Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

45 minutes ago, grodney said:

Does Jennifer have those cost numbers right?  Or backward?  $3 million for an old site in a less-desirable location vs $500K on an outdoor new build and huge space in the hottest location available?  I don't know crap about business and money, it just seems backward.  Maybe they're buying the N Davidson location and just leasing the Stonewall?  But still.

I dunno but the N. Davidson location looks like it will need a LOT of work.  They must have a better vision than I do.  Building looks like a cheaply built dump.  Maybe there is something worthwhile restoring behind the nasty corrugated metal panels.  

But where are people going to park?  The lot across 13th street is/was for sale (via google streets) but I bet that is a lot of money for a parking lot.  I can't imagine dumping 3million into new place and having parking for < 20 cars.   The lot directly across street from N Davidson is owned by the same people but at its current configuration, it can fit 8 cars.  

Would like to see them and birdsong start an LLC and buy that empty lot between them and make a shared parking lot. Birdsong is always tight on parking, especially if there is any kind of event going on.  Adding D9 with little parking, people will take spots and Birdsong and hurt their situation even more. 

Also:  Did one of the owners wives recently win that powerball in SC?!  Seems like a money for a small brewery located in an office park in Lake Norman! 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, InSouthPark said:

Not sure if everyone has been to Heist in North End...but damn what a different experience from the NoDa brewpub!  

Beautiful taproom, huge grassy shaded area with tables, super laid back.  It’s still not fully built out outside, but this new location now sits top 3 locales for me.  I hated the brewpub because of the lack of “brewery feel”.  The new spot totally nails it.   Always have loved the beers.  Once word gets out fully, this will be a massively popular spot (it was quite busy this afternoon).  

Went to Heist Barrel Arts during the rain at about Noon Saturday.....nobody there, but I echo the review above.  Great place.  I hope the grassy area under the giant tree survives the foot traffic.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:20 AM, grodney said:

Does Jennifer have those cost numbers right?  Or backward?  $3 million for an old site in a less-desirable location vs $500K on an outdoor new build and huge space in the hottest location available?  I don't know crap about business and money, it just seems backward.  Maybe they're buying the N Davidson location and just leasing the Stonewall?  But still.

I don't understand the play behind most of these expensive buildouts for bar/restaurants. How does this actually make most of these places money? 

On 4/12/2019 at 7:20 AM, grodney said:

Does Jennifer have those cost numbers right?  Or backward?  $3 million for an old site in a less-desirable location vs $500K on an outdoor new build and huge space in the hottest location available?  I don't know crap about business and money, it just seems backward.  Maybe they're buying the N Davidson location and just leasing the Stonewall?  But still.

They are selling the ownership of the Peculiar Rabbit lease, business and possibly name, not the building. Thats the difference. 

14 minutes ago, wilmore said:

I don't understand the play behind most of these expensive buildouts for bar/restaurants. How does this actually make most of these places money? 

Commercial Kitchens are F'n expensive.

Edited by Guest

Didn't The Mill on Woodlawn near I-77 where IHOP is now used to have a brewery in addition to their bakery? Would have closed in the late '90s as well.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:37 AM, grodney said:

Map updated for Yet Another D9 Brewery: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

By the way, I don't have Daniel's book on the brewery history of Charlotte, but my list has these closings:

1998 Dilworth Brewing (East and Kenilworth)

2000 Johnson Beer Company (Central Ave)

2003ish Hops (South Blvd near 485)

2007 SouthEnd Brewing (South Blvd Atherton)

2013 Hops (Independence near 51)

2014 Four Friends (near Carowinds)

2018 Barking Duck (Matthews)

2018 Bayne (Cornelius)

2019 Rock Bottom (uptown)

2019 Three Spirits (Old Pineville Rd)

Edited by CLT>

My brother in law will be visiting next week and he is a beer lover and former home brewer. I want him to experience some of CLT brew life. I have been to Sycamore, NoDa, Wooden Robot and bought Birdsong and Old Mecklenburg retail. Which location would be a good fit for two experienced beer drinkers? Food is a minor part of the experience. Babies, dogs, lawn darts, cornhole and the related are of little interest for us to enjoy an experience.

