Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

16 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

What a grandiose way of saying our overpriced homebrew kicked before we thought it would. I’m pretty sure they don’t have a proper brewery yet, right? 

They have their system installed, don't have the taproom done yet.  You can see the tanks on their FB/insta pictures.  It's not a large system, 3bbl I think.

First time I have run into Gilde in the wild. This was the East blvd Teeter.  This feels really expensive to me for an old school German Pils (and certainly expensive relative to prices in Germany) but I guess its cheaper than a 4 pack of Copper?

As an aside, the local beer selection feels much thinner in this Teeter these days. Other than the usual Sycamore stuff the range of local beers seems narrower than in the past.

As a second aside, I did see some Resident Culture IPA (I forget which) cans in the uptown Whole Foods recently (for $18!)

F42ECED2-20C2-4FF5-A488-C420751AD4F4.jpeg

Edited by kermit

On 11/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, kermit said:

As a second aside, I did see some Resident Culture IPA (I forget which) cans in the uptown Whole Foods recently (for $18!)

Yes that is their normal price for a 4 pack of Hazy IPA's.  The Southpark Whole Foods has 4 different ones.  I have zero issue paying that (just did 30 minutes ago) because they have proven they are making the best hazys in the immediate region, and on par with Burial.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to try Gilde.  I found it at Noda Market and Deli of all places.  I actually thought it was pretty good and was happy with the purchase.  It isn't going to blow you away by any means but its a solid Pilsener and I think 9-10 bucks for a four pack of cans is about right.  

On 11/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, kermit said:

First time I have run into Gilde in the wild. This was the East blvd Teeter.  This feels really expensive to me for an old school German Pils (and certainly expensive relative to prices in Germany) but I guess its cheaper than a 4 pack of Copper?

As an aside, the local beer selection feels much thinner in this Teeter these days. Other than the usual Sycamore stuff the range of local beers seems narrower than in the past.

F42ECED2-20C2-4FF5-A488-C420751AD4F4.jpeg

Agree, that is expensive for a mass produced pilsener, though the draft I had at Waldheim was tasty. Maybe it will become cheaper once their production facilities open in the area.

• Like 1

Not strictly beer related, but JJ's is offering a "Sausagefest Grill Pack" in lieu of having their annual Sausagefest.  You get 4 varieties of sausages (2 each) and beans for $30 to take home and make for yourself.  The beer part is that they also offer a 4-pack of your choice for $12.....and they let me pick any 4 beers.......and they had about 40 laid out to choose from.  So that was nice to build my own 4-pack at $3/can....not bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Y'all have the new breakfast stout from NoDa?  It is VERY coffee-y.  And delicious.  The Monstro is excellent, as expected.  And the Imperial Hop Drop is fun, what with the hot rod on the can and that Hop Drop pedigree (and underlying flavor).....but honestly doesn't offer that much over any other super-IPA.  

The Monstro was $8/can (or 4/$30)....I believe it has been $10/can in the past.  Imp Hop Drop was $16/4-pack.  Oh, and Roaring Riot just went on sale yesterday for $5/4-pack!!  Sad that wasn't the case when I was there on Friday.

4 hours ago, grodney said:

Y'all have the new breakfast stout from NoDa?  It is VERY coffee-y.  And delicious.  The Monstro is excellent, as expected.  And the Imperial Hop Drop is fun, what with the hot rod on the can and that Hop Drop pedigree (and underlying flavor).....but honestly doesn't offer that much over any other super-IPA.  

The Monstro was $8/can (or 4/$30)....I believe it has been $10/can in the past.  Imp Hop Drop was $16/4-pack.  Oh, and Roaring Riot just went on sale yesterday for $5/4-pack!!  Sad that wasn't the case when I was there on Friday.

I had the breakfast stout and while the taste was definitely very coffee-y, I thought it was very thin and didn't buy a 4 pack.    I think the Monstro $8 price is a smart move.  Its good, but there is better BA beers on the shelf for less (Big Bad Baptist comes to mind).   Last years Monstro was available for a long long long time. 

