Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

34 minutes ago, kermit said:

Is it? I have never had a problem buying a round for everybody in a bar in NC (even when the group is not visible or evident). The ballpark on the other hand....

Yeah legally anyways.  Some places are strict with it, most not.  I've had some places not give me two beers unless I could show another ID.  Stupid law considering you can turn around a minute later and get another. 

The summary says the language was clarified to allow 2 drinks.....so maybe there was some ambiguity.  Some places I have been able to buy 2 no problem (including BB&T).  Other places were very strict about only 1 (Whitewater Center, for instance).  What's not clear, as I haven't read the actual new law, is whether they MUST sell me 2 if I want.....or if it's their option.  I imagine it's their option.

As for the private label, although All Knight Long has "Knight" and similar trade dress, I don't believe the cans say Charlotte Knights anywhere.  I assume this opens up team beers.  And also something like "Harris Teeter Lager".  Or a restaurant calling a beer their own.....La Belle Helene has a beer called La Belle Helene but shows it's brewed by Sycamore.....I think they could just call it their own now.

I love the farmers market rule.  And the food hall common area rule.

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I think they already do that, which is confusing. Birdsong sells "All Knight Long" at BB&T ballpark, for example. 

They also sell All Knight Long at their brewery, not just exclusively at the ballpark. I think this opens it up for them to only sell a beer at the retailer location only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grodney said:

Beer private labels - Breweries can create private label brands for retailers, which can be labeled with the retailer's name and sold exclusively to the retailer.

Breweries have been able to do this up until now, BUT it required them to create a new entity to produce said beer on contract for the retailer, which required multiple sets of permits to do so, now they can do it under the main brewery 'flag' as it were.

i.e. Unknown making Lidl's private label IPA, but having to create Stryker Brewing to do so, instead of just Unknown doing so.

2 hours ago, CLT> said:

Breweries have been able to do this up until now, BUT it required them to create a new entity to produce said beer on contract for the retailer, which required multiple sets of permits to do so, now they can do it under the main brewery 'flag' as it were.

i.e. Unknown making Lidl's private label IPA, but having to create Stryker Brewing to do so, instead of just Unknown doing so.

Is Unknown really doing that or was it just an example?

just picked up my Radio Haze cans!

Edited by kermit

In another time, long ago, there was a Charlotte O's baseball team (yes baseball) at the Magnolia Avenue park and a beer supplier supported a 5¢ beer night. This gives you an idea of the time when this happened. Only one sale  at a time per customer. However that customer could stand at the counter and order single beers one after another from the concession worker. I saw a fan with foresight who brought an empty gallon milk jug and as the worker pulled the tap for the next beer the "fan" poured the previous one into his jug. There were two "fans" who had come so prepared to the game. I ,sadly, was in line behind them.

• Haha 1

I was in a restaurant some years ago and saw an ABC sting go down. Man with young woman walk into establishment and take seat at bar. Woman repairs to ladies room leaving purse at bar. Bartender comes to man and takes order for two beers. Bartender supplies beer to man and to purse. Woman (underage) returns, sits and bartender is busted. 

1: Know thy customer

2: Serve no empty stool

(Even if these rules above no longer apply they are good rules IMO)

I went to Middle James (in Pineville) at 11am Saturday.....their 2nd day open.  The 3 beers I had were good.  The place is nice, and is fairly large.  For food they have a walk-up window to place your order, then take a number back to your seat and they bring the food out.  Patio overlooking the driving range, which was perfect with weather like Saturday.  They said they were totally slammed all day Friday, and by the time we left Saturday they were extremely busy again.

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

I went to Middle James (in Pineville) at 11am Saturday.....their 2nd day open.  The 3 beers I had were good.  The place is nice, and is fairly large.  For food they have a walk-up window to place your order, then take a number back to your seat and they bring the food out.  Patio overlooking the driving range, which was perfect with weather like Saturday.  They said they were totally slammed all day Friday, and by the time we left Saturday they were extremely busy again.

Did you order food?  More than a few complaints about the time to get food (like an hour or more at times Friday).   That said, the overwhelming majority of folks in the popular Charlotte craft beer FB group had positive things to say about the beer (and they can be pretty tough).   I look forward to trying it out this week but since they only had a very small soft opening before the grand opening, I wanted to stay away for a few days until they get the kinks out. 

