Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 8/15/2020 at 11:24 AM, tozmervo said:

I added an accessory this morning.  

I love it!  Love your beach setup, too.  I'll have to show my wife and daughters since they do the decorating.....all I do is fish.....I hit 500 fish Jul 23 and just passed 2000 last night, hahahaha.

ObligatoryBreweryNews: Vaulted Oak Brewing, "coming soon" somewhere near Bojangles.  The partner not mentioned is Johnie Jones who does weekly trivia at Heist.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/228026/a-new-brewery-is-under-construction-in-an-old-bank-on-monroe-road/

On 8/17/2020 at 7:29 AM, grodney said:

ObligatoryBreweryNews: Vaulted Oak Brewing, "coming soon" somewhere near Bojangles.  The partner not mentioned is Johnie Jones who does weekly trivia at Heist.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/228026/a-new-brewery-is-under-construction-in-an-old-bank-on-monroe-road/

I can’t figure this place out. The building went from abandoned to under construction overnight last week but I really don’t understand their plan. They don’t have a head brewer but they will open before the end of the year? Did they just get a loan with the promise of a good idea and will figure out the actual beer details down the road? 

15 minutes ago, sakami said:

I can’t figure this place out. The building went from abandoned to under construction overnight last week but I really don’t understand their plan. They don’t have a head brewer but they will open before the end of the year? Did they just get a loan with the promise of a good idea and will figure out the actual beer details down the road? 

I don't think that is far fetched.  Very few owners are the head brewers.   They come up with a plan and then hire someone to brew it.   Legion was well under construction before it hired Alexa away from Heist (and I don't think the Legion owner had any experience brewing beer). 

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't think that is far fetched.  Very few owners are the head brewers.   They come up with a plan and then hire someone to brew it.   Legion was well under construction before it hired Alexa away from Heist (and I don't think the Legion owner had any experience brewing beer). 

It's like the restaurant business, right? Very few owners are the head chefs themselves.

15 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It's like the restaurant business, right? Very few owners are the head chefs themselves.

Some are some aren't.  Like Noda was founded on the owner Todd's homebrewed recipes (hop drop, coco loco, ramble on red) but hired Chad to be head brewer.  Others like Divine where the owner is still the head brewer (Ben was winning home brew competitions 15+ years ago but also working in the industry for long time).    And others like Legion and Heist where the owner had no brewing experience and just hired the right people.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Some are some aren't.  Like Noda was founded on the owner Todd's homebrewed recipes (hop drop, coco loco, ramble on red) but hired Chad to be head brewer.  Others like Divine where the owner is still the head brewer (Ben was winning home brew competitions 15+ years ago but also working in the industry for long time).    And others like Legion and Heist where the owner had no brewing experience and just hired the right people.  

I think I just thought multiple beer recipes would take at least a few months to hammer out. And you are right about owners not always being the brewer but I guess I had mistakenly assumed at least a vague interest in beer brewing. My only experience is knowing about Devil’s Logic with an owner who has been backyard beer brewing for a long time. 

8 hours ago, sakami said:

I think I just thought multiple beer recipes would take at least a few months to hammer out. And you are right about owners not always being the brewer but I guess I had mistakenly assumed at least a vague interest in beer brewing. My only experience is knowing about Devil’s Logic with an owner who has been backyard beer brewing for a long time. 

In this day and age, decent commercial brewers are a dime a dozen. Anyone can make a decent hazy IPA, myself included as a home brewer. 

many of these home brewers think they can run a business and brew.  Sure, some can, but a solid business plan and solid head brewer are more important.  

Resident Culture owners had no brewing experience (but good location) and hired well above their pay grade.  They are printing money now

• Like 1

18 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I don't think the Legion owner had any experience brewing beer. 

Buchy was a "longtime homebrewer".....not that it changes your point.  I'm a longtime homebrewer, but that doesn't mean I'd be any more successful at opening a brewery than someone who isn't.

https://plazamidwood.com/legion-brewing-and-other-fermenting-rumors/

46 minutes ago, grodney said:

Buchy was a "longtime homebrewer".....not that it changes your point.  I'm a longtime homebrewer, but that doesn't mean I'd be any more successful at opening a brewery than someone who isn't.

https://plazamidwood.com/legion-brewing-and-other-fermenting-rumors/

Didn't know he brewed as I have never seen his involvement other than owner (just going by 4 years of social media).  I am guessing he wasn't very good at it (like the majority of home brewers) but had the means to build what he wanted and hire someone to brew for him.   Most of these places....if you have the money to start with, you can be successful if you are smart.

Daniel finally gets the deets on Sunstead/Toucan Louie/Salty Parrot:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article245041240.html

TL:DR - co-founder of D9 has left and bought majority stake in this brewery along with some of original owners staying on as investors.   Looks like he was involved earlier in helping develop some of their core beer.  Plans a sour program. 

I have to imagine they have a big hill to climb to after 3 name changes in like 3 months.  But the guy has the credentials to brew some good beer. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:49 AM, InSouthPark said:

Daniel finally gets the deets on Sunstead/Toucan Louie/Salty Parrot:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article245041240.html

TL:DR - co-founder of D9 has left and bought majority stake in this brewery along with some of original owners staying on as investors.   Looks like he was involved earlier in helping develop some of their core beer.  Plans a sour program. 

I have to imagine they have a big hill to climb to after 3 name changes in like 3 months.  But the guy has the credentials to brew some good beer. 

credentials yes, but all 3 beers I tried fell very very flat. IPA was a B-, Gingerbread Ale was a C+, stout was F, tasted like dish water. Sat down on a picnic table and suddenly had ants crawling all over me. Feels like they have a long road ahead of them in a space that won't be viable for two years.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

credentials yes, but all 3 beers I tried fell very very flat. IPA was a B-, Gingerbread Ale was a C+, stout was F, tasted like dish water. Sat down on a picnic table and suddenly had ants crawling all over me. Feels like they have a long road ahead of them in a space that won't be viable for two years.

Hard to tell if he actually brewed those beers however.  From what the article implied, he just came up with a few of their recipes before he bought it (untappd shows the gingerbread one  was added in June).  A smart businessman would dump everything a previous owner had brewed however.  Nothing ruins a brewery reputation than putting out crap beers at an opening.  We have hit peak brewery  time.   Unless you are in my backyard, if you put out crappy beers at opening, you probably aren't getting a second chance unless there is a lot of new talk.  I mean I am at a point where I don't even hit all the new openings anymore.  I have too many of my regulars that I want to visit.

• Like 1

In one sense, I am glad to know that life is continuing as normal in Southend (although it did not look like she enjoyed it).

As someone who did more than my share of ice-luge shots in the (late)  80s,  I am having a hard time getting worked up about this.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:02 PM, kermit said:
In one sense, I am glad to know that life is continuing as normal in Southend (although it did not look like she enjoyed it).
Given the current state of the world I am having a hard time getting worked up about this. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest