Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Any reviews on Gilde's space? I had my eye on going to one of their Oktoberfest weekends. 

My friend and I tried Gilde out earlier this summer.  Went on a Friday afternoon and sat inside (way too hot outside).  For beer, we had their amber Red Rooster, the Gilde pilsner, and the Lemon Radler.  I'm not a beer connoisseur, but we both thought all the beers were fine, especially the Radler on a hot day.  The space inside is quite large with tons of seating, mostly open tables but also some booths.  The bar area is nice and spacious with several high tops as well. There appeared to be a stage opposite the bar, on the far wall of the building.  I assume there may be shows there at some point?  For food, I had the pork plate and the friend had the schnitzel.  Portions were generous and both quite good, no complaints.  Can't say anything "wowed" us (it's German after all, no offense), but I'll likely go back. 

At the time, there was a lot of construction right across Tryclan Dr, so parking was very tight.  I would suggest carpooling or taking the rail to Scaleybark.  You could also park in the park and ride lot at Scaleybark station and walk up Dewitt (if that parking lot is still open).

For reference, I sometimes drive to Waldhorn in Pineville if I'm in the mood for German food, this place will likely take Waldhorn's place since it's closer and just as good (food wise).

CBJ reports that Sycamore's move to the tower next door is imminent. No details provided (beyond 'near future') but they are hosting a moving party "later this month" (if taken literally that would mean tomorrow)

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/08/30/cbj-morning-buzz-noda-company-canteen-camp-north-e.html

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:59 PM, tozmervo said:

Any reviews on Gilde's space? I had my eye on going to one of their Oktoberfest weekends. 

Was there a few months ago with friends and it was OK.  Nothing spectacular.  Food and service was good.  The servers we had were good with questions we had on the beers.  The taproom is pretty big and wasn't full of people that day, so I'm not sure how it would be with a full house - noise-wise.  It's a decent companion to OMB in a city (IMO) that is very close to reaching the saturation point with new breweries.  We will more than likely go back at some point, but it isn't a burning desire to do so.  Decent location too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might be time to break into my stash of fall beers......here's what I've amassed:

Oktoberfests: Town, OMB, Legion, Lenny Boy, Booneshine, 2 Birdsong, 2 Triple C, 2 NoDa

Pumpkin: Drop Dead Gordgeous, 3 Gordgeous

Let the drinking begin.

Still need to grab Blue Blaze's Alpine whatever it is, which is sort-of their Okt.

(If you know of any other local cans of Okt....let me know!  (Not interested in pumpkin.))

Edit: The numbers above are the number of 4-packs, ha ha ha.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

Hey, what's the setup at Wooden Robot these days?  We were hoping for brunch at OMB on Sunday but now see their Okt is going on, blech!  So we haven't been to Robot in about 5-6 years.....before they ever expanded into the space next door and added food and seating or whatever?  Anyway, what's the story now?  I'm finding it impossible to make heads or tails of it from the reviews and descriptions.  Is it waiter/waittress?  Or is there a bar/taproom area where you can still order food?  Kitchen?  Food truck?  Help me out, hahahaha!  Thanks!

Edited by grodney

51 minutes ago, grodney said:

Hey, what's the setup at Wooden Robot these days?  We were hoping for brunch at OMB on Sunday but now see their Okt is going on, blech!  So we haven't been to Robot in about 5-6 years.....before they ever expanded into the space next door and added food and seating or whatever?  Anyway, what's the story now?  I'm finding it impossible to make heads or tails of it from the reviews and descriptions.  Is it waiter/waittress?  Or is there a bar/taproom area where you can still order food?  Kitchen?  Food truck?  Help me out, hahahaha!  Thanks!

