Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 1/16/2020 at 10:55 AM, Nathan2 said:

My brother works at D9 and from the sounds of it, the place is having some money issues. Staff wages has been cut back and some let go. Among other Issues. 

Interesting, I stopped by the Cornelius location the other day and the beer was not very good, I always remember being impressed with their stuff in the past. 

Also, King Canary was fantastic. They also have had some major issues (hadn't heard about these until looking up where it was to stop by), but are producing some excellent beer across a range of styles in a cool little spot. 

On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, kermit said:

So I guess their uptown beer garden is dead now. Bummer. 

Its under construction now. Edit, I see people have posted photos of this.

Edited by Guest

Has anyone had Birdsong Honey Pie this year? Do you feel it's not as good as in year's past? Trying to figure out if that's the case or just that my palate has changed over the last year. It is always my favorite seasonal from Birdsong and liked it much better than Hopslam. 

6 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Has anyone had Birdsong Honey Pie this year? Do you feel it's not as good as in year's past? Trying to figure out if that's the case or just that my palate has changed over the last year. It is always my favorite seasonal from Birdsong and liked it much better than Hopslam. 

I've had a few cans and loved it as much as ever.  It's one of my top 5 beers in town, and I didn't notice any difference this year.  However, with almost a year between tastings, I'm probably not the most discerning taster ever.  Now if you changed my Mountain Dew or my HopDrop, I'd know right away!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I didn’t get any this year because last year’s batch let me down. It just seemed ‘blah’

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

I didn’t get any this year because last year’s batch let me down. It just seemed ‘blah’

I actually liked last year's batch quite a bit. This year seemed more of what you described from last year. I've only had it in cans so interested to see if there is any difference on tap.

^I hope they aren't going Wicked Weed on us or merging with anyone else. Optimistic it's a new local venue or venture, though they have two with the OG. 

EDIT: Someone posted on the twitter that they hop NoDa is announcing an uptown location and NoDa "liked" the comment. Hmmmmm...

Edited by HopHead
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Perhaps taking the Rock Bottom space

Interesting idea...but three locations all within a few miles of each other would seem odd.   I still don't see how not one of these breweries has expanded to Ballantyne.  Wouldn't even need to be some huge investment.  Just open a tap room with a patio.  

That said, I think an uptown location will do well...but will it hurt the other taproom sales?  

HOWEVER...I just noticed Noda's social media manager "liked" one persons comment on facebook about a Ballantyne taproom on their Facebook page...and that was the only comment she liked.  So let the speculation begin (for a few hours until they announce). haha

Jayvee probably has ninja insider info, so Rock Bottom seems likely.  But yeah on Ballantyne.  I begged for the space at Blakeney next to the fountains....that didn't happen.  Then I begged for the space at Blakeney where Burton's ended up.....that didn't happen.  The old Dean & Deluca at Stonecrest is still unoccupied......but if Stonecrest raised leases so much that they drove everybody out, then probably no local brewery can afford that.  I just fall back on....if it were economically feasible to be anywhere near Ballantyne, some local brewery would have already done it.

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Rock Bottom is decent spot, but they could go the Sycamore route and go into one of the new towers at LU or Ally Center.  With the addition of MLS, a Noda taproom on Stonewall could be boomin.

So my take on the Rock Bottom space is that they would be getting in on the ground floor (so to speak on a couple of levels) with the new apartments going up in Levineland (NOT HIS) and the new/old announcement of the Public building in front of the apartments on N. Tryon.  This part of Uptown is slowly getting its act together and as we have discussed on the board, could end up looking like S. Tryon in the next few years.  So, even though it is relatively close to their current spot, it has a captive audience, especially with more and more living Uptown.

In all honesty, I don't think I ever stepped foot in Rock Bottom, but from what I remember seeing as I walked or drove by, it is a production facility.  So I could also see this being a small batch kind of facility for them, but still serving the full complement of beers that they have on tap just up the street.

We shall see!

• Like 1

Fonta Flora Tap room through a window on a rainy night.

Upstairs at Optimist Hall has a bit of a 1980s mall food court vibe on an early Friday evening with more than a few teens (some on dates) parading around for the evening. [I don’t mean that in an entirely negative way]

AC343E92-DE5D-4468-BDA7-65DD80A8B959.jpeg

BFF86C30-5D08-49C8-A685-2A805DB2626E.jpeg

DBAF7E72-161F-4257-B329-CA49C0DF8A32.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Interesting idea...but three locations all within a few miles of each other would seem odd.   I still don't see how not one of these breweries has expanded to Ballantyne.  Wouldn't even need to be some huge investment.  Just open a tap room with a patio.  
That said, I think an uptown location will do well...but will it hurt the other taproom sales?  
HOWEVER...I just noticed Noda's social media manager "liked" one persons comment on facebook about a Ballantyne taproom on their Facebook page...and that was the only comment she liked.  So let the speculation begin (for a few hours until they announce). haha

Meanwhile Legion will have a Uptown location by 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to Sunstead on Saturday.  Love the place.  Really nice.  Great art.  Love the brewhouse setup.  Good view of uptown.  Friendly people.  Menu looked good but we didn't eat.  I had 4 of the beers in a flight, plus tasted my wife's.   I'm trying to think of a way to spin this more positive, but the Imperial Stout was approaching average, and the others were below.  I look forward to going back, as maybe I was having a bad day.

In other news, teh agenda is saying Fonta Flora should be open within a week or so.

Edited by grodney
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Went to Sunstead on Saturday.  Love the place.  Really nice.  Great art.  Love the brewhouse setup.  Good view of uptown.  Friendly people.  Menu looked good but we didn't eat.  I had 4 of the beers in a flight, plus tasted my wife's.   I'm trying to think of a way to spin this more positive, but the Imperial Stout was approaching average, and the others were below.  I look forward to going back, as maybe I was having a bad day.

In other news, teh agenda is saying Fonta Flora should be open within a week or so.

Hey I was there Saturday too!  The "Stole the Moon" IPA was interesting had a bit of a dry finish.  The group I was with seemed to order the Coconut Chocolate Stout the most.  I stuck with the English Ale which I thought was fairly standard.

I agree the food menu did seem to have some good options

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Thanks 1