Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

The better (not good) news to this is for a devoted alcoholic the loss of carbonation would not be an issue as long as the alcoholic content was retained. So you pass that test.

37 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I guess this belongs in the "Drinking Charlotte Beer in Brooklyn" thread but...

I picked up a 4 pack of NoDa Beers at the Airport on Sunday (yes I spent $40 on it, yes I need to get my head checked) and they were flat by the time I opened them last night. Big time sad face.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I guess this belongs in the "Drinking Charlotte Beer in Brooklyn" thread but...

I picked up a 4 pack of NoDa Beers at the Airport on Sunday (yes I spent $40 on it, yes I need to get my head checked) and they were flat by the time I opened them last night. Big time sad face.

Weird.  I wonder why.  I guess you should tell them.  Or something.

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I did. they are mailing me 4 new beers.

They are good like that. I bought some HDR once that was disgusting. Tasted like hop water.  I tried two different cans. Susie asked me to bring any unopened cans to the taproom so they could investigate, they would replace them with whatever I wanted, and a free beer in the taproom for my time. 

Summer Solstice (Graham and Palmer in the Gold District) is making progress and might be said to be ‘close’ to opening. I took this photo about 8pm and a couple of non-contractor looking people were still working on interior finish stuff. These vats are on the lower level, I believe most of the taproom space is upstairs.

A quick Facebook and google maps search shows that they are now called Sunstead brewing (facebook was updated last week)

3B73CD1D-8DD1-4627-B840-9823F4FBD7A4.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

If any writers for the Agenda or Five are here, how about publishing an update on these supposed-to-open-in-2019 breweries......now that we have only 3 months left in the year:

• Petty Thieves - Just north of uptown.  
  • Sunstead - Gold district.  Formerly "Southern Solstice".  (Thanks kermit for the updates.)
  • D9 Uptown Pavilion
  • Traust - West side.  
  • Axiom - Elizabeth.
  • Edge City - Monroe Rd.
  • Fonta Flora - Optimist Hall.
  • Free Range - Camp North End.
  • Suffolk Punch at Noble Smoke.
  • Gilde "The Embassy"  - location unknown.

Or hell, I'd take any updates here.....no need to publish, hahaha.

57 minutes ago, grodney said:

If any writers for the Agenda or Five are here, how about publishing an update on these supposed-to-open-in-2019 breweries......now that we have only 3 months left in the year:

• Sunstead - Gold district.  Formerly "Southern Solstice".  (Thanks kermit for the updates.)
  • D9 Uptown Pavilion
  • Traust - West side.  
  • Axiom - Elizabeth.
  • Edge City - Monroe Rd.

Traust - Work has begun on the warehouse it is going to be in. I will get some pictures at some point in the next day or so. Were they really supposed to be open in 2019? 

Suffolk Punch - The signs are up at Noble Smoke advertising Suffolk Punch so I would assume they are open? Haven't had the chance to stop by there yet so can't tell you 100%

Thats all I got lol

1 hour ago, grodney said:

• D9 Uptown Pavilion
  • Traust - West side.  
  • Axiom - Elizabeth.
  • Edge City - Monroe Rd.

Petty Thieves are ultra weirdos but creative, don’t hold your breath on this opening any time soon 

Sunstead is trucking along and will open before the end of the year 

D9, Traust, Axiom and Fonta are all under very active construction, next year for all 4. 

suffolk at noble is half operating

26 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Petty Thieves are ultra weirdos but creative, don’t hold your breath on this opening any time soon 

Sunstead is trucking along and will open before the end of the year 

D9, Traust, Axiom and Fonta are all under very active construction, next year for all 4. 

suffolk at noble is half operating

Thanks Jayvee and a2theb!  "ultra weirdos but creative" is hilarious.

Yeah a2theb, the Apr 8 word on Traust was "open this fall" but we all know how that goes.

Edited by grodney

QC Pourhouse in Southend opened per CharlotteAgenda:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/141708/queen-city-pour-house-south-end-restaurant-and-bar/

First thing I noticed was the craft beer pricing and pretty small selection.  This is becoming extremely frustrating.  A cozy neighborhood sports bar should not be charging this much for local drafts and local cans.  It feels like this is getting out of control all over the city.

qc-pour-house-10.jpg

Edited by CTiger
Added criticism
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, CTiger said:

QC Pourhouse in Southend opened per CharlotteAgenda:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/141708/queen-city-pour-house-south-end-restaurant-and-bar/

First thing I noticed was the craft beer pricing and pretty small selection.  This is becoming extremely frustrating.  A cozy neighborhood sports bar should not be charging this much for local drafts and local cans.  It feels like this is getting out of control all over the city.

qc-pour-house-10.jpg

It’s generally the cause and effect of high rents mixed with people with small business loans opening their first place. I don’t have an issue with the selection as everything they do have is pretty great and runs the spectrum, it’s focused, but yeah. Pricing is high, 15-20% too high

Edited by Jayvee

3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

It’s generally the cause and effect of high rents mixed with people with small business loans opening their first place. 

Yeah I get that, but I have to wonder who is going to pay $6.75 for an OMB Mecktoberfest or Birdsong Pilsner or god forbid a Fat Tire.   Maybe residents of the Ashton will, but I don't think I could do it.

I am curious as to how much margin is in that pricing.  If they dropped their pricing by a dollar/pint and sold twice as much beer would they make more money?  

I’ll add to the pile. I like to drink, and this would be in walking distance for me but the combination of a very bland tap list combined with pints over $6 means that I have no reason to go inside. 

That said, my decision will make no difference. The constant stream of thirsty millennials into Southend  will guarantee their success. As 'they' say: location, location, location.

But for me., CM is less than a block away, while they have even worse prices at least they _always_ have interesting things on tap.

Edit: I am back at Craft for the first time in a  while. Prices are roughly 10-15% less than pourhouse, but more importantly, their draft list is very good. There are about 6 things on the list that I really want to drink.

Edited by kermit

34 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Regarding the cocktail list above (and also nearly all new joints), do the millennials know about classics? Manhattan, Gibson, Rob Roy, French 75 and so on? And how and when to drink them?

yes and yes, but just cause its a classic, does not mean its essential (or good for that matter). not defending QCPHs cocktails, just the "do the millennials know" mentality is tired, boring, inaccurate and just dumb. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Regarding the cocktail list above (and also nearly all new joints), do the millennials know about classics? Manhattan, Gibson, Rob Roy, French 75 and so on? And how and when to drink them?

From a small sample size of millenials I know with me included, no. Maybe it got lost in translation from previous generations to the millennials I know. Or maybe I'm too blue collared, who knows (a beer usually does it for me and my wallet). I'll be honest, I've heard of most of those drinks, but may have had only 1 or 2. 

4 hours ago, Jayvee said:

yes and yes, but just cause its a classic, does not mean its essential (or good for that matter). not defending QCPHs cocktails, just the "do the millennials know" mentality is tired, boring, inaccurate and just dumb. 

1511821848_giphy(8).gif.778dc16f147e468bc8ca558878512e86.gif

• Like 4

On 9/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, tarhoosier said:

There are not a lot of bartenders at less than higher-end places that seem to know how to make any of these well.

• Like 1