Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 6/28/2019 at 8:29 AM, InSouthPark said:

Yeaaaaaah...if you are really having problems keeping up with demand, you can certainly afford to get a loan to buy more tanks.   Every other brewery in CLT had no problem buying new tanks as demand increased.  Heck most "young" places are buying their tanks from other Charlotte breweries as they scale up.   

I don't buy it and would give them another year or two.   Either their owner just doesn't have the money needed to stay in the game long enough or there is just no demand for it.  In my usual spots, I have only seen it on tap once (heck I saw Three Spirits on tap way more than that). 

With North Davidson closing at Craighead, they won't even be getting business from the usual NoDa crowds either. I'm sure Divine Barrel will take a hit as well but they've always been pretty full whenever I've been there. 

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

FWIW - Had beers with my friend this weekend and he said he met the owners of Lower Left last weekend and they said the opening would be in the next “couple” weeks.  A Facebook snoop and it looks like the taproom is done.  Might be waiting for final permits at this point. 

They have their ABC permits

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grodney said:

Any reports from Wooden Robot on 36th?

The location is great, rooftop is a nice addition. The staff leaves a lot to be desired. Twice with me and anecdotally with two other friends, when you go to close your tab (well before closing time) they tell you "oh we already closed all the tabs that were open, you don't have anything to worry about" except the automatic 20% gratuity they add... Not a way to treat customers.

Also, they have a limited number of taps at the rooftop bar, which seems like poor planning, or something that may improve in the future.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, CLT> said:

The location is great, rooftop is a nice addition. The staff leaves a lot to be desired. Twice with me and anecdotally with two other friends, when you go to close your tab (well before closing time) they tell you "oh we already closed all the tabs that were open, you don't have anything to worry about" except the automatic 20% gratuity they add... Not a way to treat customers.

Also, they have a limited number of taps at the rooftop bar, which seems like poor planning, or something that may improve in the future.

It was their soft opening so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I've had a few beers double rang into their system. If I remember correctly, I wasn't given an itemized receipt either but luckily the total seemed a bit high and I asked about it. Not great hearing about other pricing issues because I love the location and space so much. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Sauceman's BBQ moving from their West Blvd location into Sugar Creek Brewing's event space.  The "article" mentions expanded brewery hours, specifically open for lunch to match the restaurant.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/172052/saucemans-bbq-is-moving-to-sugar-creek-brewing-in-loso-expect-new-menu-items-and-more-seating/

Sounds like a win-win for both. That part of town could use some good 'que and the foot traffic (at least on weekends and evenings) should help a lot. I like their food but I never think about it because when I am in Southend, I don't stray too far from the rail trail.  Certainly could help Sugar Creek drum up some business as well.  I would grab a beer there if I was getting my bbq, and that isn't someplace I typically go.

Sauceman's BBQ moving from their West Blvd location into Sugar Creek Brewing's event space.  The "article" mentions expanded brewery hours, specifically open for lunch to match the restaurant.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/172052/saucemans-bbq-is-moving-to-sugar-creek-brewing-in-loso-expect-new-menu-items-and-more-seating/

Yea, this was brilliant. Sugar Creek has been invisible to me since they opened and I just never thought to go to Saucemans despite living just blocks away. I am now much more likely to visit both.

#MoreBeerandFood

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, InSouthPark said:

Just an FYI:  Gilde isn't available and any of the big grocery stores in Hamburg (about 2 hours north of Hannover).  Didn't see it in the specialty craft beer store I went in either.   I didn't have time to check labels for contract brews at Aldi.

The group has a few other brands and sites:

https://www.tcb-beverages.com/en/our-campany/production-sites

https://www.tcb-beverages.com/en/tcb-brands-2/brands

On 7/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, grodney said:

And now they're saying "Early August". Amazing.

In the continuing saga of Pineville's Middle James Brewing, on July 4 they posted "B I G announcement coming early next week!".  On July 12....8 days later.....they posted "Welp our week didn't go how we expected!  With some construction delays we were not able to share our big announcement!  We don't want to jinx ourselves so our announcement right now is thank you for your patience and support."

