Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

NoDa’s out of market distributor has kicked it up a notch. This is the first summer I have seen NoDa cans in the Surf City area (this is just about as far from civilization as you can get on the NC coast). Hop Drop, Radio Haze and Coco loco are at the Teeter and even the WalMart neighborhood market. 

• Like 1

Old news, but I never saw the article before today.  About Legion expansion.  I still stand by my assumption that he has big money backers looking to grow with the intent to sell. Spending $15million to build out a 100k barrel/yr brewhouse when they currently do 7k/yr is nutso.  Heck, they just now actually got fridge space at my Teeter.   Not that I would fault him if that is his plan...it's all our dreams to retire wealthy.  

https://qcnerve.com/legion-brewing-expansion/?fbclid=IwAR2FpiORvcbu03Isn_NRiwCcizVKdVWrHZ90dnFnATr9LFnfuCHzIcjo18w

“We’re not expanding just for the sake of expanding,” Buchy continued. “Good opportunities were offered to us and we couldn’t say no to them.” He expects it will take years to grow into the 15-times capacity increase.

• Like 2

On my way to the coast I made a detour to Holpfly (they purchased the Unknown brand)  in Rocky Mount. The taproom was nice, but much smaller than I expected. They reside in the Rocky Mount brewery incubator at the recently refurbed mill. Since I  needed to get to Pender county before dark I was limited to can beer. I picked up a couple of four packs, the  “beach beer” (summer session IPA), the second was the “Summer Crush IPA” (yea, I lack beer imagination). 

Now that I have had a couple from both four-packs, I gotta say I have been VERY impressed with both. Both styles were well balanced, hoppy and not bitter (after-tasty) at all (Sorry I know nothing about describing flavors).  These beers are easily top 10% of IPAs I have had anywhere. These are certainly the peer of NoDa (Hop Drop) and Wooden Robot (What He’s Having).

I am genuinely looking forward to their Charlotte presence. Based on tonight’s 4-packs, they are very likely to become my favorite Southend brewery.

• Like 1

For any of you IPA geeks like me, Resident Culture is hosting a tap takeover of Outer Range (Denver, CO) beers on Saturday. Door open at noon. They did some collabs with them as well. Definitely worth checking out. Yours truly will be there of course :)

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grodney said:

bold.jpg

Based on their Untappd, they are closer to Resident Culture than Noda or Wooden Robot.  I think once HopFly gets up and running here, they will be an instant hit at that location....but it might take a while to get that system dialed in.  It's way bigger than what they are brewing on in Rocky Mount (10bbl vs 30bbl). 

13 minutes ago, HopHead said:

For any of you IPA geeks like me, Resident Culture is hosting a tap takeover of Outer Range (Denver, CO) beers on Saturday. Door open at noon. They did some collabs with them as well. Definitely worth checking out. Yours truly will be there of course :)

Of course I have out of town guest this weekend and the only styles of beer they don't like...IPA's. LOL. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grodney said:

bold.jpg

It was, and I’ll admit I was on my 4th when I typed it. Having said that, I have had a lot more than 100 IPA’s over the years, so their is a good bit of room in my top decile — unlike Vincent’s (and Mia’s) choco, an IPA does not need to be from the Harz Mountains in Germany to be considered the “madman.”

Here on the day after, I stand by my bold statement.

[it did just occur to me that the other beer in the beach fridge at the moment is a regifted Costco variety pack. I can’t even drink the IPA, but the Pilz is OK in an emergency]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

CBJ (via the Ledger)reports that NoDa will add a 16,000 sqft storage building at their N Tryon site. This will allow for the current storage space to be used for events. They also plan to expand parking and the patio / Beer garden.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/08/04/cbj-morning-buzz-noda-brewing-expansion.html

Roughly 4,500 square feet of current cold storage space will be freed up for event space and the existing beer garden will grow in size by about 30%. The parking lot will be paved, with about 70 new spots added and an entrance off 32nd Street, Ford says.

