Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

As a state run liquor monopoly North Carolina residents are eligible for purchase and shipping from out of state vendors. I have been doing so for 15 years. States with private liquor stores usually (always?) prohibit this as it threatens their local businesses and taxes. I search among stores and shops with online presence who advertise my preferred brand and type of scotch, Talisker 10 year. This is a top shelf item with price to match so the difference from the best online price compared to NC or even SC stores is 20$+/bottle. I buy six per purchase to make shipping worthwhile. Some vendors do not add NC tax which means the shipping equals unpaid tax thus savings are real. My tax return has a line to declare taxes due from out of state purchases. One MUST have an adult of 21 at the delivery address to personally accept delivery and sign. I sometimes direct delivery to a local UPS or FEDEX store and they hold for my collection and signature if waiting at home is inconvenient. Savings from mid- to low-price liquor is not worth the trouble in my opinion.  It does require some foresight to make purchase prior to immediate need. For most of the rest of my liquor supply online ordering is unworthy except for occasional expenses such as high end cognac, calvados and such which are rare or unavailable here.

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

As a state run liquor monopoly North Carolina residents are eligible for purchase and shipping from out of state vendors. I have been doing so for 15 years.

Methinks you might not have that quite right, according to a recent Ledger article - abridged version below. (the article is behind a paywall, so I'll just add that the Ledger subscription is worth it and the content is excellent.)

Frustrated by ABC shortages, local drinkers order alcohol from a national website; apparently illegal but little enforcement

By Tony Mecia

There’s no remorse in Frank’s voice, as he talks about that day in October when he quietly went online and ordered a bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin and some Herradura tequila.

Like other liquor, those bottles are sometimes in short supply at Mecklenburg ABC Stores. During the pandemic, Frank and his wife developed a taste for martinis, and he’ll sip tequila at night after the kids are in bed.

His descent into the illicit world of online liquor started innocently enough, when a friend tipped him off about a website. Curious, Frank — a 39-year-old Charlotte business owner — brazenly went online. He found the selection enticing. With a series of clicks and keystrokes, he ordered. The contraband arrived 12 days later. He signed for it.

[...]

To get around the shortage of liquor in ABC stores, several local drinkers have described to The Ledger how they are obtaining shipments of alcohol for personal use — which they assume is legal because the alcohol shows up at their door. Turns out, the process is no more difficult than ordering on Amazon or any other online retailer: [...]

The Ledger described the practice to a spokesman for the N.C. ABC Commission, who told us in an email:

that online business’ operations would not be legal in the state of North Carolina. There is no mailing or delivery of spirituous liquor to NC residents for either out-of-state or in-state distilleries or retailers.

Sternly worded letter: A spokeswoman for the state’s Alcohol Law Enforcement said the department has received complaints about companies without permits selling alcoholic beverages to North Carolina residents. If the seller is in-state, ALE agents could conduct an investigation that leads to a citation or arrest. If the seller is out-of-state, N.C. officials “will send a cease and desist letter providing education on illegal sales and transfer of alcoholic beverages into North Carolina,” she said. But she suggested policing shipments from out of state is not a major priority:

ALE primarily focuses proactive enforcement efforts on deterring criminal behavior, violence and negligent sales of alcoholic beverages at ABC-permitted and illegal establishments throughout North Carolina. 

[...]

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, just six states and the District of Columbia allow shipments of liquor. Most states, including North Carolina, forbid all shipments of alcoholic beverages except wine, like you might receive from a wine subscription club.

[...]

Ha! Tony quoted me in that story as a reader response, similar to what I posted here. 

So perhaps the situation is that since the sole source for liquor in NC is the ABC system through its distributed system of local boards, the issue of online ordering from out of state is not clearly established, followed or enforced. I know that when I was in another state with private liquor outlets the online option was prohibited at the seller site. Lists of states where it was prohibited were on the vendor site at that time and NC was not listed. I will continue. Thank you for the reminder from the article that I not only read but contributed to.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Ha! Tony quoted me in that story as a reader response, similar to what I posted here. 

So perhaps the situation is that since the sole source for liquor in NC is the ABC system through its distributed system of local boards, the issue of online ordering from out of state is not clearly established, followed or enforced. I know that when I was in another state with private liquor outlets the online option was prohibited at the seller site. Lists of states where it was prohibited were on the vendor site at that time and NC was not listed. I will continue. Thank you for the reminder from the article that I not only read but contributed to.

Nice! :alc:

• Haha 1

Resident Culture Southend tap room opening Friday:  https://charlotte.axios.com/283703/sneak-peek-resident-cultures-new-south-end-taproom-opens-friday/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_charlotte&stream=top

Anyone been to Midnight Mulligan yet?  I had hope to check it out but alas, they aren't open on Mondays....the one day a week I am right there every other week (usually at Lucky Dog). 

Hopfly is brewing in Charlotte but keeping an opening date close to the vest.  Lot to "undo" in the Unknown space. 

No updated date on Hi-Wire or Gilde. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Resident Culture Southend tap room opening Friday:  https://charlotte.axios.com/283703/sneak-peek-resident-cultures-new-south-end-taproom-opens-friday/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_charlotte&stream=top

Anyone been to Midnight Mulligan yet?  I had hope to check it out but alas, they aren't open on Mondays....the one day a week I am right there every other week (usually at Lucky Dog). 

Hopfly is brewing in Charlotte but keeping an opening date close to the vest.  Lot to "undo" in the Unknown space. 

No updated date on Hi-Wire or Gilde. 

Hopfly is eyeing Feb-March, and boy was there a lot to undo

Edited by Jt282506
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great updates everybody!  Can you help me with this?  Anything I'm missing or have anything incorrect?  I really don't pay much attention anymore, hahaha!

