Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I forget about Suffolk Punch, since they don't seem to distribute.....but they have about 6 different cans available right now.   I hopped off the light rail Friday to grab a 4-pack of their Hazy (Hyde in the Haze).  12 bucks and it's tasty.

Then stopped at Middle James on my way home.  Sound dampers were in and the beer was good.

Those QC Pour House prices are unreal.  I think we need a good ol' fashioned recession.

On 9/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, tarhoosier said:

Regarding the cocktail list above (and also nearly all new joints), do the millennials know about classics? Manhattan, Gibson, Rob Roy, French 75 and so on? And how and when to drink them?

It's not even that, as I wouldn't really want to drink a Manhattan on a 95-degree day, it's just that those specific drinks are all terrible. Look at the ingredients they're using, 5 out of the 8 have straight up juice or Sprite in them!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, kermit said:

I’ll add to the pile. I like to drink, and this would be in walking distance for me but the combination of a very bland tap list combined with pints over $6 means that I have no reason to go inside. 

That said, my decision will make no difference. The constant stream of thirsty millennials into Southend  will guarantee their success. As 'they' say: location, location, location.

But for me., CM is less than a block away, while they have even worse prices at least they _always_ have interesting things on tap.

Edit: I am back at Craft for the first time in a  while. Prices are roughly 10-15% less than pourhouse, but more importantly, their draft list is very good. There are about 6 things on the list that I really want to drink.

It's odd, there are so few actually good "bars" in this city. 

CM at least has the option to buy packaged beers and drink them at a reasonable price (which many of the other copies have not copied) 

17 minutes ago, grodney said:

While we're chatting.....tomorrow is Sticky When Wet (cans and tap) release at NoDa....2pm.  And last week they released 10.0% Citranomicron (tap), which I assume they still have.  With my eyes on the forecast, I might actually buy some Gordgeous while I'm there.

Thanks for the heads up, my weekend is shaping up nicely!

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

I stopped by Middle James again on Saturday afternoon and I think they really got it right with the "Sports Brewery" niche.  It had a great crowd around 4pm Saturday with lots of people watching the college games.  Had a really interesting sweet potato blonde ale. 

They're opening at 9am Sunday for brunch and the Panthers game.....as is Heist.  But that's not enough time for me to get a beer and a bite before heading home for the game, I need 8 or 8:30, hahahaha.

Edited by grodney

I went up to Enderly Coffee the other day, and thus drove by Traust on the way.  They aren't even close to opening.  Lots of construction going on, but it's going to be a while.  However, I did see on the facebook they are releasing a can....collaboration with 26 Acres in Concord.  So good for them.

8 hours ago, kermit said:

Hard to imagine Sycamore being a fraction as popular as it is now when they lose their beer garden.  It seems to me that a huge portion of their clientele goes just to be outside with their dogs/kids.

I'm sure they will still be fine just based on the population of the area and the office workers in their building, but it feels like this is a big blow to why Sycamore became popular in the first place.

• Like 2

Hard to imagine Sycamore being a fraction as popular as it is now when they lose their beer garden.  It seems to me that a huge portion of their clientele goes just to be outside with their dogs/kids.
I'm sure they will still be fine just based on the population of the area and the office workers in their building, but it feels like this is a big blow to why Sycamore became popular in the first place.

They will have 30% more outdoor space, 400% more taproom space, and a 14,000 sq foot food hall, can’t imagine a scenario where they don’t double or triple their clientele.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They will have 30% more outdoor space, 400% more taproom space, and a 14,000 sq foot food hall, can’t imagine a scenario where they don’t double or triple their clientele.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm almost definitely going to be wrong about this one.  I just think that Sycamore has always been successful as an experience rather than as a brewery.  Thats why I was surprised when they started canning.  The beer has only just recently started to turn the corner as anything of note.   I'm sure the new space is going to be spectacular and I'm excited to hear more details as they come out, but in my mind if you put Sycamore in an office building it basically turns it into Southend's Rock Bottom brewing.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2019 at 8:15 AM, CTiger said:

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm almost definitely going to be wrong about this one.  I just think that Sycamore has always been successful as an experience rather than as a brewery.  Thats why I was surprised when they started canning.  The beer has only just recently started to turn the corner as anything of note.   I'm sure the new space is going to be spectacular and I'm excited to hear more details as they come out, but in my mind if you put Sycamore in an office building it basically turns it into Southend's Rock Bottom brewing.

I would expect they know what to do to create a good experience and will do so at the new location as well. 

/old man yells at clouds/

I was back at Haberdish for the first time in a while yesterday. The food was really good,  but I think I am seeing a trend of crappy tap curation in local restaurants and it is making me sad. Other than Gordgeous (and maybe the Fullsteam pilsner) there was nothing else local (or truly micro) on the beer list.  When the beer list is anchored by Founders All Day, Wicked Weed Pernicious and Bud Light, I really get the feeling that the bar manager is just phoning it in. Unfortunately I am starting to see this kind of tap curation in restaurants all over town — one token local and then a bunch of mediocre macros dressed up to look like good beer.  We live in a remarkably good beer town, why aren't restaurant managers taking advantage of that?

/rant/

The pickles at Haberdish are amazing!

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

/old man screams at clouds/

I was back at Haberdish for the first time in a while yesterday. The food was really good,  but I think I am seeing a trend of crappy tap curation in local restaurants and it is making me sad. Other than Gordgeous (and maybe the Fullsteam pilsner) there was nothing else local (or truly micro) on the beer list.  When the beer list is anchored by Founders All Day, Wicked Weed Pernicious and Bud Light, I really get the feeling that the bar manager is just phoning it in. Unfortunately I am starting to see this kind of tap curation in restaurants all over town — one token local and then a bunch of mediocre macros in disguise.  We live in a really good beer town, why aren”t restaurant managers seeing that?
/rant/
Right? I know distribution doesn't work like this, but imagine what the could do with just the breweries located on their own street.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

/old man screams at clouds/

I was back at Haberdish for the first time in a while yesterday. The food was really good,  but I think I am seeing a trend of crappy tap curation in local restaurants and it is making me sad. Other than Gordgeous (and maybe the Fullsteam pilsner) there was nothing else local (or truly micro) on the beer list.  When the beer list is anchored by Founders All Day, Wicked Weed Pernicious and Bud Light, I really get the feeling that the bar manager is just phoning it in. Unfortunately I am starting to see this kind of tap curation in restaurants all over town — one token local and then a bunch of mediocre macros in disguise.  We live in a really good beer town, why aren”t restaurant managers seeing that?

/rant/

Agree. I love both Haberdish and Crepe Cellar, but they both have never had  much of a local beer selection.  Have not frequented Growlers Pourhouse so not sure if they provide a broad selection there.   Let’s hope Supperland ups their game with more local choices.  

• Like 1