Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

1 hour ago, NeverSummer said:

Has anyone else been watching the OMB train come off the rails? How shortsighted of them!

43 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

A simple apology from them would have went a long way.  But in typical OMB social media fashion...they are right, you are wrong, all hail Lord Merino for everything he does.   Their social media person must be up all day and night deleting negative comments (I know mine were). 

I plan to trademark the name MeckCovidFest :tw_joy:

It's a shame Merino's ego is going to ruin a decent brewery.  Zero concern for his employees or patrons, it's all about him.  I actually use to hit up OMB a few times a year at least, but will be avoiding them in the future.  Charlotte has way too many fantastic breweries without this type of bs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SoDoSoPa said:

It's a shame Merino's ego is going to ruin a decent brewery.  Zero concern for his employees or patrons, it's all about him.  I actually use to hit up OMB a few times a year at least, but will be avoiding them in the future.  Charlotte has way too many fantastic breweries without this type of bs.

I have to admit, and I remember seeing the quote here not too far in the past, but OMB is one of those places you take people from out of town to.  It isn't one of your local breweries that you go to each weekend.  I agree here that there are WAY too many other places to go to that are doing some pretty good beers that I prefer going to.  If they can't get their $hit together, then I'll stay away for the long haul.

• Like 1

The Great American Beer Festival announced its 2020 winners. Locally:

• Gold: NoDa, Gordgeous -- Best Pumpkin beer
  • Gold: Town Brewing, Cruise to Nowhere -- Contemporary Gose

(these were the only Gold Medals in NC)

• Silver: Lost Worlds Brewing, Emmer -- American Style Wheat
  • Silver: NoDa, Maibock -- Bock
  • Silver: Devil's Logic, Control Alt -- German Style Altbier
  • Silver: Triple C, Baby Maker -- Old/Strong/Barley Ale

Its a pretty epic performance by Charlotte breweries, 6 out of 11 NC medalist were Charlotte based (with NoDa winning a gold and silver)

Glad to see Town get some recognition, I have been consistently impressed with their beers. I'll also be sure to go to Devil's Logic and try the Altbier.

Is this Triple C's first serious award ever? Its been a while since I have had a beer there.

I searched the list by NC winners, there were none in the Triangle or Triad. Wicked Weed, Sierra Nevada, Duck Rabbit (Farmville) and Waterline (Wilmington) were the only other winners in the state.

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

image.png.59a89ddf6b98e5942b99a5c57ee9872a.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question for my beer experts: I am drinking Juicy Jay from a can at home. I pour to a glass and there are noticeable lees at the bottom of the glass. I recall none of these when I order JJ from a keg/draft at a restaurant. Nor have I seen from other locally produced and distributed beers, though my experience is limited. Do some/most/any beers have this experience?

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Question for my beer experts: I am drinking Juicy Jay from a can at home. I pour to a glass and there are noticeable lees at the bottom of the glass. I recall none of these when I order JJ from a keg/draft at a restaurant. Nor have I seen from other locally produced and distributed beers, though my experience is limited. Do some/most/any beers have this experience?

It doesn't matter how hazy the IPA is trying to be, you should not have visible stuff floating around in it.

JJ -- the most inconsistent beer in town.

Props to Sycamore for taking public health seriously and shutting down when things get too crowded. (although they really pack people in most weekends so I gotta wonder what it looked like this evening that finally made them close)

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article246530488.html

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:49 PM, kermit said:

The Great American Beer Festival announced its 2020 winners. Locally:

• Gold: NoDa, Gordgeous -- Best Pumpkin beer
  • Gold: Town Brewing, Cruise to Nowhere -- Contemporary Gose

(these were the only Gold Medals in NC)

• Silver: Lost Worlds Brewing, Emmer -- American Style Wheat
  • Silver: NoDa, Maibock -- Bock
  • Silver: Devil's Logic, Control Alt -- German Style Altbier
  • Silver: Triple C, Baby Maker -- Old/Strong/Barley Ale

Its a pretty epic performance by Charlotte breweries, 6 out of 11 NC medalist were Charlotte based (with NoDa winning a gold and silver)

Glad to see Town get some recognition, I have been consistently impressed with their beers. I'll also be sure to go to Devil's Logic and try the Altbier.

