Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Don't think there will be a production brewery.  I believe this is it.

25 BBL brew house for "innovative" brews and in house collaborations.  10K BBL/year production.  Was really hoping to have something on par with Stone here in Richmond; this place sounds like a total yawn fest relative to Stones massive brewery.  Can't believe this is what they were keeping under wraps for so long.

OMB Mecktoberfest releases today.  Sycamore Gourd Have Mercy in cans (for the first time) on Thursday.  NoDa Gordgeous Friday. 

I'm always good for a 6-pack of Mecktoberfest, and many many 4-packs of Gordgeous.  Can't remember if I liked Gourd Have Mercy on tap last year, so a 4-pack feeler will be in order.  Weather isn't quite right yet for any of it, but this morning's low 60's was a good start.

• Like 1

Here's an "article" on Resident Culture: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/102010/resident-culture-charlottes-newest-brewery-opens-saturday-september-2-plaza-midwood/

including this beer list:

IMG_2665.jpg

I think the Sep 2 opening is pretty safe....and really I've seen lots of pics of people drinking there already, so let's go to the Prediction Contest board and see how we did.....congrats to Hornetshawk (i.e. my wife) on her otherworldly prediction powers.  We made these picks in December when their opening was "Spring 2017".

11 HouseBZ 4/12/2017
Clayton 5/1/2017
toz 7/4/2017
Hornetshawk 9/1/2017
JT 11/16/2017
hambone931 not in 2017
grodney

not in 2017

Still on the prediction contest board are Seaboard (Matthews) (no date), Divine Barrel (NoNoDa) (Summer 2017), and Heist's 2nd Taproom (North End) (Apr-Jun 2017).

19 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

What is LoSo?

Cheesy name for the area with OMB, Queen Park Social, Broken Spoke, Sugar Creek.  Brewery District or Queen Park sound way better if we have to name every area but unfortunately LoSo stuck.  Here's where the brewery is going at the corner of Old Pineville and Yancey

Rendering of the Bowers facility.

Not sure if this news about Southern Tier / Victory has made it here:

Located in Charlotte, the 28,000 square foot brewery with capacity to produce a modest 10,000 barrels annually is slated to host a production brewhouse, fermentation cellar, packaging lines, a quality assurance lab, a tasting room, indoor and outdoor space, and a total capacity of up to 700 guests. Additionally, the companies say they plan to hire “in excess” of 100 people as a result of the expansion. 

10,000 barrels is about twice as big as Birdsong (I think)

From Good Beer Hunting: http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2017/8/24/southern-tier-victory-charlotte

Went to Resident Culture on Sunday right at open (Noon), and I'll give it a big "wow".  The place is fantastic, really well done, TONS of space.  Indoor/outdoor, sun/shade, whatever you want.  The beer was really good -- certainly above average, which is great for a new place.  Seemed to have plenty of staff on hand.  I had 5 different ipas/pales, and all were good.  The big problem is no variety of beer styles, and everything is hoppy.  They had a bunch of ipas/pales, and then a blonde, a gose, and a pils.  My wife got the blonde --- I tasted it and thought they poured an IPA by mistake.  Only other slight dig would be a small parking lot....but they did have a sign pointing to "overflow parking", maybe in the next lot south?  Overall came away just really impressed.

Also went to Sycamore brunch on Sunday right at 10am.  Steady stream of people coming in, until it was fairly crowded by Noon.  Maybe the holiday weekend helped, but there were a lot of people for yoga at 11am, live music, TIN Kitchen with a half-assed brunch menu along with their full regular menu, and lots of millennial ladies parting with $14 for a half-glass of cheap prosecco with a $3 king of pop in it -- but whatever.  A good time was had by all.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, grodney said:

So......the branding?  What's it going to be called?  Interesting the rendering shows both Southern Tier and Victory signs on the exterior.  Also, "March 2018".  Okay.

They have a pretty big-name commercial contractor on the job... and they're also a well established business that has done this before, so I think next Spring is a reasonable target date. 

32 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

so I think next Spring is a reasonable target date. 

We will make our predictions in December!  (But yes, I was thinking that they're experienced, so maybe.  They probably haven't dealt with CharMeck before, though, which seems to bear a lot of the blame from others.  Who knows.....maybe that's built into their estimate!)

Edited by grodney

Blue Blaze is doing an "Oktoberfest" in cans.....which is labeled "Alpine Wiesen" and is an ale, not a lager.  So whatevs.  That makes Mecktoberfest, Catawba Festbier, and Blue Blaze Alpine Wiesen for Okty-style-ish local packaged beers.  Am I forgetting any?  NoDa is doing an Okt, but I don't think they're canning it.

Blue Blaze is doing a Panthers tailgate Sunday....open at 10, brunch buffet (8.50/plate) at 10:30, etc. 

Of course Sycamore is doing a tailgate, starting at 10, including rides to the game.

Blue Blaze extended their hours....now open 7 days......MTW 4-9, Th 3-10, F 2-11, Sa 12-11, Su 12-8.

Lenny Boy extended their hours.....now open Tuesdays.

Edited by grodney

Went to Resident Culture last night, and like GRODNEY, came away super impressed.  Inside, outside, the beer, the staff...all top notch.  In one visit, it has already risen to one of my top spots to visit, especially if the weather is nice.  Their outdoor seating area is larger than everyone minus Olde Meck. 

I will say though, this is an IPA lovers kind of place.  6 IPA's on tap and another 2-3 Pale Ales.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wooden Robot Gastropub expansion is on the way (sounds like seating and a kitchen for Twisted Eats): http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article176099401.html

Its interesting since Twisted Eats now has a kitchen across the street and they golfcart meals over to WR currently.

Edited by kermit