Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 6/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, grodney said:

Traust is still alive, they are "working hard to find another taproom space!"

Source: Facebook DM

Yeah they been out of the running on the Thrift Rd site now for a while now and just brewing up at the old Thirsty Nomad spot...which I am sure they see as NOT a viable option for a taproom) .   The Thrift spot will be a good spot for someone (whoever Midnight Mulligan is) and I predict that area will be a "startup" brewery district for those that don't have the capital yet to get a good spot in SouthEnd or Noda. 

6 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Unknown Brewery closing up shop shortly.  Doesn't come as a big surprise.  Looks like HopFly will take their place while Unknown tries to go national with their ginger beer.

Wow.

I went in to the taproom a couple of times just after they opened and got Over the Edge on tap at a couple of places around town. But despite them being nearby they were a non-entity to me for most of their existence — I was never able to fall in love with the tap room vibe or the beer. I hope HopFly fits in the space well, I’ll be eager to try their stuff. It is a huge space and it needs to be a useful node for the Gold District.

It didn't register before now but it does seem like I have seen much less of their beer in normal distribution outlets.

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

It didn't register before now but it does seem like I have seen much less of their beer in normal distribution outlets.

Part of that is due to the "deal with the devil" they signed when they opened.  They had a distributor agreement already in place before they even opened.  When that happens, they (distributor) are responsible for everything.  They don't get to decide who/what/where their product goes.  If the distributor had other hot brands to sell, yours went to the back of the truck.  

That said, Unknown really never found their groove in the taproom.  The new remodel is worlds better than the original but by then, most people had already made up their mind.  I haven't heard of HopFly, but I have seen their cans around at some of the bottle shops.  After a quick untappd search, they appear to be killing it out in Rocky Mount. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's obvious they're on the way out because of the coin shortage. I don't know why they wouldn't just come out and say it.

They did have a couple cash only nights for their anniversaries.  Probably didn't want to have to deal with that again and just closing up shop.  Plus I am sure paying employees was a bummer. 

On 6/12/2021 at 11:00 AM, DCtransplant said:

Looks like the Scandinavian brewery is no more. Now Midnight Mulligan brewing https://www.midnightmulligan.com/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

From the Agenda article, Midnight Mulligan is being started by the lead brewer at Birdsong, Jeff Bowman (not Conor Robinson the Head Brewer).  "West Coast" brewery with elevated food options.  He has been brewing at Birdsong for 7 years so he comes with a lot of experience and I would expect good beer right out of the gate.  

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, grodney said:

Two local beers I've been enjoying in cans lately......both from Legion.  Next Chapter is a New England IPA.  I like it.

I picked up a couple of four packs for my beach trip. It’s great! Might be my new fav local  IPA. Thanks! 

• Like 1

OMB is heading out of the county to Mt Holly along the river.  This location could be very nice.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery founder talks Mount Holly plans - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery has plans for a third location in the Charlotte market. The longtime Charlotte brewery is pursuing approval of a development agreement and sales contract involving a site at 725 Elm St. in Mount Holly — formerly a water treatment plant.  “What we want to do is put a couple of these around the Charlotte region to serve different parts of town,” says OMB founder John Marrino.  A public hearing on the redevelopment is scheduled July 12, and a vote for approval is possible that day.  “It’s still not a done deal yet,” he says.  OMB’s plans fits with Mount Holly’s goals for the site, says Miles Braswell, city manager. The city put out a request for proposals seeking a restaurant or brewery to redevelop that 2.06-acre parcel, which is in walking distance to downtown as well as to the greenway.""

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

OMB is heading out of the county to Mt Holly along the river.  This location could be very nice.

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery founder talks Mount Holly plans - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery has plans for a third location in the Charlotte market. The longtime Charlotte brewery is pursuing approval of a development agreement and sales contract involving a site at 725 Elm St. in Mount Holly — formerly a water treatment plant.  “What we want to do is put a couple of these around the Charlotte region to serve different parts of town,” says OMB founder John Marrino.  A public hearing on the redevelopment is scheduled July 12, and a vote for approval is possible that day.  “It’s still not a done deal yet,” he says.  OMB’s plans fits with Mount Holly’s goals for the site, says Miles Braswell, city manager. The city put out a request for proposals seeking a restaurant or brewery to redevelop that 2.06-acre parcel, which is in walking distance to downtown as well as to the greenway.""

But but but...I thought COVID and the democratic NC/CLT leaders were ruining his business?!?!   $4.3m project, on top of the Cornelius expansion...seems he was doing ok after all. 

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

But but but...I thought COVID and the democratic NC/CLT leaders were ruining his business?!?!   $4.3m project, on top of the Cornelius expansion...seems he was doing ok after all. 

So what were all the tears about on the news? 

1 hour ago, NeverSummer said:

So what were all the tears about on the news? 

