Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is named one of the top 10 Best Beer cities in the USA  by USA Today   Asheville comes in at #3 

Best Beer City Winners (2021) | USA TODAY 10Best

While its nice to see us on the list, its sort of a weird list.  Atlanta above Charlotte?  Not if we are taking into account the size of the cities.  San Diego not even on the list? OK.  I have been to Grand Rapids many many times and been to every brewery thru the end of 2019, and while it hits well above its weight for a city of its size, it's scene isn't as good as Asheville and its twice the size of Asheville.    And while I have never been to Indy, I can't for the life of me see how they rank higher than Denver.   No one every said, hey lets go to Indy for a beercation.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

While its nice to see us on the list, its sort of a weird list.  

"

A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.

"

All it takes is the Indianapolis Agenda or whatever to have some article about Indy being in the running for Best Beer City and a link for all readers to go vote.  Or some such similar social media campaign.
Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

off topic but major winery investment could be coming to Chester County SC just down 77 from Charlotte.

E & J Gallo Winery, the nation's largest winemaker, is targeting Chester County to establish an East Coast hub for the California-based business. The project calls for $400 million in investment and around 500 new jobs, company leaders have said. The winemaker also wants to open satellite tasting rooms in South Carolina, which requires changes to the state's alcohol laws.

Hurdles remain in E & J Gallo Winery's plans for $400M project in Chester County - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

When the covid hit, I lost interest in the Charlotte brewery scene (and, well, everything else).  So I'm looking to update my list/map with everything that's happened since Feb 2020.

Can you all help?

Did Cavendish ever open that taproom or whatever in Plaza Mid?

Traust isn't open physically yet, right?  Can't find any sign they are.

What is Sunstead these days, if anything?

Did Suffolk Punch ever start actually physically brewing at Noble Smoke?

Thanks!

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, grodney said:

When the covid hit, I lost interest in the Charlotte brewery scene (and, well, everything else). 

Me too

Sunstead (now Salty Parrot, ugh)  is still a brewery, but they sell  the worst IPA I have ever tasted (two weeks ago).

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, grodney said:

When the covid hit, I lost interest in the Charlotte brewery scene (and, well, everything else).  So I'm looking to update my list/map with everything that's happened since Feb 2020.

Can you all help?

Thanks!

Cavendish - No.  That never got past the bumbling around with duplicate ABC Licenses.

Traust - I thought it was open.  I can check with friends that have mentioned it.

Sunstead is now Salty Parrott.  I have not been to this new iteration of the location just yet.  Friends of mine have gone and like it.

Don't have info on Suffolk Punch.  Was there just once a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, KJHburg said:

off topic but major winery investment could be coming to Chester County SC just down 77 from Charlotte.

E & J Gallo Winery, the nation's largest winemaker, is targeting Chester County to establish an East Coast hub for the California-based business. The project calls for $400 million in investment and around 500 new jobs, company leaders have said. The winemaker also wants to open satellite tasting rooms in South Carolina, which requires changes to the state's alcohol laws.

Hurdles remain in E & J Gallo Winery's plans for $400M project in Chester County - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I know they won't grow there but I wish they would just for fun, I'd be excited to see what kind of junk trash wine grows from flat, hot, clay soil.

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Has anyone been to the seltzery? Was wondering if it was good

I went when it first opened and it was way worse and a good bit more expensive than any selzer you could buy in the grocery store.  Went a few weeks ago and it was substantially better.   I'm not a big selzer drinker but my wife was pretty impressed with it.

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ on Gilde construction: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/05/11/gilde-talks-plans-for-lower-south-end.html

image.png.75b2c6c0be30204575a631bbef31e6ce.png

Opening in "Fall" (later specified as "mid-October")

Plans call for The Embassy at Gilde Brewery to offer a 5,450-square-foot indoor bier haus and a 2,500-square-foot outdoor bier garten at 3530 Dewitt Lane.

Plus, shots fired at OMB, and the food sounds honestly exciting.

