still think of this a "new" thread.  Hard to believe its 5 years already.

• Like 1

Maybe 1997 or so there was a brewpub in what is now the Bakersfield space on East Boulevard. Earliest one I know of. I went to the association meeting when they presented and the question of smell was raised as a side effect of brewing. The business was approved and they built and ran a small brew operation as an adjunct to the restaurant for a few years. Name?-no idea.

• Like 1

I was off by eight years, HA! Thank you for the memory and the memory correction.

10 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Dilworth Brewing Company.

There were lots of brass fixtures and ferns inside. Its been a while but the beer was.....unexecptional

http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2009/09/dilworth-brewing-company.html

Edited by tarhoosier

I just saw on the social webagrams that Sycamore is celebrating national IPA day this Thursday with seven IPAs on tap at just $3 a pint and a free glass. I know where I'll be. I tried their newest IPA yesterday, Citropical, and it is unreal good. Plus Patrick Hazy will be on tap. If any of you guys make it, look for me in a green Russian River shirt. I'll buy you a beer.

Resident Culture (Plaza Mid) "grand opening" 8/31.  

Also, Triple C re-branding and canning the smoked Amber: http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/August-2017/Triple-C-revamps-Smoked-Amber-to-Grill-Friend/

18 hours later: Didn't I post this last night? I thought I did....sorry if this is a double post. Now I can't find where Resident Culture gave that date. I think it was in an IG comment and they deleted it.