Sales are ahead of pre-Covid levels by about 20%. NoDa expects to brew 20,000 barrels this year.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jt282506 said:

Trolley barn is open. Beers will cycle quickly but what they have for starters is....fine. does the job. food is solid. space is incredible

Legion lost so much more than an brewer when Alexa left in 2019.  Their "innovation" is no where what it used to be.  Almost all of their highest rated beers were created years ago.  I have had so many "ehh" one off beers at Southpark.  I never had anything bad, but rarely have something that gets me really excited anymore, minus a few sours.  They seem committed to the core beers and the one-offs seem to be an afterthought.  Hopefully the Trolley Barn jumpstarts that innovation that used to have when it was just the OG location. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kermit said:

Today is a sad day:

I saw the first batch of pumpkin beers being wheeled into JJ’s.

(I really hate pumpkin!)

They release Pumking last week when it was 98 degrees out.  I am for "willing Fall"...but come on...wait until later in August please when fall is at least in sight!  

I like all the pumpkin beers and lattes but in due time.  The seasonal creep is stooopid.  I mean I haven't even seen Oktoberfest out in full force yet and that "starts" Sept 17th.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTRyjvLADnI/

Interesting news regarding Unknown Brewing.  They are going to continue brewing but in a whole new way.  CBV (Community Brewing Ventures) is sort of a contract brewery started by D9.   They do all the "other stuff" while the brewers just brew.   It's up in Newton. 

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

There is no end when you Live Without Boundaries. We may have closed our taproom, but we have a new home at the CBV Brewery & Taproom, and the fun is just beginning.

The folks at CBV know just how much we love what we do, whether it's making crazy new beers, being on the cutting edge of the industry, or connecting with our amazing fans. When they heard we were going to be closing up shop, they knew that they had a way to not only keep the brand alive, but growing and innovating.

So we aren't going anywhere. You'll still be able to find your favorite Unknown beers at all of your favorite spots, and our new home in Newton. Keep an eye out for new concoctions, too, straight from Brad's wild imagination.
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTRyjvLADnI/

Interesting news regarding Unknown Brewing.  They are going to continue brewing but in a whole new way.  CBV (Community Brewing Ventures) is sort of a contract brewery started by D9.   They do all the "other stuff" while the brewers just brew.   It's up in Newton. 

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

There is no end when you Live Without Boundaries. We may have closed our taproom, but we have a new home at the CBV Brewery & Taproom, and the fun is just beginning.

The folks at CBV know just how much we love what we do, whether it's making crazy new beers, being on the cutting edge of the industry, or connecting with our amazing fans. When they heard we were going to be closing up shop, they knew that they had a way to not only keep the brand alive, but growing and innovating.

So we aren't going anywhere. You'll still be able to find your favorite Unknown beers at all of your favorite spots, and our new home in Newton. Keep an eye out for new concoctions, too, straight from Brad's wild imagination.

Has anyone been to the CBV taproom in Newton? Do they have everything on tap or is it just canned? Seems odd they don't open one in Charlotte especially with as many brands as they have now.

15 hours ago, CLT> said:

Has anyone been to the CBV taproom in Newton? Do they have everything on tap or is it just canned? Seems odd they don't open one in Charlotte especially with as many brands as they have now.

I am guessing warehouse space costs pennies on the dollar in Newton vs here.  Haven't been (nor heard of them before) but I crept on their untappd page and it shows 19 drafts.  D9 also opened a tap room in Henderson so it seems they are trying to expand their "footprint/name recognition" around the state. 

I don't have any idea about how 'real' this competition is but I just got an email from the NC Craft Brewers Guild which contained the following announcement:

In 2021, NC Brewery of the Year and NC New Brewery of the Year both were awarded to Lower Left Brewing Company.  This Charlotte brewery, who is currently making plans for their two-year anniversary celebration, swept the competition winning 3 first place gold medals and 1 second place silver medals in the style categories.

I have been trying to get there for ages, but haven't been yet. They won quite a few medals (APA, Fruit and Spice and Smoked gold medals and a silver for their Hazy IPA)

Other local winners:

Divine Barrel, Silver for their American Lager (Divine Barrel has a Lager?)

also Gold for The Big Lubelski (Historical Beer?)

