Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

15 hours ago, kermit said:

So whats happening to the original tap room at the Southend Wooden Robot? Is now all being used for brewing and gone forever or are they just remodeling?

The original taproom isn't open?  Do they still have the extended eating/drinking space that they added?  I haven't been there in so long, I have no idea what the setup is.

4 minutes ago, grodney said:

The original taproom isn't open?  Do they still have the extended eating/drinking space that they added?  I haven't been there in so long, I have no idea what the setup is.

Yes, they recently completed a large expansion.  They took the former space of the Park It company that was there, and added a massive outdoor beer garden.

3 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Yes, they recently completed a large expansion.  They took the former space of the Park It company that was there, and added a massive outdoor beer garden.

and none of the new stuff is awful, but the old space was much more interesting and the new patio space only has views of the Fergusons. Their original patio was small, but it had good trees and views of the skyline (not sure if the old patio is still accessible or not).

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

and none of the new stuff is awful, but the old space was much more interesting and the new patio space only has views of the Fergusons. Their original patio was small, but it had good trees and views of the skyline (not sure if the old patio is still accessible or not).

Yeah, it has definitely lost a lot of the intimacy and uniqueness which made it a cool place to visit in the beginning.  Wooden Robot just outgrew that size of a brewery though and this was inevitable.

In other news, I got to visit Devil's Logic for the first time this weekend and was thoroughly impressed by their beer.   I had the Castles in the Sky which was a tasty and clean IPA and the #8 which was a really nice stout.   I think this one will quickly fly up the ranks in Charlotte.   I thought the space itself was awkward, but it was wet and cold when we went so everyone was forced to be indoors.

• Like 1

Last night I had a Captain Jack, a Citraquench'l, and a Hop Drop.....and I just wanted to say how good life is.  Sorry to make you click in for a nothing post.  I hope you all have a wonderful v-day and a great weekend. 

(I'm brewing a Citraquench'l clone this weekend.  Couldn't find a recipe online, so I threw one together based on a couple other hazy ones I found.  I know it won't be close, but it'll be fun trying.)

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, kermit said:

Every once in a while a Copper really hits the spot.

[it should be our Old Style or Iron City or Natty Boh. Sell it for $4 everywhere and it would be a much higher quality version of the default local]

Funny. I saw a Bud Heavy commercial last weekend and thought it looked delicious. So I bought some Captain Jack, and I'm quite enjoying it!

On 2/10/2020 at 12:59 PM, kermit said:

The old patio at Wooden Robot appears to still be useable, but is closed most of the time. It also appears that its very impressive skyline view is now totally blocked by the apartments at the Railyard so... progress...

On 2/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, Desert Power said:

Except for Sycamore, it seems...

Sycamore gives people exactly what they want, where & when they want it. This makes it far different than a poorly capitalized brewery with decent beer and a stretch branding in a bad location with no foot traffic. (of which there are probably a few others still existing, and opening in the near future). 

1 hour ago, wilmore said:

Sycamore gives people exactly what they want, where & when they want it. This makes it far different than a poorly capitalized brewery with decent beer and a stretch branding in a bad location with no foot traffic. (of which there are probably a few others still existing, and opening in the near future). 

I know, just poking some light fun as I'm not a fan of their beer. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Lost Worlds in Cornelius seems well on the way to their Spring opening. Sounds like they plan on having six taps, which sounds promising. Has anyone sampled their selection at any festivals? 

https://www.lostworldsbeer.com/ 

Any intel on OMB in Cornelius? 

My field personnel tell me that Edge City is getting close.....but that sounds like something I don't want to google at work. 

Oh and after reading your Devil's Logic review Sat morning, I decided we should check it out that day.  Loved it.  The beer was good (Pale above average, West Coast average, Hazy really good, Stout a little watery and shallow, small batch Smoked Stout was really good, oh and I'm not a sour expert but the berry gose was drinkable (to me) so it must be okay).  Place was great for the odd footprint.  Love the outdoor space.  Love the murals out back (we parked back there since we were super early).  Bardude said they're working on murals inside.  And any place that has Sequence board game on hand gets my vote immediately.  Didn't try the food.

Also had to visit our old friends at Birdsong for a 4-pack of the Pterodactyl and a pint of Jalapeno straight from the source.  Man, having Pterodactyl and Hop Cakes in the house at the same time makes for some groggy mornings.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grodney said:

Any intel on OMB in Cornelius? 

My field personnel tell me that Edge City is getting close.....but that sounds like something I don't want to google at work. 

Oh and after reading your Devil's Logic review Sat morning, I decided we should check it out that day.  Loved it.  The beer was good (Pale above average, West Coast average, Hazy really good, Stout a little watery and shallow, small batch Smoked Stout was really good, oh and I'm not a sour expert but the berry gose was drinkable (to me) so it must be okay).  Place was great for the odd footprint.  Love the outdoor space.  Love the murals out back (we parked back there since we were super early).  Bardude said they're working on murals inside.  And any place that has Sequence board game on hand gets my vote immediately.  Didn't try the food.

Also had to visit our old friends at Birdsong for a 4-pack of the Pterodactyl and a pint of Jalapeno straight from the source.  Man, having Pterodactyl and Hop Cakes in the house at the same time makes for some groggy mornings.

let me GTFY since I'm at home today :)
http://edgecitybrewery.com/ , countdown says 29 days to opening. 

Last time I went by the OMB Cornelius site, there were signs of construction. Last news update I saw said they were still planning a late summer 2020 opening. Based on the kind of crowds I've seen at http://boatyardeats.com/, it's hard to imagine it won't be a huge hit. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI for those who hadn't seen this: https://www.ncbeerguys.com/north_carolina_beer_event_info/noda-brewing-companys-too-blessed-to-be-stressed-release/ 

Collab between most of the NoDa breweries and 2 in Plaza Midwood, brewed at Noda Brewing but available at most of the Noda breweries starting last Saturday as a tribute to Scott Brooks. Pretty decent lager, but 100% of the proceeds are being donated to Habitat for Humanity in his honor. Go grab a pint or a t-shirt!

• Thanks 1