Is this Triple C's first serious award ever? Its been a while since I have had a beer there.

I searched the list by NC winners, there were none in the Triangle or Triad. Wicked Weed, Sierra Nevada, Duck Rabbit (Farmville) and Waterline (Wilmington) were the only other winners in the state.

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

image.png.59a89ddf6b98e5942b99a5c57ee9872a.png

That’s great for Town! I haven’t tried that gose, but it is now on my list.

Triple C definitely has won GABF awards in the past. They just don’t win them in the categories of what they commercially claim their beers to be.

A quick google shows:

• Zest-A -Peel American Pale Ale - Medal in English Style Summer Ale
  • Babymaker Double India Pale Ale - Medal in Old Ale/Barleywine
  • 3C India Pale Ale - Medal in Strong Pale Ale
  • There may be more?

Has NoDa won a gold for Gordgeous in the past?  I have been fatigued by pumpkin beer for a few seasons, but good for them!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kermit said:

It doesn't matter how hazy the IPA is trying to be, you should not have visible stuff floating around in it.

JJ -- the most inconsistent beer in town.

This is my second 4-pack with this artifact. Wine on lees is a French thing. Beer on lees is a known thing I first encountered in Québec beers. I have seen no local beers advertising or promoting or advising about lees. Taste is within range of expected for a local IPA. Lees are precipitate. 

On 10/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, tarhoosier said:

This is my second 4-pack with this artifact. Wine on lees is a French thing. Beer on lees is a known thing I first encountered in Québec beers. I have seen no local beers advertising or promoting or advising about lees. Taste is within range of expected for a local IPA. Lees are precipitate. 

You likely got some cans from the bottom of the bright tank.  Yeasties and hop residue can make it into finished product (helps with a good poo).  You rarely notice it in kegs because , like in the bright tanks, they all settle to the bottom and only a few last pours will get it and it had to be a keg filled from the bottom of the tank.   

^ I thought filtering happened between the bright tank and can? (Not an expert)

In other news....

Natty Green brewing in Greensboro has closed and is being liquidated in bankruptcy court. Natty Green came around at roughly the same time as OMB and I believe they were among the first breweries to bottle and distribute outside the Triad. I remember I thought their beers were ok, but that was in the early craft timeline so my standards were different then (I also really liked Jam Session back then). It also felt like their beers did not evolve much, so their products have felt much more  ‘blah’ to me over the past few years. To be fair, I mostly just drank their stuff at the occasional Grasshoppers game.

Bankruptcy does not include their restaurant  on Elm st, but they will no longer be serving any Natty Green’s beers at the 'brewpub'.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/20/natty-greenes-brewing-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy.html

Edited by kermit

56 minutes ago, kermit said:

In other news....

Natty Green brewing in Greensboro has closed and is being liquidated in bankruptcy court. Natty Green came around at roughly the same time as OMB and I believe they were among the first breweries to bottle and distribute outside the Triad. I remember I thought their beers were ok, but that was in the early craft timeline. It also felt like their beers did not evolve much, so their products have felt much more  ‘blah’ to me over the past few years (I generally just drank their stuff at Grasshoppers games).

Bankruptcy does not include their restaurant  on Elm st, but they will no longer be serving any Natty Green’s beers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/20/natty-greenes-brewing-files-chapter-7-bankruptcy.html

That's shocking. I definitely think of them as part of the North Carolina "Old Guard" of craft brewers (alongside foothills, highland, lone rider, etc) and enjoyed more than a few of their red ales. I guess if they built their model on distribution and got pushed off of too many grocery store shelves over time, that would do it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Mexicali is better than the Hot Pistol this year.  I know, different beers, but they're in the same family.  And y'all know I'm the biggest NoDa fanboi ever, but the Hoppy Holidays is a bit of a letdown this year.  Doesn't seem nearly as spruce-y (nor hoppy) as years past.  On the other hand, I LOVED Gordgeous this year.....seemed better than last year, which I liked just fine.  Hoping I can stumble onto some remaining stock somewhere.

• Like 4

I am impressed that the Camp Northend Free Range will have Leah and Louise food and I am super excited that they will encourage you to take your beer 'to go' into the rest of Camp Northend.

