Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

3 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

They are quietly growing the brand all over.  I was in Louisville two weeks ago and saw they had a taproom over in the "hip" part of town.  Long way from Ashevegas! 

• Thanks 1

Weathered Souls opening tap room in Charlotte:  https://charlotte.axios.com/275539/scoop-black-is-beautiful-creator-to-open-charlotte-brewery-and-incubator/

Now this one is surprising.  One of the top breweries in San Antonio, and known for starting the "Black is Beautiful" collaboration stout, is opening a satellite brewery and tap room in SouthEnd.   I think it will be safe to say that by the end of 2022, we will officially be a "beer mecca" and start entering the conversations of best beer cities.   The Burial Taproom (world class), HopFly (already highly regarded), and Weathered Souls all are adding big, already established names to an impressive list of locals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Weathered Souls opening tap room in Charlotte:  https://charlotte.axios.com/275539/scoop-black-is-beautiful-creator-to-open-charlotte-brewery-and-incubator/

Now this one is surprising.  One of the top breweries in San Antonio, and known for starting the "Black is Beautiful" collaboration stout, is opening a satellite brewery and tap room in SouthEnd.   I think it will be safe to say that by the end of 2022, we will officially be a "beer mecca" and start entering the conversations of best beer cities.   The Burial Taproom (world class), HopFly (already highly regarded), and Weathered Souls all are adding big, already established names to an impressive list of locals.

I know of three maybe four more breweries opening up shop here in the next 2 years that haven't been announced. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Not to mention even having AirBnB at Saucy Brew Works.  Imagine that'll be quite the draw for beer lovers coming out of town to do a brewery hop 

5 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

I know of three maybe four more breweries opening up shop here in the next 2 years that haven't been announced. 

Established or new?  

1 minute ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not to mention even having AirBnB at Saucy Brew Works.  Imagine that'll be quite the draw for beer lovers coming out of town to do a brewery hop 

Eh...honestly no one has heard of them.   Doesn't mean it won't be popular but not sure if it adds anything besides the AirBnB component. 

You beer lovers are aware of Snallygaster I'm sure.  One of the biggest beer festivals in the US features the best breweries in the US and abroad.   Two of Charlotte's best and brightest will be there this year.  Resident Culture & Wooden Robot making appearances and I'm sure they will impress.

Full list on their website:  https://www.snallygasterdc.com/

I wish I could be there.  Maybe next year.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, kermit said:

CBJ says they expect Resident Culture Southend and Gilde to open "before the end of the year".

Resident culture: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/11/04/resident-culture-eyes-december-opening.html

And to add:  I talked to the Burial manager a few weeks ago and he also said "before the end of the year".  He just moved from Asheville so they were ready to fully get started. 

HopFly: Expected opening January according to the brewery guys that were in Charlotte for the Heist beer festival.  They said they will start brewing in the next few weeks (maybe this week...I had a few drinks by then). LOL.

Heist Night and Day beer festival:  Wow.  They did an excellent job with the festival and worth every penny we spent to attend.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

And to add:  I talked to the Burial manager a few weeks ago and he also said "before the end of the year".  He just moved from Asheville so they were ready to fully get started. 

HopFly: Expected opening January according to the brewery guys that were in Charlotte for the Heist beer festival.  They said they will start brewing in the next few weeks (maybe this week...I had a few drinks by then). LOL.

Heist Night and Day beer festival:  Wow.  They did an excellent job with the festival and worth every penny we spent to attend.

Burial doesn't even have permits for its taproom yet, so no way there. 

21 minutes ago, Jt282506 said:

Burial doesn't even have permits for its taproom yet, so no way there. 

Just going but what the manager guy told me (he literally moved from Asheville to CLT the day before).  They have already started on the "to-go" side on the left (but that could also be what they meant by open).  If they moved a guy from Asheville to open the space, you have to imagine they are close to getting started as I can't imagine they are gonna pay him to do nothing but man the to-go shop twice a week.

NoDa apparently isn't brewing Hot Pistol (chocolate raspberry habanero stout) this year, so I decided to brew it with habaneros from my garden!  It was a NoDa homebrew contest winner, so I e-mailed the original homebrewers, and they sent me the recipe!  (It's the NC Beer Guys.)  I brewed it yesterday and I'm very excited.  The hardest part was deciding how many habaneros, since the recipe called for habanero extract instead of whole peppers.  Anyway, it's in the fermenter and I'll check the heat in a few days and add more if necessary.

