Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 4/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, tozmervo said:

Lost Worlds in Cornelius opens tomorrow, at least for takeout. I've heard one review that was good from a reliable drinker - I'll see for myself tomorrow!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2627000454078297&id=1892211320890551

Didn't update myself. Vista West Coast IPA was quite good. I was very impressed for a day-open brewery. It's the only one I've tried so far, but looking forward to more.

• Like 1

Good article on local breweries and PPP in the Business Journal. Owners offer some surprising details about their business (the Legion and Wooden Robot payroll is roughly $100,000 per week according to the respective owners).

The most tragic news was from Old Meck, John Marrino offed this:

Production is down by 50%. Marrino expects to dump beer ­

Surely we can find a way to ameliorate this tragedy.

Marrino says his plans are currently assuming 50% capacity reopening in July and back at normal activity no sooner than November.

NoDa saw 2/3 of sales disappear. Brewing was reduced by 25%/ Grocery store revenue was up 15% (partly due to expansion into the Raleigh market)

Wooden Robot to go sales in Southend are about 15% of normal taproom.

Sycamore taproom was 39% of total sales in 2019

Birdsong blocked out time in three weeks for “Keg Murder” — where it evaluates the lifespan of roughly $40,000 worth of kegged beer in inventory. Goulet expects some of that to sell, but the rest will go down the drain.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/04/23/ppp-funding-buys-time-for-some-of-charlottes.html

19 hours ago, kermit said:

Good article on local breweries and PPP in the Business Journal. Owners offer some surprising details about their business (the Legion and Wooden Robot payroll is roughly $100,000 per week according to the respective owners).

The most tragic news was from Old Meck, John Marrino offed this:

Surely we can find a way to ameliorate this tragedy.

Marrino says his plans are currently assuming 50% capacity reopening in July and back at normal activity no sooner than November.

NoDa saw 2/3 of sales disappear. Brewing was reduced by 25%/ Grocery store revenue was up 15% (partly due to expansion into the Raleigh market)

Wooden Robot to go sales in Southend are about 15% of normal taproom.

Sycamore taproom was 39% of total sales in 2019

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/04/23/ppp-funding-buys-time-for-some-of-charlottes.html

Legion $100K per week, Robot $100K per month - I was trying to do the math there and was v confused (the article also has employee numbers). 

Sycamore def seems like they're in the best position given they made so much on the land sale.  

• Thanks 1

Sycamore delivery was also a great experience, tested that out on Wednesday

While a beer thread I must say the hard seltzer that NoDa (Brizo) and Sycamore (Bubs) are really good.  My wife tends to drink these and the national brand just tastes like a bunch of chemicals to me but the ones we've had locally actually taste like the flavors they're intended to be.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Instead of dumping beer here’s a crazy idea, price them cheap and watch them sell. 

Yeah...please don't use a write off as a way to get a pity party.   The raw materials for a 1/6 barrel is < $50 for most beer.  They could easily price them to sell and they will and recoup their investment.   Hell, Foothills is selling 1/6 barrels for $40 to clear out inventory.   

Merino rather take the write off and still get the pity party rather than a keg clearance sale.   

• Like 2

Just back from picking up some crowlers from Town. While its nothing like pre-pandemic, they appeared to be moving lots of online orders through their window. They also had some good looking food specials. Very pleased to see some signs of life.

You can pick up, but they also have an online ordering system and they deliver to the area on Tuesdays and Fridays.

• Like 1

Heard a rumor that Brewers at Yancy has $3.99 crowlers (I don't remember any details). I was very impressed by the price, but it made me realize I don't love any of their beer enough to go get any. Bummer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Heard a rumor that Brewers at Yancy has $3.99 crowlers (I don't remember any details). I was very impressed by the price, but it made me realize I don't love any of their beer enough to go get any. Bummer.

Agreed on their beer.

Also, a $3.99 crowler is just a dollar or two saved, ounce per ounce, over a 16oz can of most local beer, not to mention it is poured in an environment with oxygen. It is a deal, I guess, but really it just seems like it because so many of these other breweries are out of bounds with their crowler/growler pricing.

With all the awesome properly canned options out there, I hardly see it as worth it to drive to a brewery with a mask on just to save a buck or two on beer that has such a short time until tasting less than optimal. I am all for supporting local, but when breweries like Divine Barrel are charging $11 and up for two pints in a hand poured can... nah, I'm good.

Edited by NeverSummer

22 hours ago, tozmervo said:

When the world looks back on Spring 2020, I have little doubt that what will be most remembered was the quiet unleashing of Higher Ground in cans. 

2020-05-03 14.24.08.jpg

Just know however: they only plan to can during the covid shutdown.  They have said they don't plan to continue to can Higher Ground once accounts start buying kegs again.