Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

I drove past Lower Left today and it startled me -- I had completely forgotten about it.  Anyone had their beer recently?

Haha, I didn't go when it opened and had completely forgotten it, until someone mentioned it in mid-December.  We went then......don't know if that's "recently".  Anyway, it was great.  The place had a vibe similar to the original Birdsong location.  I think I had 4 half-pours and they were all good.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grodney said:

Haha, I didn't go when it opened and had completely forgotten it, until someone mentioned it in mid-December.  We went then......don't know if that's "recently".  Anyway, it was great.  The place had a vibe similar to the original Birdsong location.  I think I had 4 half-pours and they were all good.  

Very yummy beers but they definitely have not done a great job getting their name out there

17 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Very yummy beers but they definitely have not done a great job getting their name out there

Well hey, they'll have a apartment complex down the street if they stick it out 2 more years.

15 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Raleigh probably 

Do they have infrastructure to self distribute that far away?   In Charleston they are using a distributor.  They fought tooth and nail to not use a distributor in NC but a three hour drive one way just to get into the market seems tough logistically.  Unless maybe it’s to a few grocery store distribution centers? 

35 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Do they have infrastructure to self distribute that far away?   In Charleston they are using a distributor.  They fought tooth and nail to not use a distributor in NC but a three hour drive one way just to get into the market seems tough logistically.  Unless maybe it’s to a few grocery store distribution centers? 

Their beer was available (not sure to what degree)  in the Triangle before the distribution law changed so they were doing some self-distribution there. . I had seen cans in Southern Season (RIP), and the Beer Study. Also saw Hop Drop on tap in both Chapel Hill and Durham over the past couple of years. 

Edited by kermit

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

Their beer was available (not sure to what degree)  in the Triangle before the distribution law changed so they were doing some self-distribution there. . I had seen cans in Southern Season (RIP), and Hop Drop on tap in both Chapel Hill and Durham over the past couple of years. 

I know some places used to drive to the brewery and bring it back to RDU.  Not sure if that is the case anymore since there is so much selection available locally in the triangle. 

This just in from our sister thread Drinking Beer in Matthews:  Carolina Beer Temple is closing for good next weekend.  They are "merging" with Temple Mojo.  Both are already owned by the same guy/people, so the "merge" is just moving retail coolers and shelves into Mojo and closing the original space.  The move into Mojo should happen the first week in March.

12 minutes ago, grodney said:

This just in from our sister thread Drinking Beer in Matthews:  Carolina Beer Temple is closing for good next weekend.  They are "merging" with Temple Mojo.  Both are already owned by the same guy/people, so the "merge" is just moving retail coolers and shelves into Mojo and closing the original space.  The move into Mojo should happen the first week in March.

That makes sense.  The Mojo spot is a great location and I really like the vibe there, especially when the weather is nice.  I am sure it wasn't easy running three separate locations even know they are walking distance to each other.  Wonder how they will change the layout in Mojo. 

Got out to Sunstead this weekend and unfortunately left a little disappointed.  The space is gorgeous, but I was there about 3PM on a Saturday and they were already out of their two best selling beers.  The two beers I had were both average if not below average, and their NE IPA didn't really look or taste like a NE IPA.   Hopefully they get the beer figured out because its a cool little spot.  

CBJ reports:

This Charlotte brewery is in the spotlight. NoDa Brewing Co. landed on Southern Living’s list of best breweries in the South.

The brewery is featured in the magazine’s January/February issue. 

It is one of three North Carolina breweries to make the cut. Highland Brewing Co. in Asheville and Trophy Brewing Co. in Raleigh are the others. 

Well deserved, I am constantly impressed by NoDa's consistency. Gezz, Highland, really? I never understood the appeal of their beer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/03/charlotte-brewery-notches-national-recognition.html

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

CBJ reports:

Well deserved, I am constantly impressed by NoDa's consistency. Gezz, Highland, really? I never understood the appeal of their beer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/03/charlotte-brewery-notches-national-recognition.html

To this day, Cold Mountain is one of my favorite all-time beers. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CTiger said:

Got out to Sunstead this weekend and unfortunately left a little disappointed.  The space is gorgeous, but I was there about 3PM on a Saturday and they were already out of their two best selling beers.  The two beers I had were both average if not below average, and their NE IPA didn't really look or taste like a NE IPA.   Hopefully they get the beer figured out because its a cool little spot.  

Oh well, this was one that I had hoped to go to.  Unfortunately, I have seen a few meh reviews here and it is dissuading me from trying it out.  Luckily, if it is that underwhelming, Unknown is just a block and a half away!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ reports:

Highland makes some pretty excellent beer, however they  brew for the masses and aren't looking to "hop" on every trend.   That said, they aren't really even top 3 in Asheville, let alone the South.   But Southern Living is not ranking beer for the beer nerds, more so for the older crowd that likes to travel and have a drink (and Highland's taproom is great for that, especially if the weather is nice). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HopHead said:

If only I could downvote this post.. (ducks)

Its gotten progressively worse over the years much like all their beers. Used to love Gaelic and the black mocha stout but they have just become average these days. This in addition to every IPA they put out being bottom of the barrel leads me to rarely drinking Highland much anymore.