Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

47 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Forgot to put it in the story for clarity.. Each beer name will have a lot of extra consonants, “flurgen” will likely be one of the names and MOST of the beers you’ll have to assemble yourself but an Allen wrench is included. Oh, and all decor will be Malm. :)

But for real, as reference check out Omnipollo 

Omnipollo makes beer in Sweden but 95% of their beers are american style, LOL!     

Also: Omnipollo is one of the best breweries in Europe for these Americanized styles like barrel aged pastry stouts and NEIPA.   I get a lot of access to their stuff when I am over in Germany (and they are actually building their only other taproom in Hamburg  which will be  a 5min ubahn trip from my hotel). 

9 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Omnipollo makes beer in Sweden but 95% of their beers are american style, LOL!     

Also: Omnipollo is one of the best breweries in Europe for these Americanized styles like barrel aged pastry stouts and NEIPA.   I get a lot of access to their stuff when I am over in Germany (and they are actually building their only other taproom in Hamburg  which will be  a 5min ubahn trip from my hotel). 

Lol true. Well I just love that brewery 

Weird, I'm not seeing anything of the sort on their facebook page.  I tried following Phil's link and nothing.  Oh wait, it is indeed announced on Twitter.

Meanwhile Another brewery announcement coming too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Meanwhile Another brewery announcement coming too lol.

I have to think that the newest breweries are coming in with better business plans than they were five years ago.  You aren't likely going to explode onto the scene and have your beer in Harris Teeter and every local restaurant in 6 months anymore.  The breweries being built now are more for the taproom experience as opposed to production volume.  Get people in the door and enjoying a fresh variety of good small batch beer in a great welcoming location instead of trying to produce another so-so generic IPA in hope of getting local distribution.  

Next closing prediction (other than Thirsty Nomad) will be Bold Missy.  I haven't heard a single person who has been there that has ever gone back.  I had one of their beers at Vintners and was unimpressed.   Saw cans sitting there (at Vintners) and not a one looked it had been bought.  The canning seems like a quick attempt at money grab.  There isn't a demand for it...why are you canning it?  Likely because they can't sell it fast enough in the tap room.   Divine Barrel across the street is killing it so it isn't location. 

As a side note: when is someone going to open a brewery in Ballantyne?  When I went to Heist Northend this weekend, almost the entire crowd looked like they had come from South Charlotte.  Baby strollers, Mercedes, SUV's, full bread dogs, and mid-thirty's to early 40's.  At some point someone is going to open at least a tap room in Ballantyne right?!?!

As another side note:  Based on my unscientific research, Legion Southpark is printing money.  Busy for lunch.  Porch slammed when the weather is nice.  Always a good crowd after work.   Most times on a nice weekend, it's on a wait to get a seat.   I am sure the rent is high but they certainly appear to be doing well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

As a side note: when is someone going to open a brewery in Ballantyne?  When I went to Heist Northend this weekend, almost the entire crowd looked like they had come from South Charlotte.  Baby strollers, Mercedes, SUV's, full bread dogs, and mid-thirty's to early 40's.  At some point someone is going to open at least a tap room in Ballantyne right?!?!

I'm certain that as soon as it makes economic sense, someone will do it.  Hard to believe we're not there yet.  I've said it before but that "The Liberty" space at Blakeney is prime for a taproom.  Or even the Dean & Deluca space at Stonecrest.

I assume zoning for an actual brewery (not taproom) is a barrier?  I haven't kept up on the zoning classification for brewing.

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

I assume zoning for an actual brewery (not taproom) is a barrier?  I haven't kept up on the zoning classification for brewing.

I don't believe zoning for breweries has changed since 2014 -- they gotta be at least 100 ft from residential areas and in commercial / industrial zoned space. I woudn't imagine this would prevent a Btyne site.

The UDO should relax this restriction further, but no telling when that will actually happen.

50 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Sounds exciting and like it would be a good fit in NODA, but. . . 

Plans call for that location to be called D9 Brewing — the Fermenteria. It’s a nod to the different fermentation techniques used in beer and food. Expect D9’s sour and wild-fermented ales to be paired with small-plate and bakery options, such as burgers topped with kimchi or fresh-baked breads.

“This is a concept I’ve not seen done anywhere else,” Durstewitz says.

Except its a carbon copy of Wicked Weed's Funkatorium from the description and even the name lol

9 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Sounds exciting and like it would be a good fit in NODA, but. . . 

