Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

There are two different Facebook pages for Sunstead Brewing.  One is "SunsteadBrewing" and one is "SunsteadBrewingCLT".  The 2nd has the updated logo, so I wrote them yesterday.....but no answer.  I wrote the 1st today, and got the replies below.   Hahahahahahaha.  My guess is that the 1st is controlled by a former associate and there's been a falling out?

sunstead.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

There are two different Facebook pages for Sunstead Brewing.  One is "SunsteadBrewing" and one is "SunsteadBrewingCLT".  The 2nd has the updated logo, so I wrote them yesterday.....but no answer.  I wrote the 1st today, and got the replies below.   Hahahahahahaha.  My guess is that the 1st is controlled by a former associate and there's been a falling out?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Was at Devil's Logic on Friday for the soft opening around dinner time, and was back after a short trip to Bold Missy for trivia.  The six options they had were good.  Eventually, they are going to have (I believe) 20 of their own with some local collaborations down the road.  There is a little bit of parking behind the building, near their outdoor patios (plural).  One of them has a great view of the skyline.  Inside, depending on how crowded it may get could be close during cold weather.  Location is interesting.  Not sure if being close to CPCC is going to be a boon or a bust.

Overall, I think it was pretty good, and I'd go back.

• Like 2

I was in Plaza Mid the other day and realized I hadn't added Cavendish Social House to the Charlotte Breweries List and Map.....so I have rectified that.  I made it a new category, as I believe it's the first out-of-town brewery with a taproom only.  I think Fonta Flora at Optimist Hall will fit this category if they ever open.

Also, see new Growth Charts below.  These assume Sunstead isn't open yet.  The Charlotte Graph ignores that Salud was sort-of an actual brewery for a short time and does not include it as a Charlotte Brewery.  The CharMeck Graph ignores chains.....i.e. Rock Bottom (and Hops if any still existing in 2009 or later).

The count is now at 24-42 for CharMeck, depending on what you count.

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

cltbreweries20200102.jpg

cltbreweriesgraph20200102.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/27/2019 at 8:33 AM, kermit said:

C5 reports that Devil’s Logic brewing opens today. Its the former American Billiards spot in Elizabeth on  4th st.

I hope commercial Elizabeth eventually becomes a real neighborhood, its got some good parts but it just never came together.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article238670718.html

We went to Devil’s Logic this weekend and I am thrilled to report they offer non-IPA options. I have found visiting breweries to be a constant disappointment over the last few years since they are all so focused on IPAs. The space is kind of bizarre, not all connected so to get to the roof top deck you have to go outside and turn a lot. But the view up on the roof top is spectacular. We will definitely go back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sakami said:

We went to Devil’s Logic this weekend and I am thrilled to report they offer non-IPA options. I have found visiting breweries to be a constant disappointment over the last few years since they are all so focused on IPAs. The space is kind of bizarre, not all connected so to get to the roof top deck you have to go outside and turn a lot. But the view up on the roof top is spectacular. We will definitely go back. 

Yeah the space is weird but it’s a result of the age of the building and the ones surrounded. I really like the space. As for the beer. It’s ultra meh, but I am hopeful it’ll get better as they get used to brewing on a larger scale 

• Like 1

1. agenda with the "11 breweries opening in the next 6 months"....and they're not including 2 in Cornelius.  I'd say the realistic o/u by Jun 30 on those 11 is around 3.5.   https://www.charlotteagenda.com/191508/quick-list-of-all-9-breweries-thatll-open-in-charlotte-within-the-next-6-months/  

2. went to Middle James on Sunday....they have a new wit on tap which was fine.  They also have a new Lime beer.  It's horrible.....I mean for me.  Maybe straight lime juice is your thing.  My wife, a proud Iowa grad, poured out the final couple oz.  The alumni association may fine her for that.

3. I don't know if it was mentioned here, but Unknown has recalled their Imperial Teleporter and their Russian Roulette....due to wild yeast infection causing re-ferment and thus exploding cans. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, grodney said:

1. agenda with the "11 breweries opening in the next 6 months"....and they're not including 2 in Cornelius.  I'd say the realistic o/u by Jun 30 on those 11 is around 3.5.   https://www.charlotteagenda.com/191508/quick-list-of-all-9-breweries-thatll-open-in-charlotte-within-the-next-6-months/  

2. went to Middle James on Sunday....they have a new wit on tap which was fine.  They also have a new Lime beer.  It's horrible.....I mean for me.  Maybe straight lime juice is your thing.  My wife, a proud Iowa grad, poured out the final couple oz.  The alumni association may fine her for that.

3. I don't know if it was mentioned here, but Unknown has recalled their Imperial Teleporter and their Russian Roulette....due to wild yeast infection causing re-ferment and thus exploding cans. 

On that last point, I was a victim of the Russian Roulette...

IMG_20191218_210713.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DCtransplant said:

On that last point, I was a victim of the Russian Roulette...

Wow!  I don't know if I mentioned it here, but I was in Rhino one morning at 7am, standing next to the Unknown Ginger Ale when one of them exploded.  That will wake you up......duck and cover, man, duck and cover!!

• Like 1

When agenda posted that "story" yesterday about the 11 new breweries coming soon, it was only 9 (as you can see in the URL).....they left out Petty Thieves and Free Range at Camp North End.  So then they changed it 11 after adding those 2.  Now this morning it's at 10, with them having removed the D9 Fermenteria.  Anybody know what happened?  Is that still a go and just not in the next 6 months?  Or is it scrapped altogether? https://www.charlotteagenda.com/191508/quick-list-of-all-9-breweries-thatll-open-in-charlotte-within-the-next-6-months/

Also, agenda today reporting on Sunstead opening Jan 18: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/191942/a-new-brewery-called-sunstead-opens-soon-near-bank-of-america-stadium/

6 hours ago, grodney said:

I got word from D9 via the twitter machine that they had to cancel the Fermenteria (near McGill Rose Garden on N Davidson) "due to complications with the railroad".  So it has been removed from my map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

That's a shame.  Sours are still one thing this city is still lacking (and no, kettle sours don't count).  Would have been awesome to have something like the Funkatorium.

6 hours ago, grodney said:

I got word from D9 via the twitter machine that they had to cancel the Fermenteria (near McGill Rose Garden on N Davidson) "due to complications with the railroad".  So it has been removed from my map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

I wonder if they will try again at another location.  I could see that concept working well in the Scaleybark brewery district or over in West Charlotte off Thrift road in one of the warehouse upfits.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:27 AM, grodney said:

My brother works at D9 and from the sounds of it, the place is having some money issues. Staff wages has been cut back and some let go. Among other Issues. 

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

Not at all.  Their tweet to me a week ago said "Our uptown location isn't far away though!". 

I don't know if they were talking time or distance, but either way, definitely not dead.

The uptown pavilion could be the reason they are in money trouble.   Would be a shame though.  If they had plans for two new locations and now they have to cut salary and workers, something is draining their money.