On a related note, I had the Town Rakefire BBA stout last night...damn that was on point.  

Update on OMB's plans in North Meck: 

Olde Mecklenburg drafts plans for larger mixed-use project | Cornelius Today

Plans for a brewery and beer garden at the old Curtis Screw site near downtown Cornelius have grown into a larger mixed-use project with 398 apartments, 50 townhomes, retail and, of course, a brewery and beer garden.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Olde Meck "We will NEVER use a distributor because our beer needs to be delivered cold and fresh  by our employees and we will fight the NC general assembly to do so" signs agreement with current In-Bev distributor to distribute warm, old beer to NC.  LOLOL.  

http://www.beercharlotte.com/clt-beer-news-big-moves-for-gilde-omb/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I absolutely love our charlotte breweries and can't wait for the pandemic to be over to frequent them again, but the industry in my opinion has seemed to not care throughout the whole pandemic for the safety of the community. The county and state continue to believe that we shouldn't frequent parks but say nothing of the packed breweries on a daily basis. Wish the beer community would show a better example. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

I absolutely love our charlotte breweries and can't wait for the pandemic to be over to frequent them again, but the industry in my opinion has seemed to not care throughout the whole pandemic for the safety of the community. The county and state continue to believe that we shouldn't frequent parks but say nothing of the packed breweries on a daily basis. Wish the beer community would show a better example. 

I would not characterize all breweries in that light. I have immediately noped out of a few breweries in south end but for the most part they do a great job. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

I would not characterize all breweries in that light. I have immediately noped out of a few breweries in south end but for the most part they do a great job. 

No they are not all bad, but at this point they aren't essential. Even breweries that started off good have slowly started to just give up putting on the façade that they care. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Did a swing into SC almost a few weekends ago, Dust Off was a little busy when we got there, then emptied out to the point we were the only three there.  Then it slowly got busy again.  We decided to go to Model A on 160 behind the Walmart, and it was out of control packed!  No masks or social distancing to be seen.  And this is not a large place by any means.  We turned around and left.

As the weather got cooler, if we cannot sit outside (Petty Thieves), we do not go.  I will keep my local bottle shop in Cramerton in business though!  He buys local and national, so I have a good selection in the fridge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Not beer but I severed my relationship with Southern Spirits due to them having no customer mask policy. I hope everyone remembers who the bad guys were and puts them out of business. 

I even wrote them two times nicely asking them to do what's right for their staff and customers and they would not even reply. They're officially dead to me.

• Like 2

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article248673840.html?fbclid=IwAR2g_eOIPhd-STixlgVs3XE8SIzFj9_PnSpVPS8uPJBOp-k9SNtj_Q0N3H4

Traust Brewery is NOT actually brewing out of the location in Wesley Heights like we first thought.  They moved their brewing system into Thirsty Nomad's spot this summer (presumably a short term lease?) as it doesn't really sound like they have plans to open the tap room there and would still like to open in the Wesley Heights.  They way previous articles were written, it sounded like they were in the Wesley Heights location but just not ready to open the tap room yet.   Interesting.   Either way, the Thirsty Nomad location is pretty terrible and hopefully they are there just to perfect the beers before a final plan.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article248673840.html?fbclid=IwAR2g_eOIPhd-STixlgVs3XE8SIzFj9_PnSpVPS8uPJBOp-k9SNtj_Q0N3H4

Traust Brewery is NOT actually brewing out of the location in Wesley Heights like we first thought.  They moved their brewing system into Thirsty Nomad's spot this summer (presumably a short term lease?) as it doesn't really sound like they have plans to open the tap room there and would still like to open in the Wesley Heights.  They way previous articles were written, it sounded like they were in the Wesley Heights location but just not ready to open the tap room yet.   Interesting.   Either way, the Thirsty Nomad location is pretty terrible and hopefully they are there just to perfect the beers before a final plan.  

Thirsty Nomad's brewing room was not that big by any stretch.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...