8 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

My brother in law will be visiting next week and he is a beer lover and former home brewer. I want him to experience some of CLT brew life. I have been to Sycamore, NoDa, Wooden Robot and bought Birdsong and Old Mecklenburg retail. Which location would be a good fit for two experienced beer drinkers? Food is a minor part of the experience. Babies, dogs, lawn darts, cornhole and the related are of little interest for us to enjoy an experience.

I'd check out Heist Barrel Arts, Unknown, and Resident Culture, those, in my opinion, are doing some of the better stuff of late. Heist and RC usually have a food truck, and Unknown's Pizza is pretty damn good.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, CLT> said:

I'd check out Heist Barrel Arts, Unknown, and Resident Culture, those, in my opinion, are doing some of the better stuff of late. Heist and RC usually have a food truck, and Unknown's Pizza is pretty damn good.

Blue Blaze also has a stellar selection.  Their Milk Stout is one of the best I've tasted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

How old are you? Add about 45 years to that age and that’s how old you’ll be by the time this is done. 

Haha, not good!!

Anyway, I was able to alta vista the answer for myself: https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/25thStreetConnection.aspx

(Update: The project manager says (via e-mail) they hope to go to construction Sept 2019.)

"

10/12/2018

This project is now in the utility relocation phase. During this phase, utility infrastructure such as underground gas, water and sewer lines, as well as overhead power, telephone and television lines, are moved as needed to make way for construction of the project improvements. By the end of this year, the City will invite contractors to submit bids to construct the project. Construction is expected to start by mid-2019 and will be complete in early to mid-2020.

"

Edited by grodney
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Uh oh.  Untappd's inaugural beer festival being dubbed the Fyre Fest of beer festivals.  I didnt go but was texting my friends who were telling me it was an absolute cluster.  Did anyone on here go?

Based on what I've seen on Instagram, the weather has not helped. Lightning sent everyone into the concourse and all the beer is on the field 

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Based on what I've seen on Instagram, the weather has not helped. Lightning sent everyone into the concourse and all the beer is on the field 

Yeah I  imagine that only made things worse.  I went to beer festival in the baseball stadium in Greenville SC a few years ago and they had all the breweries set up in the concourses and the field was reserved for live entertainment.  It was more or less weatherproof and was an awesome time.  They should have done the same at this one.  

Either way, there are plenty of non-weather related complaints as well.  Look at their Twitter replies right now.  Yikes.

20 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Are any beer festivals actually good?  Been to some around town that were meh.  Rather just go hop a few breweries....

I've been to good beer festivals, but I don't think I've ever been to a good one in Charlotte.  They are a lot of fun when they are well organized, the hosts limit the number of attendees, and *most importantly* there is good beer to drink.  The thing about all the beer festivals I've been to in Charlotte are they are oversold, lack organization and contingencies (outdoors), and the participating breweries are almost always local.  Thanks, but I don't really want to pay a high ticket cost to drink 4 ounces of Sycamore or NODA beer that I can get literally anywhere.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CTiger said:

I've been to good beer festivals, but I don't think I've ever been to a good one in Charlotte.  They are a lot of fun when they are well organized, the hosts limit the number of attendees, and *most importantly* there is good beer to drink.  The thing about all the beer festivals I've been to in Charlotte are they are oversold, lack organization and contingencies (outdoors), and the participating breweries are almost always local.  Thanks, but I don't really want to pay a high ticket cost to drink 4 ounces of Sycamore or NODA beer that I can get literally anywhere.

There are plenty of good beer festivals around but they aren't advertised on Charlotte Agenda (or anywhere really as they sell out on their own).   But we don't have anything that is "Best in Class" like Hunaphu Day in Tampa or the old Brewvival in Charleston.