Blue Blaze, Bronze for their Altbier

NoDa Bronze for Lager Days (international pale lager)

Protagonist, Gold for Queen Charlotte (German Pils)

Pilot, Gold for Maibock (Malty Euro Lager)

Olde Meck, Bronze, Mecktoberfest

Legion, Bronze, Slainte (Stout)

Free Range, Silver, You Knowl What Makes Me Feel Good (Double IPA)

Town, Gold, Barrel Aged Varsity (Wood-Aged Beer)

I probably overlooked a few (particularly in N Meck) and left out some adjacent county breweries (Cabarrus Brewing and Southern Strain appeared to do well)

https://www.ncbeer.org/docs/FINAL_-_2021_Brewers_Cup_Winners_-_bos.pdf

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

I don't have any idea about how 'real' this competition is but I just got an email from the NC Craft Brewers Guild which contained the following announcement:

I have been trying to get there for ages, but haven't been yet. They won quite a few medals (APA, Fruit and Spice and Smoked gold medals and a silver for their Hazy IPA)

Other local winners:

Divine Barrel, Silver for their American Lager (Divine Barrel has a Lager?)

also Gold for The Big Lubelski (Historical Beer?)

Blue Blaze, Bronze for their Altbier

NoDa Bronze for Lager Days (international pale lager)

Protagonist, Gold for Queen Charlotte (German Pils)

Pilot, Gold for Maibock (Malty Euro Lager)

Olde Meck, Bronze, Mecktoberfest

Legion, Bronze, Slainte (Stout)

Free Range, Silver, You Knowl What Makes Me Feel Good (Double IPA)

Town, Gold, Barrel Aged Varsity (Wood-Aged Beer)

I probably overlooked a few (particularly in N Meck) and left out some adjacent county breweries (Cabarrus Brewing and Southern Strain appeared to do well)

https://www.ncbeer.org/docs/FINAL_-_2021_Brewers_Cup_Winners_-_bos.pdf

Lower Left is a throwback to what breweries were when they first started in Charlotte: small, friendly, relaxed. You don’t go here to impress your buddies. You go to have a good beer and chill. Their “Three Hour Tour” is legit.  I find myself there when I drive down Southside Dr and there isn’t a parking spot to be had and I’m totally fine with that. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Lower Left is a throwback to what breweries were when they first started in Charlotte: small, friendly, relaxed. You don’t go here to impress your buddies. You go to have a good beer and chill. Their “Three Hour Tour” is legit.  I find myself there when I drive down Southside Dr and there isn’t a parking spot to be had and I’m totally fine with that. 

I probably posted it here when I went there, but it definitely gave me an "original Birdsong" vibe......which is great.  That must have been about Dec 2019, just before the sky fell.  Would love to go back someday.  Glad they're (apparently) doing well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall seeing Granite Falls locally, but my bro-in-law says he's bought it in Charlotte.  Stopped and bought cans at the brewery yesterday.  The Hoppalacia IPA is pretty damn good....a weird cross between west cost and hazy.  Had the Scottish (9.0%) as a knock-out blow last night.  Great flavor but maybe a touch watery?  Not my favorite style so don't put too much stock in my review.  The brewery had a ton of space and was amazingly empty at 3pm on a Saturday.  They have skeeball and pool and other arcade games in their brewing area.  Absolutely nobody on the patio, so maybe we should have stayed for a pint.  Eh, maybe when the Delta fades a bit.  I was the ONLY one in the place in a mask, including all workers......it's 2019 in Granite Falls!  Anyway, only 3.0 miles off 321, seems like a great stop with a daughter at App!

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:10 AM, grodney said:

I was the ONLY one in the place in a mask, including all workers......it's 2019 in Granite Falls! 

Granite Falls isn't under a mask mandate...that's exactly what we looked like 5 weeks ago.   Anyways, they make some good bottles of barrel age sours that pop up from time to time here if that's your thing.