Obligatory CLTBeer:  Anybody else disappointed that Hoppy Holidays was released already?  I always looked forward to getting it right after Thanksgiving, even visiting the brewery on Black Friday a couple years for its release.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grodney said:

NoDa apparently isn't brewing Hot Pistol (chocolate raspberry habanero stout) this year, so I decided to brew it with habaneros from my garden!  It was a NoDa homebrew contest winner, so I e-mailed the original homebrewers, and they sent me the recipe!  (It's the NC Beer Guys.)  I brewed it yesterday and I'm very excited.  The hardest part was deciding how many habaneros, since the recipe called for habanero extract instead of whole peppers.  Anyway, it's in the fermenter and I'll check the heat in a few days and add more if necessary.

Obligatory CLTBeer:  Anybody else disappointed that Hoppy Holidays was released already?  I always looked forward to getting it right after Thanksgiving, even visiting the brewery on Black Friday a couple years for its release.

FYI - You can usually get habanero extract at Aldi's in a little tube.  I use it for chili...it be hawt!  As for Hoppy Holidays seasonal creep....yeah...pretty sure it has been this early at least last year and I think the year before.  Nothing like seeing Santa cans while the Halloween decorations are still up.  And it isn't like you buy an IPA now and stash it away until Christmas.  Good luck finding a fresh one in the middle of December. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, kermit said:

^ Wow,  Interesting business strategy.

They have come out and said they couldn't buy that kind of advertising for the $1000 fine, so money well spent.  They think the are "cool" and "edgy"....how about making good beer instead?   Nah, we just want attention so we pay Charlotte Agenda for advertising and break state laws to get noticed instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

They have come out and said they couldn't buy that kind of advertising for the $1000 fine, so money well spent.  They think the are "cool" and "edgy"....how about making good beer instead?   Nah, we just want attention so we pay Charlotte Agenda for advertising and break state laws to get noticed instead.

Maybe I'm just too much of a fan boy of IPA's but I think Sycamore has been putting out some good ones lately.  Mountain Candy has supplanted Juicy Jay as a go to, for similar reasons others have echoed on the site about JJ's inconsistent quality one batch to the next.  Tropical Kush that's out right now, Orange Machete, Fantasy Land..  All are pretty solid.  Juiciness/Haziness are average but decently priced in 8 packs for a local IPA.  White Zombie is a go to of mine for boat days but sometimes I'll switch it up with Sycamore's Sun Grown which is decent.. 

They get a lot of grief for the vibe at the brewery and I'd have probably been in that camp.  But during the early days of Covid when they started delivering locally my opinion started to shift

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Similar to Bojangles store wrap marketing gimmick. I feel like the fines need to go up exponentially for every subsequent infraction if they actually want it to have teeth. 

45 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Maybe I'm just too much of a fan boy of IPA's but I think Sycamore has been putting out some good ones lately.  Mountain Candy has supplanted Juicy Jay as a go to, for similar reasons others have echoed on the site about JJ's inconsistent quality one batch to the next.  Tropical Kush that's out right now, Orange Machete, Fantasy Land..  All are pretty solid.  Juiciness/Haziness are average but decently priced in 8 packs for a local IPA.  White Zombie is a go to of mine for boat days but sometimes I'll switch it up with Sycamore's Sun Grown which is decent.. 

They get a lot of grief for the vibe at the brewery and I'd have probably been in that camp.  But during the early days of Covid when they started delivering locally my opinion started to shift

I am with you as well. Dislike going to the physical brewery but Sycamore has started making much better beer as of the last 2-3 years. I wouldn't say its the best in the area but it is a consistent and good option when grabbing a 4 pack

34 minutes ago, TGIBridays said:

Similar to Bojangles store wrap marketing gimmick. I feel like the fines need to go up exponentially for every subsequent infraction if they actually want it to have teeth. 

One is a zoning violation, the other is breaking NCABC laws.  Not exactly the same thing.   The fines for Sycamore should be substantially higher as this is the 3rd time they have pulled the same stunt. 

As for their beer: Better options at better price points across the board.   I get the millennial love for the place...that's what they cater to.  Drug references, sex toys, and medicore IPA's...that's what they do best. 

• Thanks 4

My hot take: Sycamore is the worst brewery in Charlotte proper and the can is consistent with their form over quality approach to beer(no pearl clutching here, I just think they're a gimmick).

As a side note, I make the distinction of Charlotte proper to leave space for Primal, the worst brewery in Mecklenburg county.  

• Like 2