Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

One is a zoning violation, the other is breaking NCABC laws.  Not exactly the same thing.   The fines for Sycamore should be substantially higher as this is the 3rd time they have pulled the same stunt. 

That's why I said similar.  In both cases as long as the consequences are low, it's a good marketing strategy that sells product so it'll keep happening.

19 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

The annual Sycamore, "we bypassed state regulations and released a beer can we shouldn't" Christmas cookie beer is out...complete with strap on dildo's.  Nothing says christmas like dildo's and pocket pussies. 

Capture.JPG

I guess I'm just dumb/dense/out-of-touch (all distinct possibilities) . . . but why is this a thing? It's time to reform, abolish and privatize the functions of the NCABC, cut it with the annual pearl clutching about a stupid beer can and move on to important things. Is this state really as prudish as we're being governed? If we just ignore it, it will go away. Are we adults or are we just overgrown children needing a state ABC board to rule on the design of a beer can to "protect" us from who knows what?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InTheYear2000 said:

My hot take: Sycamore is the worst brewery in Charlotte proper and the can is consistent with their form over quality approach to beer(no pearl clutching here, I just think they're a gimmick).

As a side note, I make the distinction of Charlotte proper to leave space for Primal, the worst brewery in Mecklenburg county.  

Agree on Primal.  Have you been to the Salty Parrot yet?  If not, you'll have a new Charlotte proper champ.  One person I was with did have a stout he liked there but everything else was receiving quite a negative reaction from a friend group that usually hasn't met a beer they haven't liked.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Agree on Primal.  Have you been to the Salty Parrot yet?  If not, you'll have a new Charlotte proper champ.  One person I was with did have a stout he liked there but everything else was receiving quite a negative reaction from a friend group that usually hasn't met a beer they haven't liked.

+1 on Salty Parrot. Been three times (its local). First was mediocre (a pub bitter), next two (two different IPAs) were the worst beers I have had in Charlotte. One of those IPAs was served warm (I assume unintentionally)

Eagerly awaiting Hopfly…

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

They have come out and said they couldn't buy that kind of advertising for the $1000 fine, so money well spent.  They think the are "cool" and "edgy"....how about making good beer instead?   Nah, we just want attention so we pay Charlotte Agenda for advertising and break state laws to get noticed instead.

These beers are approved. What makes you think they are breaking laws? Just the rumor mill churning?

https://abc.nc.gov/Product/Product/183052

https://abc.nc.gov/Product/Product/155006

On 12/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, InTheYear2000 said:

My hot take: Sycamore is the worst brewery in Charlotte proper and the can is consistent with their form over quality approach to beer(no pearl clutching here, I just think they're a gimmick).

As a side note, I make the distinction of Charlotte proper to leave space for Primal, the worst brewery in Mecklenburg county.  

I guess that's why we are stuck with Primal's satellite location in Gaston County (Belmont).  We don't deserve anything good over this way!  Jekyll and Hyde is not much better.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:24 PM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

And just like that, Salty Parrot is closed on an ACC Championship game Friday evening around 7pm. Wonder what that could mean…

image.jpg

Edited by kermit

On 12/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, kermit said:

And just like that, Salty Parrot is closed on an ACC Championship game Friday evening around 7pm. Wonder what that could mean…

image.jpg

No surprise based on your post but according to their Facebook page they’ve closed with “covid” taking the blame. Wouldn’t surprise me to see another brewery give it a go at this spot. Hopefully with better beer.

DFEF9A8A-044E-4CF0-9C71-6EA648FC8C48.thumb.jpeg.9de7f21b34b9f861bc060ca45877df64.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, NeverSummer said:

These beers are approved. What makes you think they are breaking laws? Just the rumor mill churning?

https://abc.nc.gov/Product/Product/183052

https://abc.nc.gov/Product/Product/155006

There is zero chance the ABC approved that label, just like they didn't approve the two labels before it.  Year 1, Joe Bruno reported about the reindeer sex label.  They get a fine, makes the news, publicity sells even more of it, have to re-label, rinse/repeat every year since.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

There is zero chance the ABC approved that label, just like they didn't approve the two labels before it.  Year 1, Joe Bruno reported about the reindeer sex label.  They get a fine, makes the news, publicity sells even more of it, have to re-label, rinse/repeat every year since.  

So you are saying the ABC website is wrong where it shows “approved” for both of these beers? 

3 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

So you are saying the ABC website is wrong where it shows “approved” for both of these beers? 

Yes.  They have an approved label from 2018.  That isn't it.  

https://charlotte.axios.com/189273/sycamores-sexual-reindeer-beer-cans-prompts-a-visit-from-state-alcohol-enforcement/

Not sure why this is so hard for you believe. 

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Yes.  They have an approved label from 2018.  That isn't it.  

https://charlotte.axios.com/189273/sycamores-sexual-reindeer-beer-cans-prompts-a-visit-from-state-alcohol-enforcement/

Not sure why this is so hard for you believe. 

I am not having a hard time believing you, and I also know the genesis of all of this. I simply found the ABC links and assumed that approved meant approved. How do you know otherwise?

22 minutes ago, NeverSummer said:

I am not having a hard time believing you, and I also know the genesis of all of this. I simply found the ABC links and assumed that approved meant approved. How do you know otherwise?

Because the state ABC isn't going to approve beer cans with strap on dildo's and pocket pussies on them.   Did you read the article?  

