Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

13 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

There isn't any good way.  You can go  the greenway to 51 and then take the tiny sidewalks from 51 to Polk St.  Pineville has the absolute worst sidewalk network ever imaginable.   

The above image from TGBI is going way out of the way and taking even more crappy sidewalks.  

It drives me nuts the number of sidewalks which suddenly just end. Please Charlotte fix the sidewalk situation!

I'm not up for creek jumping so I guess 51 is the way. That's what I'd concluded looking at Google maps too. Just hoped someone here might know of a secret path somewhere. Like through what appears to be a driving range. :-)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

There isn't any good way.  You can go  the greenway to 51 and then take the tiny sidewalks from 51 to Polk St.  Pineville has the absolute worst sidewalk network ever imaginable.   

The above image from TGBI is going way out of the way and taking even more crappy sidewalks.  

Yeah I completely missed that there's an access to 51 from the greenway. It doesn't show on the globe view of google maps. Definitely do that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elrodvt said:

It drives me nuts the number of sidewalks which suddenly just end. Please Charlotte fix the sidewalk situation!

I'm not up for creek jumping so I guess 51 is the way. That's what I'd concluded looking at Google maps too. Just hoped someone here might know of a secret path somewhere. Like through what appears to be a driving range. :-)

You can see the driving range from the greenway...but unless you have a kayak to get across the wetland...it isn't happening.  

Of course it's too late to ever happen now but Raugh Properties should have partnered up for a bridge there.  

• Like 1

Drove past Gilde this afternoon. They appeared to be buttoning up the patio, and furniture was in place. I did not get a good look at the inside, but it felt like they are very close to opening.  It does not look as big as I thought it would be.

I walked past HopFly on Saturday evening and they were hosting a private event (which had not gotten started yet). The taproom looked nice from outside, but still kinda cold/minimalist (but much less lime green)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Going to Legion SouthPark tomorrow. Any suggestions? What is the normal clientele, any different than SouthEnd?

Its definitely a southpark crowd, not a southend crowd.  More parents looking for beer and food  Food is always good.  I like sours and IPAs and they always have a few small batch ones that are usually pretty good. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 2:03 PM, kermit said:

Drove past Gilde this afternoon. They appeared to be buttoning up the patio, and furniture was in place. I did not get a good look at the inside, but it felt like they are very close to opening.  It does not look as big as I thought it would be.

Gilde opens Saturday.  Per Jason Thomas's Instagram.  He has a lot more details and pictures, but Instagram can be a bit of pain if you don't have an account.

274385832_479470720496806_8277716452857869705_n.thumb.jpg.b288d7e0ec692944eca24f197c6b0495.jpg

Edited by TGIBridays
Pic added.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Okay so how are we pronouncing this?

Good timing to ask!  Axios updated this Nov story today... "German brewery Gilde (pronounced gill-duh)"

https://charlotte.axios.com/279120/coming-soon-huge-german-brewer-aims-for-mid-december-opening-gilde-refresh/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Middle James today announced they are opening a second location in Rock Hill.   Project looks pretty cool.  Off of Technology Center Way, a block or so off of Main Street.  Good for them. We hit them up pretty often as they are only a few miles from Carolina Pavilion and Carolina Place area and we always seem to need a beer after a Target run.

image.png.d1e76546abe92806cfbcb2160fe8251f.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Banner in front of Salty Parrot / Sunstead building. One of their beers was on tap at Palmer Street tonight but I did not taste it.

All the glass in the front of the building is papered over so it feels like renovation is happening.

IMG_4471.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 10:23 PM, kermit said:

Banner in front of Salty Parrot / Sunstead building. One of their beers was on tap at Palmer Street tonight but I did not taste it.

All the glass in the front of the building is papered over so it feels like renovation is happening.

IMG_4471.jpg

Awesome! They're another Asheville brewery branching out to Charlotte.  One of the spots my wife and I always try to hit up when we're out there.

Much better then anything that location has seen so far

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 10:23 PM, kermit said:

IMG_4471.jpg

Will this be the third brewery to go to 0 in this location? 

In related area news, Hopfly is *excellent*. Probably the best overall brewery in Charlotte, and their ordering system is great - order online via QR code and they bring the beer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilmore said:

Will this be the third brewery to go to 0 in this location? 

In related area news, Hopfly is *excellent*. Probably the best overall brewery in Charlotte, and their ordering system is great - order online via QR code and they bring the beer. 

Bhramari is a legit excellent brewery in Asheville.  Weird and interesting beers with good food.   It will do a killing there IMO.

Agree that HopFly is great.  Great variety and quality.  Been there 3 times already :-)   Went to Resident Culture Southend.  Hard pass unless the wife wants a cocktail and I need a beer.  Love the original location.  Southend was built specifically for a certain generation, and that ain't me. LOL

• Like 2

Haven't seen any press releases or anything from Bhramari, but that's pretty cool!  That location was originally Southern Soltice, which changed their name to Sunstead before opening.  Then they failed and Toucan Louie's was going to open it as a brewery, but I don't know if that ever happened.  Then one of the originals from D9 left them and opened it as Salty Parrot.  At least that's how I remember it, hahahaha.

Haven't been to Resident Culture Southend, but I need them to open at 10am or 11am and start slinging those breakfast tacos!  Otherwise, yeah, doesn't look like my kind of place.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:38 PM, CLT Development said:

They are having some serious PR issues, so hence no announcement yet. They won't have food at this location :-( :-(

image.thumb.png.f1db5d53d248c95cc62a1145a0e22967.png

image.thumb.png.96732a868dca2ce4d14af1b5a41eaea3.png

To echo this, they have some toxic culture it seems and their PR person being the owner's wife doesn't seem to be helping matters. Petty Thieves cancelled a collab with them as well. This location will be a taproom only. No cocktails. No beer. Seems more like an opportunistic cash in than wanting to bring the full experience of Asheville here. 

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Anyone see Lightning Drops 4-packs recently, besides the brewery? I feel like prior to the second location opening the Park Rd or Sedgefield HT had it but seems to be scarce now.  I wonder if they're having a hard enough time keeping up with brewery demand they aren't able to can it

I used to see it regularly at the uptown whole foods, but not in the past 4 months or so. Never seen it at the East blvd Teeter.

14 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Anyone see Lightning Drops 4-packs recently, besides the brewery? I feel like prior to the second location opening the Park Rd or Sedgefield HT had it but seems to be scarce now.  I wonder if they're having a hard enough time keeping up with brewery demand they aren't able to can it

3-4 weeks ago at Waverly Whole Foods.

18 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

SouthPark Whole Foods usually has it too.

17 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Although I'm speculating, I think it's highly likely the SE location is changing their distribution priorities. I hear they are moving way more volume at the new location, like 50+ half barrels a week (which is a ton) and at higher margins than grocery store shelves.