Except its a carbon copy of Wicked Weed's Funkatorium from the description and even the name lol

that sounds fudgeing awesome tho.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

that sounds fudgeing awesome tho.

No argument there.   I've really enjoyed the Funkatorium in Asheville the few times I've gotten to go.  I just thought it was funny because these guys 100% have to realize that the concept and name are like, eerily similar.

• Like 1

Just now, CTiger said:

No argument there.   I've really enjoyed the Funkatorium in Asheville the few times I've gotten to go.  I just thought it was funny because these guys 100% have to realize that the concept and name are like, eerily similar.

and that inBev like suing people. 

Map updated for Yet Another D9 Brewery: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

By the way, I don't have Daniel's book on the brewery history of Charlotte, but my list has these closings:

1998 Dilworth Brewing (East and Kenilworth)

2000 Johnson Beer Company (Central Ave)

2003ish Hops (South Blvd near 485)

2007 SouthEnd Brewing (South Blvd Atherton)

2013 Hops (Independence near 51)

2014 Four Friends (near Carowinds)

2018 Barking Duck (Matthews)

2018 Bayne (Cornelius)

2019 Rock Bottom (uptown)

2019 Three Spirits (Old Pineville Rd)

Map updated for Yet Another D9 Brewery: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8
By the way, I don't have Daniel's book on the brewery history of Charlotte, but my list has these closings:
1998 Dilworth Brewing (East and Kenilworth)
2000 Johnson Beer Company (Central Ave)
2003ish Hops (South Blvd near 485)
2007 SouthEnd Brewing (South Blvd Atherton)
2013 Hops (Independence near 51)
2014 Four Friends (near Carowinds)
2018 Barking Duck (Matthews)
2018 Bayne (Cornelius)
2019 Rock Bottom (uptown)
2019 Three Spirits (Old Pineville Rd)

There was a hops, I believe, at park rd shopping center briefly were ABC store is today.

14 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There was a hops, I believe, at park rd shopping center briefly were ABC store is today.

Yep.  They opened 3 all within a few years of each other.  My Ex worked at the three in CLT and the two in Columbia while in school.   They grew WAY too fast!  Now they have one...in the whole country.   It was a shame too as the food was pretty good (could be skewed by my dozens of free meals over the years). 

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Yep.  They opened 3 all within a few years of each other.  My Ex worked at the three in CLT and the two in Columbia while in school.   They grew WAY too fast!  Now they have one...in the whole country.   It was a shame too as the food was pretty good (could be skewed by my dozens of free meals over the years). 

Your ex worked at FIVE different Hops. haha. wow.

43 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Your ex worked at FIVE different Hops. haha. wow.

Yep. The two in Columbia were run by the same group and would share bartenders when needed.  Same deal in Charlotte when she moved here.  Would have your  “main” location and fill in at the others.  Basically a shared resource pool (at least for bartenders). 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Yep. The two in Columbia were run by the same group and would share bartenders when needed.  Same deal in Charlotte when she moved here.  Would have your  “main” location and fill in at the others.  Basically a shared resource pool (at least for bartenders). 

It troubles me that 15 years ago I was probably sitting next to you being served by your (now) Ex, and we didn't even know it....and don't have any way to know it.  Like when a married couple discovers (20 years later) two separate family pictures from when they were children both visiting Disney World at the same time.  Freaky.

Of course, I could be sitting next to you at Legion next week and we still wouldn't know it, ha ha ha!

Edited by grodney

28 minutes ago, grodney said:

It troubles me that 15 years ago I was probably sitting next to you being served by your (now) Ex, and we didn't even know it....and don't have any way to know it.  Like when a married couple discovers (20 years later) two separate family pictures from when they were children both visiting Disney World at the same time.  Freaky.

Of course, I could be sitting next to you at Legion next week and we still wouldn't know it, ha ha ha!

Ha ha.  Yep I spent a  good bit of time at the bar at the 485 one (and the Two Notch location in Columbia).   Free Hammerhead Reds and half price food :-)  

On 4/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, jjwilli said:

Does Jennifer have those cost numbers right?  Or backward?  $3 million for an old site in a less-desirable location vs $500K on an outdoor new build and huge space in the hottest location available?  I don't know crap about business and money, it just seems backward.  Maybe they're buying the N Davidson location and just leasing the Stonewall?  But still.

Edited by grodney