Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 6/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, Jt282506 said:

Nor do they have ABC. I was really confused when they announced that date, their inspections don't indicate they are ready...even 2 weeks ago

They have had a temp one for a year now as they have been selling beer to-go and occasionally pouring on the patio: https://abc.nc.gov/Permit/Information/285239  I would assume they don't get the permanent one until they get the COO?

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Axios has a “story” on Bhramari opening in the Gold District (former Salty Parrot space). They say absolutely nothing other than they plan for an opening in “summer.”

https://charlotte.axios.com/299314/popular-asheville-brewery-expanding-to-charlotte-this-summer/

The owners was extremely difficult and off putting when I spoke with him a few months ago. They are not doing cocktails or food, and they dont seem to  have any interest in addressing the gross toxic workplace allegations against the owner either. No thanks

• 1 month later...

Finally got the change to check out Burial on Tuesday (mostly because I didn't want to fight crowds or drive around looking for a place to park on a weekend).  

Really nice setup, especially when the weather turns a little cooler.  About 20 taps downstairs with a pretty wide variety and about a dozen taps on the rooftop bar (a lot of those overlap).  Nice courtyard off the back which gets shade in the later afternoon.   The crowd for a Tuesday night good.  Busy but not too busy.  $5 surf wax on Tuesdays. 

This will be a successful spot without them going completely overboard on the buildout.  Nice assortment in the to-go section with merch as well.  Well thought out IMO.  

As for the new taproom for Monday Night brewing...I am not familiar with them but other beer geeks I know are pretty excited about it. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/302273/proposed-food-hall-in-south-end-reimagined-as-spot-for-an-atlanta-based-brewery/

And Hi-Wire taproom opens up this week.  I am not a big fan of their standard core lineup but I do really like their 10W-40 line of stouts and their barrel aged sours are usually on point.

I really do think we are going to see more of the remote taproom setups in the future.  While we will still see new breweries...the successful ones are going to try and tap our market and have a much quicker turn around time for profits for a taproom buildout than a new brewery. 

The explosive growth of craft brewers and the expansion of their target market make it seem beer consumption is ever upward. That does not seem to be true. According to tax records domestic beer production is on a downward trend even disregarding the pandemic year of 2020:

https://www.ttb.gov/beer/statistics

Sales volume rather than production may tell a different story as prices change and taste for premium options drive numbers higher. Nonetheless, the beer market has been affected by specialization within the established market rather than growing the market, especially when considering the larger beer eligible population now compared to X years ago. There is a beer culture now that did not exist ten or more years ago and the community based brewery/consumption model affects appearances.

I was not drinking Bud light ten years ago but may others were and have changed their consumption patterns (apparently). I welcome more data in this field.

9 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The explosive growth of craft brewers and the expansion of their target market make it seem beer consumption is ever upward. That does not seem to be true. According to tax records domestic beer production is on a downward trend even disregarding the pandemic year of 2020:

https://www.ttb.gov/beer/statistics

Sales volume rather than production may tell a different story as prices change and taste for premium options drive numbers higher. Nonetheless, the beer market has been affected by specialization within the established market rather than growing the market, especially when considering the larger beer eligible population now compared to X years ago. There is a beer culture now that did not exist ten or more years ago and the community based brewery/consumption model affects appearances.

I was not drinking Bud light ten years ago but may others were and have changed their consumption patterns (apparently). I welcome more data in this field.

It's seltzer making the dent. Still plenty of cheap beer being drank in the world but a huge chunk of the population will never drink a Bud Light again.

16 hours ago, JHart said:

It's seltzer making the dent. Still plenty of cheap beer being drank in the world but a huge chunk of the population will never drink a Bud Light again.

That's why the beer companies were trying to get seltzers classified as liquor, before they just started making their own. It was eating into their sales a lot.

Not to yuck anyone's yum but...

The scourge that is pumpkin beer season gets earlier every year (let the record reflect July 22 this year -- where are they getting these pumpkins???)

image.png.c5f38db2becf3d0fcfb04fda7fbb8a61.png

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 3

On 7/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, kermit said:

Not to yuck anyone's yum but...

The scourge that is pumpkin beer season gets earlier every year (let the record reflect July 22 this year -- where are they getting these pumpkins???)