Things I know I don't know:

- Does Salud actually brew at their site (or anywhere other than at Heist)?  (By the way, last I asked Heist, they (Heist) still brewed some of their (Heist's) batches on their OG system.  But also last I knew, Salud was also using that system.)

- Does Sycamore even brew at their OG location anymore?

- Is NoDa OG taproom open?

- Does Protagonist brew at both locations?

- Any other out of town breweries with taprooms and/or brewing here?

- Is Free Range open at Camp North End?

- Wasn't there supposed to be a taproom in Plaza Mid for some Gastonia brewery or something?

Edit: Oh man, I guess Lost Worlds needs to be grouped in with Primal and Eleven Lakes!

Thanks!

cltbreweries20220109.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Great updates everybody!  Can you help me with this?  Anything I'm missing or have anything incorrect?  I really don't pay much attention anymore, hahaha!

Things I know I don't know:

- Does Salud actually brew at their site (or anywhere other than at Heist)?  (By the way, last I asked Heist, they (Heist) still brewed some of their (Heist's) batches on their OG system.  But also last I knew, Salud was also using that system.)

- Wasn't there supposed to be a taproom in Plaza Mid for some Gastonia brewery or something?

Edit: Oh man, I guess Lost Worlds needs to be grouped in with Primal and Eleven Lakes!

Thanks!

cltbreweries20220109.jpg

• Yes and is looking for a warehouse to expand, and possibly a second location.

• Yes

• No, just brew there

• Supposedly, but the NoDa location never smells like brewing in there.

• See below "coming soon"

• Its not a brewery its a tap room and bar

• Rent was too Damn High

Some Rumors & Other Notes

• OMB Adding Two new locations in Cornelius and Ballantyne
• Protagonist Adding a Uptown Location
• Hippin Hops opening in NoDa this summer
• You missed Vaulted Oak
• HopFly opening in old Unknown Space
• Hi-Wire Opening on Tremont
• Weathered Souls opening in "LoSo"
• Southern Strain opening tap room in Plaza Midwood

• New Brewery coming to Mint Street
• New Brewery coming to the Platform in SouthEnd

• Saucy Brew Works coming to Morehead St
• A brewery of some sort will be coming to Lintmens
• Anthem Food Hall will have a brewery taproom

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 4

On 1/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, The Real Clayton said:

• Yes

• No, just brew there

• Rent was too Damn High

• You missed Vaulted Oak

That all ya got? LOL. 

Oh and the Suffolk Punch coming soon in SP mall. 

interesting that OMB is the Northwood Ballantyne brewery.  Makes sense as they have the most disposable income it appears and looks to be a big spot to fill.  

Why would Protagonist open another location in uptown?  Seems like massive overkill.  Something like that would do a KILLING in someplace like Stonecrest or Blakeney.  Good pizza and beer  in Ballantyne...the rent checks would write themselves.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:02 PM, The Real Clayton said:

• Yes

• No, just brew there

• Rent was too Damn High

• You missed Vaulted Oak

I also think that OMB is building a new taproom in Mt. Holly on NC27 right by the Catawba River.

Man what’s going on with Wooden Robot?  Is it just me, or has their beer quality taken a sharp sharp decline?    I went today and had a very mediocre winter ale and followed it up with their tried and true Good Morning Vietnam which was completely undrinkable.  My wife felt the same way.  Such a shame for what used it to be my favorite brewery in Charlotte. 

17 hours ago, CTiger said:

Man what’s going on with Wooden Robot?  Is it just me, or has their beer quality taken a sharp sharp decline?    I went today and had a very mediocre winter ale and followed it up with their tried and true Good Morning Vietnam which was completely undrinkable.  My wife felt the same way.  Such a shame for what used it to be my favorite brewery in Charlotte. 

I feel like the GMV has lost all its flavor as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Short review of Midnight Mulligan:

Very nice spot, killer view from the patio when it gets warmer.  Beer we had was good, nothing out of the ordinary (breakfast stout and a gose).   It was very busy Saturday afternoon (but so were Resident Culture, Catawba and Fonta Flora).  They put a lot of money into the upfit.  We didn't try any food and only saw a few people eating, but it was like 2pm.  

Worth a look-see!  That area is changing so fast.  My wife hasn't been over there in like two years and was blown away.  It used to be Lucky Dog and that's it. 

Once Legion gets up and running over that way, it will soon be its own little brewery district with Town, Midnight, Summit Seltzer, Blue Blaze (I guess they are still open) and Legion all right there.  

• Like 2

Can someone please fill the Fitzgerald’s, Brixx, and Queen City Q locations?! We are seeing four events in a row from Friday- Monday at the arena with a minimum of 15,000 people. We desperately need more bars and restaurants around the arena now that full crowds are back. I am tired of packing into the few pregame bars within walking distance. All though they must be cashing in on these nights. 

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Can anyone share the best way to get from sugar creek Greenway to Middle James Brewery without being run over?

Well just looking at google maps, it looks like you'll either need to trek through some woods and do some creek jumping or you might be able to jump onto the  S Polk St sidewalk by following this gravel access  from the greenway (since the sidewalk doesn't extend to the James Polk site).  From there you can get there following sidewalks or cutting through parking lots where the sidewalks end. However, the google streetview is from August of last year, so that gravel access may not be there anymore.  image.thumb.png.71df077bb8a4b693561626f92a01b9a3.pngimage.thumb.png.f47274829bf033f3bc834d91e3c1f36b.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Can anyone share the best way to get from sugar creek Greenway to Middle James Brewery without being run over?

There isn't any good way.  You can go  the greenway to 51 and then take the tiny sidewalks from 51 to Polk St.  Pineville has the absolute worst sidewalk network ever imaginable.   

The above image from TGBI is going way out of the way and taking even more crappy sidewalks.  

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 2