Its an awkward location with no neighborhood around, but hoping it does well as it will be the second closest brewery to my house. 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Did you order food?  More than a few complaints about the time to get food (like an hour or more at times Friday).   That said, the overwhelming majority of folks in the popular Charlotte craft beer FB group had positive things to say about the beer (and they can be pretty tough).   I look forward to trying it out this week but since they only had a very small soft opening before the grand opening, I wanted to stay away for a few days until they get the kinks out. 

Its an awkward location with no neighborhood around, but hoping it does well as it will be the second closest brewery to my house. 

I didn't order food, but people in my group did.  It was very early Saturday, so not slammed yet.  I thought it took too long to come out, but the people who ordered it weren't bothered.  They weren't impressed with the quality, though, especially for the price.  

Their hours currently say open every day at 11am, which is amazing.

11 hours ago, grodney said:

I only pay attention to CharMeck breweries, so I didn't know about this one "Coming Soon" to South Cack until last weekend.  This will be the closest brewery to my house, so I'm  hoping for good things.  Lore Brewing in Indian Land: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/176404/lore-brewing-in-indian-land-near-charlotte/

This is very close to my friend's house in Ft.Mill and she is stoked for this place to finally open!!

On 8/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, grodney said:

I didn't order food, but people in my group did.  It was very early Saturday, so not slammed yet.  I thought it took too long to come out, but the people who ordered it weren't bothered.  They weren't impressed with the quality, though, especially for the price.  

Their hours currently say open every day at 11am, which is amazing.

I stopped by last night with some friends and enjoyed it.   I got a NEIPA, which wasn't that great, but the other 4 I got in a flight were all solid, including their west coast IPA. Thought the imperial porter and lager were really good.  I didn't order food but my friends did.  No problem on the timing but it came with cheese after they said no cheese.  Replacement came out and was barely warm.  Said it was good but overpriced for the area.

While the location on South Blvd is on a pretty ugly stretch of road, the back of the place (where the brewery faces) is like you are sitting at a nice country club.  The driving range and par 3 course as a backdrop is really nice (and behind that is all trees).   It won't be a "destination" brewery for me, but I spend enough time in the area at Target/REI/Sam's that I will certainly drop in for a pint on the way home.   Had a pretty decent crowd for a Wednesday evening.  I think the "sports brewery" thing will be a hit on weekends.  The friends I was there with live in Pineville and said options to drink good beer, eat food, and watch football under one roof in that area are almost nil.  They were excited to go back even with the food snafu. 

• Like 2

One of the great things about 20 somethings is their capacity for self-parody:

Overheard at lunch today: "we went to a couple of dive bars uptown, one was called Prohibition I think."

Unfortunately I am now old enough to need to wonder if the world's definition of "dive bar" is completely different than it was back in my day.  (IMO the Beaver is one of the last remaining specimens of the species in town)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

One of the great things about 20 somethings is their capacity for self-parody:

Overheard at lunch today: "we went to a couple of dive bars uptown, one was called Prohibition I think."

Unfortunately I am now old enough to need to wonder if the world's definition of "dive bar" is completely different than it was back in my day.  (IMO the Beaver is one of the last remaining specimens of the species in town)

Correct. Prohibition is a college bar trash pit. Not a dive bar. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Beaver and Smokey Joes are the two that always come to mind when somebody says they want to go to a dive bar.

I was going to include Smokey Joes but (arbitrarily) I think a dive must have less than 1 Craft beer on tap.

But it’s  still  a fine place to drink the afternoon away (they open at 3 -- God bless em)

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this belongs in the "Drinking Charlotte Beer in Brooklyn" thread but...

I picked up a 4 pack of NoDa Beers at the Airport on Sunday (yes I spent $40 on it, yes I need to get my head checked) and they were flat by the time I opened them last night. Big time sad face.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I guess this belongs in the "Drinking Charlotte Beer in Brooklyn" thread but...

I picked up a 4 pack of NoDa Beers at the Airport on Sunday (yes I spent $40 on it, yes I need to get my head checked) and they were flat by the time I opened them last night. Big time sad face.

Imma need you clarify that. Are you saying that a NoDa 4-pk, which is usually 12-15 bucks, costs $40 at the airport?

13 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Imma need you clarify that. Are you saying that a NoDa 4-pk, which is usually 12-15 bucks, costs $40 at the airport?

yep, $9.99 per beer. I deeply regret paying for it too, but I wanted to have Charlotte beers to drink during the Panthers game tonight.

Edited by Guest