Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

5 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Salud has been brewing at OG Heist for a year now so it isn’t them. 

https://www.charlottefive.com/new-heist-facility/

Pilot would had to have a terrible business plan if they fold this quick.  

No way Free Range would be 100k...I would drain my own accounts at that price.  It’s a smaller brew house but it’s not some Frankenstein system like Thirsty Nomad.  

I would bet a good beer that it’s Nomad. I mean the guy is still kegging into home brew kegs. 

holy hell!  i am getting the impression that I am a lousy beer drinker (in my own mind that is)!!!  I guess my constant rooting for the underdog is going to get the best of me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRNYP2C said:

holy hell!  i am getting the impression that I am a lousy beer drinker (in my own mind that is)!!!  I guess my constant rooting for the underdog is going to get the best of me!

Nah...drink what you like!

I have been to TN multiple times so my daughter could go to Harry Potter trivia. I have a couple really good beers there (mostly stouts). But I had some really bad beers too and some mediocre ones. 

Its hard to compete with others brewing on fully automated systems.  Charlotte is full of top notch breweries now and you have to be on top of your game to compete.  Take Town for instance. Nice place. Good beer. I’ve been there exactly once because I can get better beer closer to me.  Doesn’t deter it from being a great neighborhood place though.  Just not a “destination” for me.  

Thirsty Nomad is stuck without a neighborhood and without a niche. 

• Like 1

Hey homebrewers!  I'm one too.....92 lifetime batches.....started in January 2001.  I do 5-gallon extract with a few cups of grains for color and mouthfeel and whatnot.  Mostly recipe kits from Alterative Beverage, but some self-recipes and the occasional Northern Brewer kit through the years.  Started kegging around batch 40.  Nowadays I drink for a couple-few days out of the keg, then bottle the rest straight from the keg.  I used to brew way more often, but I'm down to a couple batches a year now.

Also started brewing kombucha last fall with my daughter.  Have a wide-mouth 5-gallon glass carboy with a bottom spigot for continuous brew.  We have a massive scoby in there.  Nom nom nom!

2001, that's impressive! I started 2009/2010 and average 6-9 batches a year. That said, since I started Kegging in December, I feel my brewing frequency has gone up (at 1 per month since getting kegs).  I feel like this hobby is such a rabbit hole, but love it.

Not sure if everyone has been to Heist in North End...but damn what a different experience from the NoDa brewpub!  

Beautiful taproom, huge grassy shaded area with tables, super laid back.  It’s still not fully built out outside, but this new location now sits top 3 locales for me.  I hated the brewpub because of the lack of “brewery feel”.  The new spot totally nails it.   Always have loved the beers.  Once word gets out fully, this will be a massively popular spot (it was quite busy this afternoon).  

• Like 3

On 4/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, Jayvee said:

stay tuned...its gonna be awesome...more deets soon.

Great stuff guys: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/162911/d9-brewing-company-pavillion-at-uptown-brewery/

That concert pavilion was a curve ball...that could be a very cool hangout spot.  What I think will help make this retail here successful is the combination of this brewery and the Japanese BBQ joint.  Those are two great tenants and I think they will feed off of each other (customer-wise).  That's a solid amount of retail at Savoy - happy to see this within 277!

13 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Great stuff guys: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/162911/d9-brewing-company-pavillion-at-uptown-brewery/

That concert pavilion was a curve ball...that could be a very cool hangout spot.  

How permanent do we think that pavilion space is? What's the hot take on that space getting infilled in the next 10 years by the owners?

IMG_20190408_075805.png

I don't understand that locator map.  The brewery is the little box?  And the pavillion is the grass?  And they're not connected?  Huh.  So I guess a bar at each space then?  Works for me.

The "number of breweries in Charlotte" question just became even more confusing.  If you count D9 as a Charlotte Brewery, then this is a 2nd location, which you may or may not count.  If you don't count D9 as a Charlotte Brewery, then this is a Charlotte location for an out-of-town brewery (like Catawba), which you may or may not count.  Hahahaha.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

I don't understand that locator map.  The brewery is the little box?  And the pavillion is the grass?  And they're not connected?  Huh.  So I guess a bar at each space then?  Works for me.

The "number of breweries in Charlotte" question just became even more confusing.  If you count D9 as a Charlotte Brewery, then this is a 2nd location, which you may or may not count.  If you don't count D9 as a Charlotte Brewery, then this is a Charlotte location for an out-of-town brewery (like Catawba), which you may or may not count.  Hahahaha.

Check out the story...the little box 900 SF and is just the coffeeshop component. A big pavilion is going to be built on the grass thatll house the taproom and brewspace. The grass is huge, 8,000 SF, and will have plenty of space. 

Edited by Jayvee

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

That concert pavilion was a curve ball...that could be a very cool hangout spot.  What I think will help make this retail here successful is the combination of this brewery and the Japanese BBQ joint.  Those are two great tenants and I think they will feed off of each other (customer-wise).  That's a solid amount of retail at Savoy - happy to see this within 277!

I'm really excited about this.  D9 is easily one of my favorite regional breweries, but getting out there is such a PITA that I never make it.   They aren't afraid to get weird with the beers that they make, but they are almost always executed well.  If you ever get a chance to pick the owners' brains about beer, do it.  They know their stuff and have a lot of interesting stories about how they got started and how they operate.

10 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Check out the story...the little box 900 SF and is just the coffeeshop component. A big pavilion is going to be built on the grass thatll house the taproom and brewspace. The grass is huge, 8,000 SF, and will have plenty of space. 

Oh right thanks!  I had read it, but read it too fast!  Thanks for the clarification.

32 minutes ago, grodney said:

What happened to Fonta Flora taproom?  And Hyde at Noble Smoke?  Anyway, map updated to add D9 Uptown Pavillion:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Last I heard the FF tap room is still on the way in Optimist Hall, although it will likely be delayed past OH opening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Good lord, yet another that wasn't on my radar.  Traust Brewing coming to Wesley Heights "this Fall" (double it and add 30 for the actual opening date of July 2020):

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/162974/traust-brewing-company-wesley-heights-brewery/

Map updated: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

I'm having a hard time with the nordic/scandanavian thing. So is this like the ikea of breweries? 

9 minutes ago, Crown said:

I'm having a hard time with the nordic/scandanavian thing. So is this like the ikea of breweries? 

Viking beer!  I like Scandinavian beers a lot.  Nothing warms the soul quite like dark lagers and strong ales.  

I wonder how long it will take for them to realize that they probably won't make money that way and they need to have 5-6 IPAs on tap at all times (slightly sarcastic, but not really).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crown said:

Forgot to put it in the story for clarity.. Each beer name will have a lot of extra consonants, “flurgen” will likely be one of the names and MOST of the beers you’ll have to assemble yourself but an Allen wrench is included. Oh, and all decor will be Malm. :)

But for real, as reference check out Omnipollo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

Viking beer!  I like Scandinavian beers a lot.  Nothing warms the soul numbs you to the bitter cold quite like dark lagers and strong ales.  

I wonder how long it will take for them to realize that they probably won't make money that way and they need to have 5-6 IPAs on tap at all times (slightly sarcastic, but not really).

ftfy ;)

• Haha 2