Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

9 hours ago, kermit said:

Sunstead (Gold District) appears to be ready to open. The word from a neighbor is they have brewed three beers done, but would like to have 10 available when they open. My second-hand source said they should be open in "early January."

This has been a bad trend (IMHO).  Startup breweries trying to get 10-12 beers on tap for an opening.  Here is an idea...perfect 3-4 before throwing open the doors, including your IPA and work on honing your craft.  I have had SO many poor beers at grand openings that reflect negatively on the opening day crowd.  For example Middle James IPA version 1 vs the current version 3.  They rolled out a below average NEIPA at opening.  Now version 3 of the IPA is MUCH better.  It takes time for breweries to dial in a new system.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

This has been a bad trend (IMHO).  Startup breweries trying to get 10-12 beers on tap for an opening.  Here is an idea...perfect 3-4 before throwing open the doors, including your IPA and work on honing your craft.  I have had SO many poor beers at grand openings that reflect negatively on the opening day crowd.  For example Middle James IPA version 1 vs the current version 3.  They rolled out a below average NEIPA at opening.  Now version 3 of the IPA is MUCH better.  It takes time for breweries to dial in a new system.    

Same thing happened with Town when they opened. IMO their beers were not good but have been slowly getting better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, a2theb said:

Same thing happened with Town when they opened. IMO their beers were not good but have been slowly getting better.

Yeah….I went in the first few weeks and wasn't impressed (but liked the space)...and have basically forgotten about it although I am not over that way often.  That right there is a perfect example.  I will say I have heard they are making some really good beers now but it has just fallen off my radar. 

7 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Yeah….I went in the first few weeks and wasn't impressed (but liked the space)...and have basically forgotten about it although I am not over that way often.  That right there is a perfect example.  I will say I have heard they are making some really good beers now but it has just fallen off my radar. 

Last night (while talking about Sunstead)I was drinking a Town West Coast IPA (forgot the name). It would give it an 8 out of 10 IMO. 

My IPA scale:

Hop Drop = 9 /10

Jucy Jay (good batches) = 9 / 10  (bad batches -4 / 10) 

What He’s Having = 9.5/10

Higher ground = 4 / 10

All of Sycamores stuff = 2 / 10 (including 1 point bonus for fornicating animal labels)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:10 AM, grodney said:

Holy cow, until being summoned to the Grocery thread, I'd forgotten that Lower Left even existed.  Anybody been there?

I haven't been to Armored Cow or Robot 36th or Protagonist either, but I literally forgot about Lower Left.

Went to Lower Left during the LoSo Block party over the summer, and wasn't all that impressed.  I have talked with people that went to Middle James and likened it to a sports bar that just happened to have a brewery as a part.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:26 AM, grodney said:

I came here to see if anyone had posted about this Charlotte Agenda article.  It made me sad that there are still so many uptight people that would get upset over something like this.  I can't even fathom something fun like this causing any controversy at all in any other city I've lived in.  Charlotte wants be a "world class" city, but remains stuck with this childish and narrow-minded mentality.  Seriously, folks, it's time to grow up.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, tozmervo said:

According to a guy on my neighborhood Facebook, [Lost Worlds Brewing is] about to close on a lease and target opening December-January timeframe. (We all know how that goes.) Sounds like somewhere along West Catawba near the interstate

Agenda with the story today.....now saying March-ish: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/189567/lost-worlds-brewery-lake-norman/

• Like 1

Protagonist opening a second location in the Broken Spoke spot directly across from Olde Meck.  Broken Spoke is apparently moving across the street according to a FB post.   The move is slated for March (for the distillery) so they must be well on their way on their new location (just no official announcement). 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/article238305193.html

Its such a shame that this area, which is really turning into an entertainment district, is a 12+ min walk from the light rail.   

• Like 3

18 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Protagonist opening a second location in the Broken Spoke spot directly across from Olde Meck.  Broken Spoke is apparently moving across the street according to a FB post.   The move is slated for March (for the distillery) so they must be well on their way on their new location (just no official announcement). 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/article238305193.html

Its such a shame that this area, which is really turning into an entertainment district, is a 12+ min walk from the light rail.   

Their previously-planned space on N Brevard was very close to a light rail stop.  I guess the extra space at the new spot, and the neighboring businesses, are worth the switch.  And who knows what other issues they might have run into at the old location.

55 minutes ago, grodney said:

Their previously-planned space on N Brevard was very close to a light rail stop.  I guess the extra space at the new spot, and the neighboring businesses, are worth the switch.  And who knows what other issues they might have run into at the old location.

The article says the Brevard location is still on the table as a location but this spot in Southend will be the full production brewery for potentially all 3 locations.  They might be looking at something along the lines of the Legion concept. Multiple locations with one central brewery.  The Broken Spoke building, at least on aerial view,  is as big as  the new Olde Meck brewery (and seems way too big for a distillery unless they were terribly wasteful with space).  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

The article says the Brevard location is still on the table as a location but this spot in Southend will be the full production brewery for potentially all 3 locations.  They might be looking at something along the lines of the Legion concept. Multiple locations with one central brewery.  The Broken Spoke building, at least on aerial view,  is as big as  the new Olde Meck brewery (and seems way too big for a distillery unless they were terribly wasteful with space).  

Broken Spoke/GWR Distillery is only the very front part of that building, the rest is an energy contractor. Their space is not that big at all.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Any beer insiders know if Triple C had trouble with White Blaze this year?  Just realized the other day when I was looking for it that I haven't seen it being sold anywhere.  Even when I was at the brewery 3-4 weeks ago

I bought it at Teeter several weeks ago.  Haven't seen any lately.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Any beer insiders know if Triple C had trouble with White Blaze this year?  Just realized the other day when I was looking for it that I haven't seen it being sold anywhere.  Even when I was at the brewery 3-4 weeks ago

Seen at the Wesley Heights rhino market today if you're still interested in getting some

IMG_20191226_122813.jpg

• Like 1

C5 reports that Devil’s Logic brewing opens today. Its the former American Billiards spot in Elizabeth on  4th st.

I hope commercial Elizabeth eventually becomes a real neighborhood, its got some good parts but it just never came together.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article238670718.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2