Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Loading lots of pumpkin beer (Southern Tier Pumpking) into Southend Publix today.

Ugh

(but to be fair, I am heading to NoDa to pick up some Dreamsicle this afternoon, so to each his own)

What bothers me:   Noda released Gordgeous before their Oktoberfest.    Oktoberfest THEN pumpkin beers.    *Checks Calendar* - Yes Oktoberfest traditionally starts in a few weeks - Halloween season starts a few weeks after that.  Plan your beer releases accordingly please!

Tank work is underway at NoDa. There were three of these tanks in the parking lot today along with the lift to move them around (third tank behind lift on right). 

They didn’t look new, not sure if it’s a rearrangement / cleaning or expansion. (See below for update)

DB593124-C1E9-4E75-AB26-ABAD4FBBCD66.jpeg

and then the next day:

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

What bothers me:   Noda released Gordgeous before their Oktoberfest.    Oktoberfest THEN pumpkin beers.    *Checks Calendar* - Yes Oktoberfest traditionally starts in a few weeks - Halloween season starts a few weeks after that.  Plan your beer releases accordingly please!

I drink porters in the summer at kolsches in the winter. I welcome all beer styles and all times. Love lives here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kermit said:

Tank work is underway at NoDa. There were three of these tanks in the parking lot today along with the lift to move them around (third tank behind lift on right). 

They didn’t look new, not sure if it’s a rearrangement / cleaning or expansion.

DB593124-C1E9-4E75-AB26-ABAD4FBBCD66.jpeg

Sorry......those are our empties.

• Haha 3

I feel like I have one foot in the ‘beer should taste like beer’ bucket and the other in the ‘gimmie more of that juice box IPA’ bucket. 

Consistent with the latter, it appears that there are now TWO different SunDrop inspired beers being produced by two Cabarrus breweries. This stroke of genius may be the biggest beer innovation since yeast!  I am super excited and will make a trip this weekend.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article245629705.html

(In the beer flavored beer category I gotta say that NoDa Zuper Hero's was a pretty fantastic pils. I hope they find a way to put in regular rotation. After being distracted by fancy beer for a long while I also recently rediscovered how great Mexican lager is at the beach)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Jt282506 said:

They’re opening this weekend and held a soft open this past weekend. Nice little space and soliddddd beers 

The interior looked very interesting when I stopped by on Monday. Was hoping they would sell me some to-go beer for softball but they were hard at work setting up the taproom still. Definitely will stop by there this weekend. Im about burnt out on Heist Barrel Arts current offering. 

Anyone know when Free Range at CampNorthEnd is supposed to open?

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Petty Thieves brewery last night. Very impressed. They did a great job with the interior, adding a bunch of old looking woodwork and a bit of a gothic feel to the décor.  I had their nitro porter, lower on the end of ABV but it was a great beer.

The view off the patio is one of the best for breweries in town if you ask me!

Putting together a ‘beer care package’ for someone on the west coast that wants to get an impression of the beer scene in Charlotte and it’s had me trying to figure out what the perfect Charlotte Beer Six Pack would be. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

Putting together a ‘beer care package’ for someone on the west coast that wants to get an impression of the beer scene in Charlotte and it’s had me trying to figure out what the perfect Charlotte Beer Six Pack would be. Any thoughts?

Hop drop, jalapeno, good morning vietnam, juicy jay, and... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Hop drop, jalapeno, good morning vietnam, juicy jay, and... 

Copper? I much prefer a Munzlers and some people aren't as crazy for OMB but it's pretty quintessential Charlotte beer and Copper is carried in most restaurants with local drafts

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHart said:

Copper? I much prefer a Munzlers and some people aren't as crazy for OMB but it's pretty quintessential Charlotte beer and Copper is carried in most restaurants with local drafts

Copper is good on draft but always tastes skunked in the bottle. I actually think omb's porter is by far their best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

Copper is good on draft but always tastes skunked in the bottle. I actually think omb's porter is by far their best. 

I completely agree with both points, I prefer almost everything at OMB besides the Hornet's Nest to the Copper but I think it is their most popular by a wide margin. Either way something from OMB fits with the NoDa, Birdsong, Wooden Robot, & Legion as the strongest/most renowned Charlotte breweries

• Like 1

Wooden Robot - Good Morning Viet Nam

Birdsong - Mexicali Stout

NoDA - Gourdeous (since you can get it now)

OMB - Captain Jack

Legal Remedy - Pretty much anything

IPA - I'll leave this one blank just because I have to round out this list, and I hate IPA's - but want to be fair!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CLT> said:

Similar to what others have suggested, but with a few twists:

NoDa - Hop Drop n Roll

Legion - Juicy Jay

Wooden Robot - Good Morning Vietnam

Triple C - Up All Night Porter

OMB - Copper or Captain Jack

Heist - Citraquencial 

BTW - JRNYP2C you're the first person I've ever seen recommend 'just about anything from' Legal Remedy. Lol. Their food is always awesome though. 

EDIT: If you're going to include Fort Mill/Rock Hill, definitely get something from Amor Artis. Fort Millsner, Cruisin Down the Street, Sospresso Coffee blonde are all good choices. They do good sours as well if your friend is into that. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Wooden Robot - Good Morning Viet Nam

Birdsong - Mexicali Stout

NoDA - Gourdeous (since you can get it now)

OMB - Captain Jack

Legal Remedy - Pretty much anything

IPA - I'll leave this one blank just because I have to round out this list, and I hate IPA's - but want to be fair!

Mexicali usually drops on Halloween (it's my favorite birdsong beer)

• Like 2

If I wanted to showcase a mix of the best in town available right now:

Fonta Flora - Need a Hug (if this person is a good friend as it isn't cheap)

Divine Barrel - Moon Beams and Fairy Tales

Resident Culture - Dance Till Your Dead

Olde Meck - Mectoberfest

Heist - Blackberry Picken

Amor Artis - Frankies Farmhouse

• Like 2