Its been a couple of years for me as well but I was in shortly after their remodel. There is a kitchen inside (food was pretty good but that was a while ago). I don't remember a wait staff, but I think I ordered from the bar. The expansion definitely changed the vibe from "small but high energy taproom" to "expensive and crowded, bro-filled Southend industrial drinking spot."  I kinda stopped going when they were the first place in town with $7 pints, and I really liked the skyline view from the old patio but that has been shutdown (and the view is gone).

I have been to the NoDa taproom a couple of times/ I think its fine if you are there for a quiet talk at the picnic tables, but the inside feels uncomfortable to me (not sure why). I also feel like the beer has declined in quality, but that may not be fair given the infrequency of my visits.

If you are looking for alternatives, I really enjoyed Lower Left on Old Pineville (not far from OMB) a few weeks ago.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, grodney said:

Order at a window, get a number IIRC and someone will run it out to you.  Used to be run by Twisted Eats but they vacated the space and then the brewery started their own food service.  That was back a few months ago I cannot comment how the brunch is now.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, kermit said:

Its been a couple of years for me as well but I was in shortly after their remodel. There is a kitchen inside (food was pretty good but that was a while ago). I don't remember a wait staff, but I think I ordered from the bar. The expansion definitely changed the vibe from "small but high energy taproom" to "expensive and crowded, bro-filled Southend industrial drinking spot."  I kinda stopped going when they were the first place in town with $7 pints, and I really liked the skyline view from the old patio but that has been shutdown (and the view is gone).

I have been to the NoDa taproom a couple of times/ I think its fine if you are there for a quiet talk at the picnic tables, but the inside feels uncomfortable to me (not sure why). I also feel like the beer has declined in quality, but that may not be fair given the infrequency of my visits.

If you are looking for alternatives, I really enjoyed Lower Left on Old Pineville (not far from OMB) a few weeks ago.

Lower Left is a great spot and a hidden gem. Great beer and atmosphere.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, grodney said:

We love Lower Left!  But we're looking for an early Sunday brunch, and both OMB and Robot open at 10am.  

Lower Left is on par with Petty Thieves and our two go-to places in Charlotte now.  I do miss going to Wooden Robot, but parking and crowds are playing a huge factor in staying away.

Tossing in another "fall/pumpkin" beer that I didn't think I'd like here - Traust Oblygatory Gourd (spelled differently on their site and Untappd).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another year of solid showings at the great america beer fest.

Glad to see Devil’s Logic win silver for their altbier, its pretty great.

Shout out to Lenny Boy for two golds, I gotta get over there more,

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/10/cbj-morning-buzz-great-america-beer-festival-medal.html

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in Reid's uptown today to get a breakfast burrito (highly recommended), and I was checking on the 4-packs of local beer.   I was so astonished by the package dates I actually documented them to share here, hahaha.

CoCo LoCo - 01/27/22, Radio Haze - 06/24/22, Hop Drop - 07/06/22, Weiz Not - 04/14/22, Jam Session - 07/08/22, Juicy Jay - 09/13/22

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, grodney said:

I was in Reid's uptown today to get a breakfast burrito (highly recommended), and I was checking on the 4-packs of local beer.   I was so astonished by the package dates I actually documented them to share here, hahaha.

CoCo LoCo - 01/27/22, Radio Haze - 06/24/22, Hop Drop - 07/06/22, Weiz Not - 04/14/22, Jam Session - 07/08/22, Juicy Jay - 09/13/22

I bet Reids also charges like $20 for a four pack. 

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 9:22 AM, grodney said:

They just change the name to "Malt, Drop It, and Roll it to the trash". 

5 Month old Hop Drop is gonna be terrible.   Coco Loco would still be fine.  

I was chatting with a guy at Mojo and he mentioned a "coming soon" brewery in Mint Hill......Panzu....."Caribbean Theme".......allegedly at 7251 Matthews-Mint Hill Rd, Mint Hill, NC 28227.  Their facebook is dead since June.  Anybody know anything about this one?  https://www.facebook.com/panzubrewery   https://panzubrewery.com/