“We’ve been watching Charlotte’s beer scene grow and thrive for almost a decade now, and we’d be remiss if we didn’t introduce an authentic German beer to Charlotte’s lineup,” says Karsten Uhlmann, CEO of Gilde.

Expect The Embassy to offer six staple German beers, including Pilsener, Lellerbier, Urbock, Red Rooster, Lemon Radler and Pale Wheat. Plans are to brew on site according to German Purity Law — using only water, hops and barley — and to experiment with American craft-beer styles as well.

Two Michelin Star chef Stefan Hermann will lead Gilde Brewery’s culinary program. The menu will feature German cuisine amplified by regional and seasonal flavors.

EDIT: here is the non-paywalled Agenda version of the press release: https://charlotte.axios.com/256217/huge-german-brewer-buys-loso-property/

Just a taproom (5,000 barrel system) for now. The production facility is TBD (does not sound like it will happen soon)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, grodney said:

Can you all help?

Thanks!

Traust is brewing at the old Thirsty Nomad location.  However, there is no taproom.  They are just selling the beer to local venues.  From what my friends that have tasted it say - Meh.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Plus, shots fired at OMB, and the food sounds honestly exciting.

Not really sure that is shots fired.  They are bringing century old recipes and yeast and a brewmaster from Germany.   Marrino was a water engineer or something with no brewing experience that lived in Germany for a bit and wanted to start his own brewery...that isn't  exactly "authentic" German beer.  Just because you follow Reinheitsgebot, doesn't mean it's authentic German.  It's a US guys version of a german beers.  Heck even when Sierra Nevada did their yearly collaborations with a German brewery for their oktoberfest, all the Germans brought their top secret yeast with them. 

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

some of y'all should do this the great Charlotte Beer bracket for the best beer 

Charlotte Magazine's Beer Bracket - Charlotte Magazine

I typically hate these brackets but at least that is broken out well.  But to have a "best of" bracket and not have Resident Culture or High Branch on the list for IPA's is a big LOL.  They are the Piedmont's top rated IPA producers which people travel to from outside the region.  But yeah, throw Suffork Punch IPA on the list....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Two local beers I've been enjoying in cans lately......both from Legion.  Next Chapter is a New England IPA.  I like it.  Better than Juicy Jay.  Just check the date before buying, as I've seen some old ones out there.  The other is Flicker Daze.  This is an American Wheat.  Back in the old days, like late 90s, before craft beer was everywhere, there was Boulevard Beer in Kansas City.  They made an American Wheat that was light and refreshing.....often served with a slice of lemon.  Flicker Daze takes me back to that.  Obviously won't be a favorite for everyone.  It's a little watery.  But I liked it enough to buy a 2nd 4-pack for these hot summer days.  If I like this 4-pack as much, I'll seek it out for upcoming beach trips.

Bought Double Radio Haze this morning.....but haven't cracked one open yet.....it's only 9:30am, hahahaha.

• Like 2

One beer that I've been really digging lately is The Great Beauty from Resident Culture. It's a really good West Coast style IPA. I enjoy the Hazy IPAs, but not as much as I did even a year ago. Everyone does them and usually has 3-4 on tap any time you go to their brewery. West Coast styles seem much harder to find these days... Hop Drop n Roll is still my go to.  All that being said, I need to get my hands on Double Radio Haze :)

• Like 1

Went to Vaulted Oak last night to check it out.  I started with the Spare Change, which is a lighter saison, and I thought it was fantastic.  I'd give that beer an A-.  Next I went to the C-Note IPA which I thought was just okay, probably a C-.  I also tried my wife's Sister Polly Pale Ale which I thought was a solid B+, and the Pineapple Gose which I thought was a B-.  Overall, I thought the space was cool and the beer was above average.  I was pretty pleased that they are trying to mix it up and had a good variety.  I'm excited to go back and try some more stuff, hopefully their beer only gets better with time.

It was also PACKED, and I'm thinking they may have some issues with parking since there are few folks who will be able to walk there due to the location.

• Like 3