Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 3/6/2020 at 8:49 AM, CTiger said:

Any insight on what is causing the delays?  Seems like this should have been pretty quick and easy since the building already exists.

From what I have heard, there was what we can consider a "miscommunication" between the liquor license for a single location.  It sounded like there was a lack of due diligence done.  However, since I'm not well versed in the ABC laws for the state, I cannot speak with 100% accuracy what exactly is going on.  I believe it surrounded the current license that the location has for morning/early afternoon hours versus what they would need for afternoon/evening hours - or something to that affect.

Either way, I hope it gets sorted out soon.  On paper, this is a great opportunity for both ventures.  I guess we will need to stay tuned.  If i hear anything more, I will post.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

From what I have heard, there was what we can consider a "miscommunication" between the liquor license for a single location.  It sounded like there was a lack of due diligence done.  However, since I'm not well versed in the ABC laws for the state, I cannot speak with 100% accuracy what exactly is going on.  I believe it surrounded the current license that the location has for morning/early afternoon hours versus what they would need for afternoon/evening hours - or something to that affect.

Either way, I hope it gets sorted out soon.  On paper, this is a great opportunity for both ventures.  I guess we will need to stay tuned.  If i hear anything more, I will post.

You’re pretty darn close. Lack of due diligence sums it up solidly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grodney said:

OMB now in cans.  4-packs of 16oz.  $12 at Rhino.

IMG_20200310_085624.jpg

I remember when they adamently declared their beer would never be in cans because of the purity law nonsense they wave around. How long until they make an IPA? (This is the part where all their bland beer loyalists jump to the rescue.) 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, grodney said:

OMB now in cans.  4-packs of 16oz.  $12 at Rhino.

Just curious - did you check what the 6 pack bottle price is at Rhino?  I know a 6 pack of Copper/Captain Jack is $9.99 at HT and Publix.  If they charge more for less beer just because its in a can that would anger me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Just curious - did you check what the 6 pack bottle price is at Rhino?  I know a 6 pack of Copper/Captain Jack is $9.99 at HT and Publix.  If they charge more for less beer just because its in a can that would anger me.

Sorry, they only had Fruh in bottles and I didn't check the price. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CTiger said:

They have said they will continue to bottle.  The cans are aimed at summer pool drinking crowd.   

But yeah their "we will NEVER can" shtick....it's  BS.  German brewers have their beers in cans (and that market is growing rapidly).  Every time I am  in Germany, I see more and more can offerings, from the original Munich breweries to the craft IPA's.  Germany is very reusable bottle  heavy, but there was never a "thing" about not being able to put a Paulaner Original in a can.  

3 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

They have said they will continue to bottle.  The cans are aimed at summer pool drinking crowd.   

I always bias toward cans. Much lighter to transport, easier to chill, and aluminum is by far and away one of the most efficiently recycled and recyclable materials. Most glass just goes to the dump now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I always bias toward cans. Much lighter to transport, easier to chill, and aluminum is by far and away one of the most efficiently recycled and recyclable materials. Most glass just goes to the dump now. 

Me too for the same reasons, plus I prefer the 16oz serving size vs 12oz.     Plus it makes the big green recycling bin a lot lighter and quieter LOL

15 hours ago, CTiger said:

This happens a lot. I get the benefits of cans, but the pricing, specifically on 16oz cans, confuses the heck out of me. While there isn't a huge difference in total ounces (8), the price is. $12 at my local Teeter, I've noticed, is on the low end for 4 packs. They've creeped up to $16-17 at times! It can't be that canning is that much more expensive because 6 pack cans cost the same as the bottles. Convenience? I don't buy it. Literally. Maybe I'm just irritable because my wife and I are on a self imposed month of no drinking. Feeling good but I want a beer. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the feeling that this is gonna be really tough on the breweries that don't have any significant grocery store distribution. Extra degrees of difficulty for not knowing when they can open up again (when do they start up the next batch?)

Sunstead
Town (have they started canning?)
Lower Left
Armored Cow
Free Range

Given all their current expansion projects, I hope Legion has plenty of money in the bank to ride this out.

10 hours ago, kermit said:

Getting the feeling that this is gonna be really tough on the breweries that don't have any significant grocery store distribution. Extra degrees of difficulty for not knowing when they can open up again (when do they start up the next batch?)

Sunstead
Town (have they started canning?)
Lower Left
Armored Cow
Free Range

Given all their current expansion projects, I hope Legion has plenty of money in the bank to ride this out.

I saw a gram from a Statesville brewery that they ran out of growlers and crowlers on Saturday and have to close completely until a new shipment arrives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I saw a gram from a Statesville brewery that they ran out of growlers and crowlers on Saturday and have to close completely until a new shipment arrives. 

Went to Legion South Park to pick up lunch and refill my growler yesterday.  Overheard one of the employees say they were close to running out of crowlers/growlers too

On 3/21/2020 at 10:14 PM, kermit said:

CBJ has a story on Legion today. Lots of layoffs, they are working on maintaining their current footing when business resumes and they mention this:

The forced closing puts pressure on Legion’s portfolio — though Buchy remains positive the brewery can weather a shutdown, be it 30 or 90 days. The brewer has been in talks with banks and its landlords.

Not much info, but its a slow day for non-end of the world news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/23/legion-brewing-founder-talksnext-steps-after-covid.html

Their location certainly didn't help, when they are counting on tap room sales for nearly all of their revenue. Not when people need to drive there.

edit to expand a bit. It's in a industrial-ish office park, with nothing "interesting" around it. no where to walk etc. you're literally counting on people needing to drive there to drink, but not too much, because they also need to drive home.

Edited by Matthew.Brendan

58 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Their location certainly didn't help, when they are counting on tap room sales for nearly all of their revenue. Not when people need to drive there.

edit to expand a bit. It's in a industrial-ish office park, with nothing "interesting" around it. no where to walk etc. you're literally counting on people needing to drive there to drink, but not too much, because they also need to drive home.

D9, Ass Clown & Eleven Lakes in Cornelius are all in mostly unwalkable industrial parks but all seem to be doing well. They're also close enough together that you could bounce from one to the next and they help each other in that way, not unlike the original NoDa breweries back in 2011. I think the long term successful tap rooms are able to establish as a local/neighborhood hangout. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, kermit said:

Hard to know for sure but it looks like construction may have stopped (and equipment has been removed) from the Legion Southend, Trolly Barn site.

Well, there is still some activity at the Legion site happening.  They were working on the deck today and some ornamental masonry materials have been delivered in the past week.

7CF7D6D4-84B7-4E1E-B4F0-41F363563ED3.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1