Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I'm wondering if part of the move to the bigger site (with more outdoor space) will allow them to have a much larger patio and expanded kitchen/dining.  They could in theory have a setup similar to VBGB now except they will be serving their own beer.  As they follow the German "Reinheitsgebot", it would be great if they became a true Beer Hall and served more traditional German food as well making it even more of a destination.

Yea, I think some of it is due to their expanding food menu. The biergarten may be part of it too. They don't have a big outdoor space at their current location. Then again neither do some of the other breweries in town. 

^ Boy, that would be really exciting.  I think we will likely see them go to full distribution, six packs, ect.  

I'm still waiting for the day that NoDa Brewing starts bottling their beer and selling it around town (and region). I always joke with my wife that moving to NoDa would be a huge mistake for us because I would probably become a consistent customer of the month at both NoDa and Birdsong. She hasn't disagreed yet...

Haven't been in OMB lately (though I drink a ton of their beer).  Do they still have the awful (but reasonably tasty for what it is) pre-packaged pretzels?  If so, they really need to get with somebody (they seem to team with the Roots truck guy a lot) with chef recipes and make a REAL pretzel.  Waldhorn has a tasty little pretzel roll.  I'm hoping/assuming it is house-made.  Heck, even the pretzel mini-baguette at Harris Teeter is pretty good.

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard quite a few things about them.  Namely that the owner is an ex Rogue employee and that he has a copious amount of capital at his disposal.  I've also heard he wants to go state wide in terms of distribution right out the gate.  Of course, this could all be hearsay.  But that's what I've heard.

Depends on business models. None of the current breweries export out of Mecklenburg County very much, OMB is working on it, though. It sounds like Unknown would be gunning for a larger market. 

NoDa, Birdsong and potentially Free Range and Dukbone are neighborhood-oriented, and I would argue that there's room in each of the major neighborhoods for them. 

With all the new craft brewers popping-up someone should start a Brewers Exchange Program so that craft brewers in CLT could exchange a couple of kegs with craft brewers in other cities

Then put those "Exchanged" brews in a local bars where the brewer normally has a couple of taps so the local beer-enthusiasts get exposure to new regional/national local craft brews.

Example: Triple C Brewing (CLT) exchanges their Light Rail IPA with Legend Brewing's (RVA) Golden IPA.

Each brewer then has a 'Guest' tap where name of the guest brewer can be written-in

With all the new craft brewers popping-up someone should start a Brewers Exchange Program so that craft brewers in CLT could exchange a couple of kegs with craft brewers in other cities

Then put those "Exchanged" brews in a local bars where the brewer normally has a couple of taps so the local beer-enthusiasts get exposure to new regional/national local craft brews.

Example: Triple C Brewing (CLT) exchanges their Light Rail IPA with Legend Brewing's (RVA) Golden IPA.

Each brewer then has a 'Guest' tap where name of the guest brewer can be written-in

Go to Beer Advocate.  They have an extensive bottle share network on there.  FYI.

Guys, great forum! I found this and had to join. I was rummaging the internet for information on new breweries when I took a particular interest in Dukbone (catchy name). It seems these guys are currently scouting space in Plaza Midwood with a large outdoor area. I read Dukbone is looking to have a very oudoorsy presence with ping pong tables, corn hole boards, possibly an area for dogs to play. I think it would be cool to have even another rootop presence in Plaza Midwood like Whiskey Wharehouse or Peculiar Rabbit. (not sure that's possible) First thing I think of is Wedge Brewery in Asheville, it's one of my favorites. I know Free Range has been going at it for a while and not to much to add on what was said about the others at this point... 

Hamlet, can you provide the link for the bottle share on Beer Advocate? Would love to check it out!

Breweries

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery / www.oldemeckbrew.com

Four Friends / www.fourfriendsbrewing.com

AssClown Brewery / www.assclownbrewery.com

NoDa Brewing / www.nodabrewing.com

Birdsong / www.birdsongbrewing.com

Triple C / www.triplecbrewing.com

Brew Pubs

Heist / www.heistbrewery.com

Brickhouse Tavern / brickhousetavern.com

Rock Bottom (Chain)

Hops (Chain)

"Coming Soon"

Dukbone / www.dukbone.com

Sycamore / sycamorebrew.com

Free Range / freerangebrewing.com

Unknown Brewing / www.facebook.com/unknownbrewing

Edited by tozmervo

Breweries

Olde Mecklenburg Brewery / www.oldemeckbrew.com

Four Friends / www.fourfriendsbrewing.com

AssClown Brewery / www.assclownbrewery.com

NoDa Brewing / www.nodabrewing.com

Birdsong / www.birdsongbrewing.com

Triple C / www.triplecbrewing.com

Brew Pubs

Heist / www.heistbrewery.com

Brickhouse Tavern / brickhousetavern.com

Rock Bottom (Chain)

Hops (Chain)

"Coming Soon"

Dukbone / www.dukbone.com

Sycamore / sycamorebrew.com

Free Range / freerangebrewing.com

Unknown Brewing / www.facebook.com/unknownbrewing

my checklist pregaming for the Hounds season opener on Saturday :)