Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

I'm like 90% certain they brew two beers they serve called "Brickhouse Red" and "Brickhouse Lite." That's what I was led to believe, anyway, I didn't lay my eyes upon any brew tanks.

Off Topic but Sam Adams makes a beer called "Brickhouse Red" that is only sold in Boston, its soooo goood.

I'm like 90% certain they brew two beers they serve called "Brickhouse Red" and "Brickhouse Lite." That's what I was led to believe, anyway, I didn't lay my eyes upon any brew tanks.

I e-mailed them.  The GM wrote back and said "no" they don't brew their own beer.  The "lite" is Lionshead Pilsner and the "red" is Killian's.  Looks like a cool place, but I guess it shouldn't be on the brewpub list.

Surprised to hear your opinion of the beer. I really love their double IPA. Oh, and if you ever get a chance to do Sunday brunch, it is incredible!

I've heard the mediocre beer comment from almost everyone (the great atmosphere/space and food comments too though). I need to get up there and I guess the double ipa will be the one to try for me!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I was able to get some clarification on this. Their beer is provided via the Carolina Beer Company since before they were bought out. So @grodney was correct, it's a house-named brew.

• 4 weeks later...

I had thought they were done with microbrew zoning disucssions but it appears a liberalization of zoning regs for brewpubs will be voted on tonight:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/06/vote-for-more-breweries-in-charlotte.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

(more neighborhood business district and mixed used locations will be possible)

EDIT: and it passes:

The amendment should permit microbreweries to exist in these additional districts:

• Mixed Use Development District (MUDD)
  • Uptown Mixed Use District (UMUD)
  • Transit Oriented Development (TOD)
  • Transit Supportive Overlay District (TS)
  • Pedestrian Overlay District (PED)

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2013/05/15/round-two-text-amendment/

Edited by kermit

Unknown Brewing posted this photo to Twitter and Facebook with the comment "The Future".  I take that to mean this is their space.  I don't know where this is, but I'm guessing at least some of you do.  SouthEnd-ish?  (Edit:  Ahhh, South End Fieldhouse spot on Mint St.  Never heard of it -- found it with Google Earth by lining up the buildings.)

unk_brew_zps401ebd7f.jpg

Edited by grodney

Saw an Unknown Brewing van driving down Commonwealth on Friday. Already had tap room hours on it and everything, was very confused. Looks like they do have a photo of it on https://www.facebook.com/unknownbrewing?fref=ts

I hope this helps bring some more visibility to Mint Street. Always struck me as surprisingly quite over there given it's proximity to Uptown and Southend.

I KNEW IT! That's a great location for a brewery, and yeah, it should help that part of Mint a lot, which already has a ton of potential. Too bad I don't still live over there.

Hopefully they somehow find a way to open that building up to the outside a little bit.

Hopefully they somehow find a way to open that building up to the outside a little bit.

I'm sure they'll do some kind of patio/beer garden, they have all the space in the world for it. There are 1 or 2 smaller spaces at the back of the parking just to the right of where that picture ends that look to be occupied now, but I couldn't see what they were. 

I found this interesting... "All three buildings are now fully leased: Unexpected Finds, a retailer formerly located on Camden Road, has taken the approximately 16,000 square feet of space in the two buildings at 309 Lincoln St. and 1320 S. Church St."

more retail coming?

• 3 weeks later...

Twitter Followers, as of 8:10am today:

6376 NoDa

4849 OMB

2669 Birdsong

2259 Triple C

2258 Ass Clown

2198 Heist

1345 Four Friends

814 Free Range

305 Unknown