Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

It’s a pale ale so 6 months tops. But it’s still a hoppy beer and 6 month old pale ale won’t taste like 2 month old pale ale.   IPA is 3 months. 

I was in a restaurant in Beaufort SC, the one in a re-purposed bank from early 1900's if you know the one. I ordered a local beer. It was from Charleston, good enough. I noticed from the label that it was well past the fresh serve date by the brewer. I showed this to the server. She said "Do you want it or not?" (Meaning the one I held in my hand.)

What would you reply to her?

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I was in a restaurant in Beaufort SC, the one in a re-purposed bank from early 1900's if you know the one. I ordered a local beer. It was from Charleston, good enough. I noticed from the label that it was well past the fresh serve date by the brewer. I showed this to the server. She said "Do you want it or not?" (Meaning the one I held in my hand.)

Um...... no.  I would have (as politely as possible) said, I'll take a look at what is on tap and don't charge me for this one.  I wouldn't go the full on "Karen" route and ask to talk to a manager unless she got really snippy.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 12:49 PM, tarhoosier said:

Depending on the beer.  Any hoppy beer I wouldn't drink past the expiration date in a bar.  I was the Bahamas over Christmas this year and saw some well expired Anchor Steam at 1/3 of regular price at the liquor store.  I figured its a lager, what the hell as the bohemian lagers are terrible and about $6/per bottle to go.   It tasted totally fine to me and bought a couple more later in the week.   But no way I am paying full bar prices for an expired hoppy beer.   

Edited by InSouthPark

Made a beerrun to Heist and NoDa yesterday.  The Hop Cakes is delicious, as always.  But I was really disappointed with the Court Shoes Only.  I don't know, maybe I just don't know what to expect in these double IPAs or especially double hazy IPAs.  I guess the "good" news is that I have a lot left to give it another shot.  On the Heist side, the Needs More Flair is smooth and delicious, just like every other Heist hazy.

15 hours ago, grodney said:

Made a beerrun to Heist and NoDa yesterday.  The Hop Cakes is delicious, as always.  But I was really disappointed with the Court Shoes Only.  I don't know, maybe I just don't know what to expect in these double IPAs or especially double hazy IPAs.  I guess the "good" news is that I have a lot left to give it another shot.  On the Heist side, the Needs More Flair is smooth and delicious, just like every other Heist hazy.

I had the same reaction to Court Shoes, it seems surprisingly blah (but not bad) for what it tries to be.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Was at Carolina Beer Temple in Ayrsley for the Dark Matters event and I was not disappointed!  They had some really great stouts, and the price was good - $15 for a seven glass flight.  We started out at CBT in Matthews, but it was woefully overcrowded (seemed more than 30 people inside), and with the rain and cold weather, there was really no point in standing around outside.  From what we were told, CBT in Matthews is going to reschedule an another week or two - mainly b/c of the weather.

Finally stopped into Seaboard for the first time and thought it was pretty good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grodney said:

Made the same run yesterday! NoDa's Court Shoes is okay, my friend recommended the Triple C, Pilot and Resident Culture versions more but still wanted to give it a try

And I agree, Hop Cakes is probably my favorite limited release beer

• Like 1

Hmmmm, a new year-round beer from NoDa.....a 4.5% lager available in 8-packs.  Also, we knew Haze So-Low (4.3%) was becoming year-round, but it will also be in 8-packs.  Nice!  Great beach beers.  Edit: Sorry for the massive pictures.  Please delete/lock/ban as appropriate.

lager.jpg

haze.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but Resident Culture is putting a second location in the ever booming Gold District of South End next to Unknown Brewing with a taproom, coffee and restaurant component focusing on Mexican Street Tacos -- sounds awesome! Glad to see them going here because it's much easier for me to get to than the OG location. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/03/05/resident-culture-expanding-to-south-end.html

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HopHead said:

Surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but Resident Culture is putting a second location in the ever booming Gold District of South End next to Unknown Brewing with a taproom, coffee and restaurant component focusing on Mexican Street Tacos -- sounds awesome! Glad to see them going here because it's much easier for me to get to than the OG location. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/03/05/resident-culture-expanding-to-south-end.html

The tacos are done in partnership with Chilito Tacos. They have been doing weekend pop ups at Resident Culture and other places around town for some time. They are excellent!! Definitely worth chcking out.

Ive also noticed NoDa Brewing regularly announcing expanding the territory they distribute too.  Most recently down to Myrtle Beach market. Glad to see them growing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should have known better than to grab this Town Brewing Hazy Double off the shelf at HT Ballantyne without checking the date.  As soon as I popped the tab, I knew the mistake I'd made.  12/22/2020.  Way overcarbonated.  Giant yeast cake in the bottom of the can.  So disappointing.

• Sad 2

On 3/19/2021 at 4:46 PM, grodney said:

I should have known better than to grab this Town Brewing Hazy Double off the shelf at HT Ballantyne without checking the date.  As soon as I popped the tab, I knew the mistake I'd made.  12/22/2020.  Way overcarbonated.  Giant yeast cake in the bottom of the can.  So disappointing.

Also, I grabbed two different Sugar Creek 4-packs....the white and the hazy.  Both were canned in early Jan, and both were fine.  So that was a relief.  (I'm sure purists think the hazy was too old, but it was okay for me. )  

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Let me rephrase this: OMG OMG OMG BURIAL!

This looks like it is going into the old Boris Natasha site.  Looks like a ton of work to be done but this will be awesome.  - Side note - they must be flush with cash.  They just purchased a new location on the South Slope in Asheville for their new home just a week or so ago.

I'm so glad they are going to be here in Charlotte!  Their existing place in Asheville is quite unique.  I hope they keep that open just as a taproom.  The old hangar type building is quite iconic!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I'm so glad they are going to be here in Charlotte!  Their existing place in Asheville is quite unique.  I hope they keep that open just as a taproom.  The old hangar type building is quite iconic!

They own their old location so I would assume it stays open in some capacity.  If I were a betting man, the new location will have a much larger inside space and a full kitchen while keeping the old location as the "outdoor" venue.   The old location is a great spot when the weather is nice, but when you need to be inside, its basically a no-go for me. 

Fun fact:  I was in the "original" location a month or so after it opened.  It was a small L shaped bar with 8 barstools....that's it.  My beer buddy and I walked in and had a farmhouse coffee saison (known as Thresher now) and were blown away and knew these guys were going to do well.  They slowly took over more and more space in the building to what they are today.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

Got the details on their new location in Asheville...it is building directly next to the current location, 10 Buxton Ave (formerly the Asheville Hardware, directly next to Urban Orchard).  They bought it for $2.2m.  It definitely looks like the old location will stay, if nothing more than for the outdoor space.  11,369sf  for the new space.  The current spot is maybe a Frankenstein 4000sf.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Got the details on their new location in Asheville...it is building directly next to the current location, 10 Buxton Ave (formerly the Asheville Hardware, directly next to Urban Orchard).  They bought it for $2.2m.  It definitely looks like the old location will stay, if nothing more than for the outdoor space.  11,369sf  for the new space.  The current spot is maybe a Frankenstein 4000sf.

That is awesome!  Thanks for the info!  I was just talking with some friends the other weekend and saying we needed to schedule an "Asheville Weekend" where we can pub crawl to as many places as we can do!  This is DEFINITELY on the list!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, sakami said:

I saw a post on FB today by someone on behalf of the new D9 Brewing a uptown location. She was trying to book food trucks starting in May so they must be getting really close to opening. 

I went there yesterday.  It's a pretty small space, which makes sense given that they will soon have the outdoor location open.