Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Just had my first Jucy Jay at Moo and Brew. Thought it was OK, but I kinda got the sense it was like 3 day old bread, the hops weren't very crisp. Gotta try it straight from the source.

also just had my first countryside IPA. Feels like the Ford Focus of beers (not a Fiat but certainly not a Toyota either). It would be fantastic if pints were $3.50.

Edited by kermit

Hyde tweetered yesterday: "Beginning tmrw NOON through the end of PGA week, [Suffolk Punch] taphouse will begin pouring [Hyde Brewing]!!".  They had previously said they wouldn't have their own beer until their grand opening later this month.  So I don't know exactly what this means....i.e. will they have their own beer after this week (since they said "through the end of PGA week")?  Unclear.

In a related anecdote, I jumped off the train Tuesday to get coffee at Suffolk Punch.  Pretty underwhelming.  The place was cool and all, but at 6:50am the service was dismal, and the smallest iced* coffee they had was $5.00.  That's coffee and ice.  5 dollars.  Having said that, it was indeed pretty delicious.

*I asked for cold brew, but they said they don't have cold brew.....only iced coffee.  I don't really drink coffee, but I thought cold brew was all the rage these days, so was surprised by this....but maybe it's such a rage that it's too pedestrian for a cool place like this.....I don't know.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 7:47 PM, kermit said:

We are approaching the time when the original NoDa tap room was supposed to reopen (they said 12-18 months when the closed the doors last July). Anybody heard anything? Is the plan for it to be focused on sours?

They specifically said not until light rail opens due to the parking situation. 

• Like 1

^ For real! It was What He's Having, I didn't investigate the price on the What She's Having or any other 'fancier' beers.

On the positive side Craft has $3 pints on Tuesdays, its a limited selection (about 6-7 beers to choose from for $3) but its not bad.

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Holy crap! Pints at Wooden Robot are now $7?

what has the world become?

#oldguyproblems

I enjoy craft beer, but I honestly will just start drinking cocktails if beer is going to cost almost as much as one anyway.

I find it absurd that I can get local beers cheaper at bars than I can at the breweries that produce it.

13 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I enjoy craft beer, but I honestly will just start drinking cocktails if beer is going to cost almost as much as one anyway.

I find it absurd that I can get local beers cheaper at bars than I can at the breweries that produce it.

I spend $14-18 per cocktail up here. Beers are still about $7 when they are Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens made at least, I have been to a few places that make you pay $9-10 though. Not sure how they justify.

Since this isn't a RDF21 spends too much money on alcohol in NYC thread...

$7 is pretty steep. I miss going to Charlotte and having my bar tabs be 1/2 price.

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, Niner National said:

Oddly there was a rant in the Charlotte Agenda a while back where a bar owner was complaining that breweries were undercutting their pricing (which really doesn't seem to be happening) 

17 hours ago, kermit said:

Has anybody had any Good Will Hopping this summer? I almost bought a batch from the teeter, but it was $17 for four and was dated 7/7 so I got scared off. Looks pretty alluring though.

It's pretty good - better than I remembered. Not up to the standard of a Heist NE IPA, but if you see at a reasonable price definitely worth a shot. 

• Like 1

Hyde / Suffolk Punch (what do they want to be called?) has succeeded in opening a market that has not been touched by any Charlotte brewer -- 2-4 year olds and their moms. There was a very large sing-along party on the patio this morning around 11.

I still have not been inside but I think I might really enjoy a good coffee shop which was also a brewery. A beer and coffee joint that was open 18 hours a day would be a huge neighborhood builder.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:50 AM, Jayvee said:

Resident Culture opens September 2

Their social media is saying "grand opening" on Sep 2.  Any idea if they're open to the public before that?  (I'm only asking because of the "guess the open date" game, and it doesn't even matter in that context.)

Edited by grodney

On 8/22/2017 at 11:09 AM, archiham04 said:

^This does not answer  your questions and may not be new, but Hop Shop is serving Resident Culture beer already.  It. Is. Good.

Good Bottle also had a few of these last week, really good stuff - looking like they'll be one of the top handful of CLT breweries based on those beers at least. 

^ about damn time. Still no word on the brewery I guess.

There was an article in the WSJ yesterday on sales declines at most of the macro-micros (the former craft breweries that have been purchased and gone national). While the article took an ominous tone it was hard to make a ton of sense of their data. There was no information about sales of actual craft brewers.