He is a public Republican Trump supporter.  He went on the news to blame our governor and our mayor and city council during an election year.  Who just happened to be Democrats.  Draw your own conclusions.   But at least we will always have Meckcovidfest!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:00 PM, KJHburg said:

This news was released a few hours after this news hit:

https://www.gastongazette.com/story/news/2021/06/25/brewpub-coming-former-mount-holly-fire-station/5325112001/

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/06/29/cbj-morning-buzz-firehawk-brewpub-mount-holly.html

There's another brewery in the works for the region, this time just across the Catawba River from Charlotte in Gaston County. The Gaston Gazette reports Firehawk Brewpub will be the first known brewery in Mount Holly.

Longtime restaurateur Scott Blackwood is behind that venture, which is converting an old fire station at 309 N. Main St. in Mount Holly, according to the newspaper. It will dish up Southern fare in a waterfront setting along Dutchman's Creek.

Mt. Holly coming in with 2 brewery announcements the same day. Cool part is they're both on the same greenway/blueway.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, InSouthPark said:

He is a public Republican Trump supporter.  He went on the news to blame our governor and our mayor and city council during an election year.  Who just happened to be Democrats.  Draw your own conclusions.   But at least we will always have Meckcovidfest!

Thank you for the information.  I was not fully aware of the this scope of OMB's owner.  I am going to think twice about frequenting that establishment, or the new one in Mt. Holly.

14 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

Thank you for the information.  I was not fully aware of the this scope of OMB's owner.  I am going to think twice about frequenting that establishment, or the new one in Mt. Holly.

Its no secret what I think of OMB ownership and management.  I do think they make good beer and the food is pretty decent for a brewery.  But from interactions with Marrino (back when he was behind the bar daily at the original location), to his billboards in town "Just because it's local, doesn't mean its good", to his smug TV interviews, his "I will ALWAYS self distribute" campaign (only to sign with a distributor this year), to his not allowing Catawba Brewing into the Charlotte Independent Brewers association because their main brewery was Morganton,  to his "aww poor me not making any more money due to Covid...also I just started two new multi-million dollar expansion projects so yay!", to their Meckcovidfest and the response.    A PR firm would have done them some good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Its no secret what I think of OMB ownership and management.  I do think they make good beer and the food is pretty decent for a brewery.  But from interactions with Marrino (back when he was behind the bar daily at the original location), to his billboards in town "Just because it's local, doesn't mean its good", to his smug TV interviews, his "I will ALWAYS self distribute" campaign (only to sign with a distributor this year), to his not allowing Catawba Brewing into the Charlotte Independent Brewers association because their main brewery was Morganton,  to his "aww poor me not making any more money due to Covid...also I just started two new multi-million dollar expansion projects so yay!", to their Meckcovidfest and the response.    A PR firm would have done them some good. 

To I will NEVER put my beer in cans... Can't wait to see what Gilde puts out here because I honestly love almost everything OMB makes, but he makes it impossible for me to want to support them. The Noda Maibock is fantastic, but I struggle finding decent German lagers/pilsners/bocks from any of my other local favorites. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JHart said:

To I will NEVER put my beer in cans... Can't wait to see what Gilde puts out here because I honestly love almost everything OMB makes, but he makes it impossible for me to want to support them. The Noda Maibock is fantastic, but I struggle finding decent German lagers/pilsners/bocks from any of my other local favorites. 

Have you tried Triple C's Bier?  I like that pilsner better than Capt Jack.

Damn...now I having flashbacks to the time I was in Prague and got to have Pilsner Urquell straight from a tank.  Best beer I had in Europe and best lager I have ever had. 

https://www.pilsnerurquell.com/stories/why-tank-beer-tastes-perfect/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Have you tried Triple C's Bier?  I like that pilsner better than Capt Jack.

No I need to make a trip. Unfortunately I only see Golden Boy and Baby Maker in stores. Also love me some Pilsner Urquell, tastes even better in one of their park beer gardens :)

46 minutes ago, JHart said:

I didn't know about the can thing. I pretty much only buy cans in the store anymore, so I guess that explains why I haven't had any OMB in a long time :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I didn't know about the can thing. I pretty much only buy cans in the store anymore, so I guess that explains why I haven't had any OMB in a long time :rolleyes:

They do both.  But for year and years he said he would never can beers because of BPA is a contaminant in the liners. BPA has been replaced by BPS and BPF which is still a contaminant but less harmful than BPA.  Now they can beers. 

“OMB’s main concern with aluminum cans is that their use guarantees a violation of our commitment to the Reinheitsgebot,” says OMB’s founder, John Marrino, speaking of the German beer purity law that states only hops, malt, water, and yeast go in beer. “We simply don’t want to use a package that we know will introduce a contaminant into the beer. It’s a matter of principle.”

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I must have been living under a rock!  I vaguely remember the billboards, but the rest - it's all news to me.  Overall, when I have patronized local restaurants, if there is OMB on the menu, I'm passing by - solely b/c I have already tasted everything they have.  I am always looking for new beers.  Agree with the PR firm and keeping things in check.  Charlotte is not that big of a market where you have a one-stop-shop with OMB.  We have MANY other options - not just German Biergartens (of late).  And I agree that I'm anxious to see what Gilde has to offer with regards to competition.

Appreciate the additional feedback.  As much as I want to promote and support local businesses, this one may be too big for their own britches, and toss in an overabundance of attitude (political or not), I think I'm going to pass on OMB moving forward.