The state’s ABC commission is notorious for being cautious when it comes to anything racy.

In August, the commission denied the request from a Utah brewery to distribute its “Polygamy Porter” throughout North Carolina. The label depicted a barely dressed man flanked by three women, who were also barely dressed.

In that case, the governing group cited a code that prohibits statements on labels that are “undignified, immodest, or in bad taste,” the local station WRAL reported.

For its sin — not attaining approval for its labels — Sycamore will be issued a notice of violation, which will probably arrive within a month, Qureshi says. Then they’ll likely face a fine. Around $500-$1,000, Qureshi estimates.

7 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Because the state ABC isn't going to approve beer cans with strap on dildo's and pocket pussies on them.   Did you read the article?  

The state’s ABC commission is notorious for being cautious when it comes to anything racy.

In August, the commission denied the request from a Utah brewery to distribute its “Polygamy Porter” throughout North Carolina. The label depicted a barely dressed man flanked by three women, who were also barely dressed.

In that case, the governing group cited a code that prohibits statements on labels that are “undignified, immodest, or in bad taste,” the local station WRAL reported.

For its sin — not attaining approval for its labels — Sycamore will be issued a notice of violation, which will probably arrive within a month, Qureshi says. Then they’ll likely face a fine. Around $500-$1,000, Qureshi estimates.

Right on. We have crossed wires. I thought you had a place where the labels were (not) on record. I didn’t realize you were speaking in terms of ABC decisions past. All good.

• Like 1

https://charlotte.axios.com/276061/scoop-suffolk-punch-is-adding-a-taproom-and-beer-garden-at-a-revamped-plaza-at-southpark-mall/

Suffolk Punch heading to SouthPark mall.  Interesting.  Not a big fan of their beer but sometimes stop in if the wifey wants a cocktail after stopping for beers at Triple C.  I mean I am not making a trip just to go to there from home, but if I ever go back to the office, might stop in after work if they have anything interesting on.  Should do just fine with mall traffic and with the growing amount of apartments going up.  Legion is usually busy, at least when the weather is nice.  Would have liked to see pretty much any other brewery do this concept at the mall but it is what it is.  Progress.  Now do Ballantyne.  How places like Noda haven't opened a tap room in South CLT is beyond me. 

On 12/15/2021 at 9:38 AM, InSouthPark said:

Now do Ballantyne.  How places like Noda haven't opened a tap room in South CLT is beyond me. 

The Burton's space at Blakeney would have been perfect.  Actually, the Shake Shack space at Blakeney next to the green area would have been PERFECT with the outdoor space.  The Dean & Duluca space at Stonecrest is still open.  The one thing all these spots have in common is that I'm sure the lease is ridiculously expensive.  But if Suffolk can do South Park, yeah, you would think somebody could do somewhere in the greater Ballantyne area.

10 minutes ago, grodney said:

The Burton's space at Blakeney would have been perfect.  Actually, the Shake Shack space at Blakeney next to the green area would have been PERFECT with the outdoor space.  The Dean & Duluca space at Stonecrest is still open.  The one thing all these spots have in common is that I'm sure the lease is ridiculously expensive.  But if Suffolk can do South Park, yeah, you would think somebody could do somewhere in the greater Ballantyne area.

There may or may not be something coming to the Ballantyne Reimagined project, but I can't confirm who or what.

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

There may or may not be something coming to the Ballantyne Reimagined project, but I can't confirm who or what.

If you hint at Legion, I will smack you. LOL.  Something different please!  But yeah, something on one of those greenspaces would be awesome. 

2 hours ago, grodney said:

While leases can be expensive in Ballantyne, the centers can offer deals to drive up traffic in the area, like Simon is doing for Suffolk at SouthPark.  And these don't need to be big expensive buildouts for a taproom.  Brewery/Taproom brings people to the shopping center that wouldn't already be there.  Someplace like Blakeney might be too expensive but there are other lessor visited centers that could add one.  But yeah, that Dean and Deluca spot would be killer location.  I wonder though if that large patio would be allowed to have beer, or if it would have to sectioned out to just a section for the brewery.

17 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

If you hint at Legion, I will smack you. LOL.  Something different please!  But yeah, something on one of those greenspaces would be awesome. 

I won't / legally can't give any hints one way or the other about any brands they're putting there, but if they get all the tenants they're going after it'll be a major food and drink destination for all of south Charlotte.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I won't / legally can't give any hints one way or the other about any brands they're putting there, but if they get all the tenants they're going after it'll be a major food and drink destination for all of south Charlotte.

As a South Charlotte resident, this is awesome news.  Just hope I am not retired (2035) before it gets built!  

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Jt282506 said:

Burial doesn't even have permits for its taproom yet, so no way there. 

Just to update, and that the manager wasn't crazy when they said they would be opening soon...

Burial has been opening their patio on select days.  The "lounge" is open again today and Friday from 4-8pm with draft beer along with the to-go packages.  So while they haven't begun the upfit inside, they have their ABC permits and are slinging beers on the patio.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, InSouthPark said:

Just to update, and that the manager wasn't crazy when they said they would be opening soon...

Burial has been opening their patio on select days.  The "lounge" is open again today and Friday from 4-8pm with draft beer along with the to-go packages.  So while they haven't begun the upfit inside, they have their ABC permits and are slinging beers on the patio.

Right, yeah, I guess I meant the full facility won't be open for quite some time.