In other news, Lower Left is brewing.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

In the continuing saga of Pineville's Middle James Brewing, on July 4 they posted "B I G announcement coming early next week!".  On July 12....8 days later.....they posted "Welp our week didn't go how we expected!  With some construction delays we were not able to share our big announcement!  We don't want to jinx ourselves so our announcement right now is thank you for your patience and support."

In other news, Lower Left is brewing.

Oh, Middle James definitely holds the local record for longest delays and most painful delivery of opening announcements. Remember back in December when they claimed a few short weeks until their opening? 

https://www.charlottefive.com/middle-james-brewing/

Edited by NeverSummer

11 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Legion’s fourth location, taking the trolley barn at atherton  

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/172712/trolley-barn-fermentory-by-legion-brewing/

Any word yet on if the Freemorewest location will have a canning operation?  Their organic growth is staggering to me considering they don't have any packages in the stores to boost profits.   I just hope this isn't a Wicked Weed type investment to build out a brand and sell at a big profit. 

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Any word yet on if the Freemorewest location will have a canning operation?  Their organic growth is staggering to me considering they don't have any packages in the stores to boost profits.   I just hope this isn't a Wicked Weed type investment to build out a brand and sell at a big profit. 

Most breweries break even or make a tiny amount of profit from their canned/distributed beer, its way way more profitable to have a taproom. If they want to boost profits the last thing they should do is distribute beer. Better to think of legion as a restaurant/bar group than a brewery in the traditional sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

Most breweries break even or make a tiny amount of profit from their canned/distributed beer, its way way more profitable to have a taproom. If they want to boost profits the last thing they should do is distribute beer. Better to think of legion as a restaurant/bar group than a brewery in the traditional sense.

I understand a taproom is more profitable than selling a 4 pack in the store...however I find it hard that Legion with one small tap room in PM financed the SP location, which in turn financed two more new locations in that short a time.   Restaurants have thin margins as it is.   Where is all the cash coming from to build out all these spaces?  There is a huge amount of fixed costs with 4 large locations.  With the  self-distribution method, profits are much higher as they cut out the 20% the distributors are taking.  They already have the infrastructure to self-distribute  as they are already doing so with restaurants.  

It just smells (to me) like a big money investor financing all these new locations (as opposed to fully organic growth) but I hope I am  wrong or that the investors aren't looking for the big payday like the Guthy's were.   Fingers crossed as I really like Legion. 

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I understand a taproom is more profitable than selling a 4 pack in the store...however I find it hard that Legion with one small tap room in PM financed the SP location, which in turn financed two more new locations in that short a time.   Restaurants have thin margins as it is.   Where is all the cash coming from to build out all these spaces?  There is a huge amount of fixed costs with 4 large locations.  With the  self-distribution method, profits are much higher as they cut out the 20% the distributors are taking.  They already have the infrastructure to self-distribute  as they are already doing so with restaurants.  

It just smells (to me) like a big money investor financing all these new locations (as opposed to fully organic growth) but I hope I am  wrong or that the investors aren't looking for the big payday like the Guthy's were.   Fingers crossed as I really like Legion. 

Investors looking for a big payday with something like this would be ill-advised, the market for big craft acquisitions is no longer what it was. 

• Like 1

Per Zuck, Lower Left is opening Aug 6th with Grand opening party Sep 7,8.  Only 5 beers at open.  No idea on quantity, but I honestly fear they will run out of beer.....especially if the agenders get a sniff.

"

BIG NEWS! 
We are thrilled to announce a soft-open date of 8/6 with regular hours and full access! We will have five beers ready for you with more being released as they're ready! 

We're planning our Grand Opening Celebration featuring food trucks and live music on 9/7 and 9/8. This is a weekend long party not to be missed! Official events pages to follow.

OPENING TAP LIST
-Participation Award, American Blonde Ale
-Walter, Belgian White Ale
-Strawberry Shortcake Kettle Sour w Strawberries, Vanilla, 
  Lactose and Nilla Wafers
-Juicy McJuiceFace, New England IPA 
-Laser Shark, West Coast IPA

We are so excited to share our space and our delicious beers with you. We've worked so hard for so long to make this dream a reality and it's FINALLY HERE!

"

• Like 1