I saw Mecktoberfest on the shelf today (7/23) at HT......my first sighting of any Okt or Pumpkin this year.

Gordgeous is Aug 5, which is ridiculous.  I'm going to buy a case or two when it comes out, then sit on it for 3-4 months and hope it ages well.

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Can't confirm or deny but $9 for a 10W-40 variant isn't obscene.  $9 for one of their IPA's would be. 

Checking prices on Untappd:  Their 3 year sour and 10W-40 is $8 pour.  Nothing is $9.  One IPA is $7.50.   All the others are $6.50

Their prices are basically in line with everyone else, minus Birdsong's dirt cheap drafts.  People complain about beer prices but yet Birdsong is just sitting there doing their thing and you never have a problem getting a stool because they aren't "trendy" and on every Axios list. 

That second apartment building built basically on top does worry me a little about their stools..

On 7/26/2022 at 3:33 AM, turbocraig said:

Birdsong is our go-to brewery.  Not only is it just two turns away, but they have great beer (I’m lookin at you, MexiCali), are totally unpretentious, have a friendly and surprisingly long-term staff that know you by name and when they ask you how you’re doing, they mean it (Lisa, Britney, Toolie).  Chris, the owner, is often there hanging out with patrons.  They have rooftop solar, use half the amount of water to brew vs most everyone else, sponsor and organize local stream clean up events… the list goes on.  It’s a place for people that value good beer and supporting a local business that truly cares and gives back on the reg, vs. making the scene and being overly trendy.  I like a ton of breweries here and we’re fortunate to have so many, but Birdsong really is a gem and we as a community are lucky to have them.  Go support them everyone. 

use half the amount of water to brew vs most everyone else

How is that even possible? 

• 3 weeks later...

Was back at the Birdsong taproom for the first time in a long while the other day. I was impressed with the quality of their seasonals on tap, particularly the Key Lime Kolsch. No real substance here other than to say it was a nice visit.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, kermit said:

Was back at the Birdsong taproom for the first time in a long while the other day. I was impressed with the quality of their seasonals on tap, particularly the Key Lime Kolsch. No real substance here other than to say it was a nice visit.

I didn't try the Key Lime Kolsch last year, but this year took a 4-pack to the beach with me....I was pleasantly surprised!  Today we went to the brewery right at 3pm for the Festbier release.  Delicious beer, though I'll save my cans for cooler weather.  We got 2 pints and 5 4-packs (not all Festbier) and it was $60 before tip.  Unreal.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

I was in Charlotte the other day getting my daughter settled in to her apartment near UNCC. I purchased (for me) some OMB Hornet's Nest Hefeweizen (which is my favorite beer style). It was great. I plan to go to their Biergarten next time in town. How is it?

Depends: If there is an event going on...crowded.  If not, much more enjoyable.  They're places to get your beer outside so you don't have go in the building.  Inside is...fine I guess.   Outside is great and if you are coming near the holidays, they have a Christmas Market as well (crowded but if you go during the day not bad).   

If you like Hefe's, look for Middle James Great Musa hefe (at the brewery and in some stores), it's quite good as well.

Edited by InSouthPark

52 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Any reviews on Gilde's space? I had my eye on going to one of their Oktoberfest weekends. 

Only been once, shortly after opening. Outdoor space (in front) was OK, but much more of a cement than garden vibe. Inside space was surprisingly large and had a bit of an Old Meck taproom vibe, but not cozy at all.

Nothing on tap made me say ‘yum’ the canned pils is fine I think, none of the other beers I tried were better to me (but I don’t like malty beers). 

I really wanted to love it, but I have not returned since this visit in early May(?). 

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Any reviews on Gilde's space? I had my eye on going to one of their Oktoberfest weekends. 

I went a few weeks ago.  The inside is good looking and spacious but honestly spent little time inside (or outside) because they were having drag brunch and the volume levels were obnoxious inside and out.  The actual bar is really nice.  We grabbed a quick pils, enjoyed it, and got out quickly as we couldn't even talk to each other outside.   The outside space is fine.  Most of it is covered in some fashion so you don't melt because it is full sun.  None of it really screams traditional "German" but the beer authentic as it gets.  Is it Paulaner? No.  I will be back when the weather gets cooler and I can grab a liter and some hearty German food I miss.