Only problem is I have never actually made it to their Villa Heights location, how is their beer?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/09/free-range-brewing-frb-opening-camp-north-end.html

32 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am impressed that the Camp Northend Free Range will have Leah and Louise food and I am super excited that they will encourage you to take your beer 'to go' into the rest of Camp Northend.

Only problem is I have never actually made it to their Villa Heights location, how is their beer?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/09/free-range-brewing-frb-opening-camp-north-end.html

I would say they focus on strange, and often spiced styles. They do a pretty good job, but the lineup is generally a bit out there - basically in the vein of fonta flora, but a smaller lineup (and not as good as FF). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wilmore said:

I would say they focus on strange, and often spiced styles. They do a pretty good job, but the lineup is generally a bit out there - basically in the vein of fonta flora, but a smaller lineup (and not as good as FF). 

The Cream of the Crop is a great cream ale and not what I would consider "out there" at all! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wilmore said:

Fonta Flora RARELY misses on a beer with their crazy ingredients.  Free Range on the other hand....well they aren't FF, nor even in the same stratosphere.   Free Range is very creative but I have tried a lot of misses.  Todd at Fonta Flora is a wizard of knowing what will taste great and how to brew it and has been for a very long time.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:01 PM, tarhoosier said:

Update: New 4 pack and first can displays no lees in my glass.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, grodney said:

Traust wants a $50 minimum order for delivery, at $18/4-pack.  Anybody had their stuff?  $4.5 a beer is cheaper than a taproom, but hurts in cans......especially if it's not good.  https://shop.traustbrewing.com/

Okay, so with no replies and/or recommendations on Traust.....of course I ordered some, hahahaha.  Will report back here.

In other news, did you see NoDa's calendar for next year?  Imperial Hop Drop.  Double Radio Haze.  Drop Dead Gordgeous.  Monstro.  All in cans!!!!  (And on tap.)  Also, OG Kolsch and Haze So-Low are both year-round now, which is nice.

33 minutes ago, grodney said:

Okay, so with no replies and/or recommendations on Traust.....of course I ordered some, hahahaha.  Will report back here.

Glad you are the guinea pig.  LOL.  I can't bring myself to pay $18 a four pack from a brewery I have never tried.  I have spent that amount many many times, however, it is almost always from a brewery I have had or one with a incredible reputation.  If they were open, did a flight and liked what I tried, sure (well maybe...price is still very high).  

• Like 1

THREE 4-packs at $18 to meet the $50 minimum for delivery, hahaha!  Plus driver tip.  But man, I've spent so little money since Mar 13.....hundreds just in Great Clips* and gas to the train haha.....and the breweries need my help.  At least that's how I'm justifying it.

*yes, I'm essentially bald, but I was still doing the Great Clips 000 Guard every 10ish days.....until the covid forced me into self clippering.  silver lining and all that.

So I ordered three 4-packs.....a hazy, an imperial hazy, and a mix pack which has those 2 plus a cream ale and an imperial pumpkin.  They show up at my door Saturday with a case of beer and say "yeah, our logistics is still working itself out and we ran out of hoppy beer before we could take it off our order site.....so here's half a case of cream ale and half a case of imperial pumpkin.....and we'll refund your whole order".  Okay.

The cream ale is fine.  Hoppy enough that you can tell yourself it's a pale or something.  I don't like pumpkin beers, generally, other than Gordgeous.  This one wasn't great....although I tried to convince myself it was Birdsong's St Tuber and it almost worked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grodney said:

So I ordered three 4-packs.....a hazy, an imperial hazy, and a mix pack which has those 2 plus a cream ale and an imperial pumpkin.  They show up at my door Saturday with a case of beer and say "yeah, our logistics is still working itself out and we ran out of hoppy beer before we could take it off our order site.....so here's half a case of cream ale and half a case of imperial pumpkin.....and we'll refund your whole order".  Okay.

The cream ale is fine.  Hoppy enough that you can tell yourself it's a pale or something.  I don't like pumpkin beers, generally, other than Gordgeous.  This one wasn't great....although I tried to convince myself it was Birdsong's St Tuber and it almost worked.

What a grandiose way of saying our overpriced homebrew kicked before we thought it would. I’m pretty sure they don’t have a proper brewery yet, right?