Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Dilworth has its own specialty beer shop now! Bulldog Beer and Wine has opened on Park Rd, next to the former Jack in the Box in the same building as the Carriage Cleaners. I haven't been yet but intend to check it out. Apparently they have several taps, so more like a Salud than a Brawley's, and the name comes from the resident shop dog. 

Dilworth has its own specialty beer shop now! Bulldog Beer and Wine has opened on Park Rd, next to the former Jack in the Box in the same building as the Carriage Cleaners. I haven't been yet but intend to check it out. Apparently they have several taps, so more like a Salud than a Brawley's, and the name comes from the resident shop dog. 

Awesome news!

TOD zoning is the only rezoning request that is free (no filing fee).  TOD zoning also requires significantly less parking than other zoning districts, which is a huge project savings.

But yeah, TOD zoning requires improved sidewalks.  I mean, how else are you supposed to get those transit users from the station to your new business?

A friend just suggested that one of these "Coming Soon" breweries should take OMB's current space (when OMB moves).  I hadn't even thought of that.  Man, that would be great.  I'd like to think it would work.  I love having Birdsong and NoDa next door to each other. 

A friend just suggested that one of these "Coming Soon" breweries should take OMB's current space (when OMB moves).  I hadn't even thought of that.  Man, that would be great.  I'd like to think it would work.  I love having Birdsong and NoDa next door to each other. 

I did the OMB brewery tour a few weeks back and the guide mentioned they have plans to rent their current space out to another brewer when they move. Also, he mentioned that they are attempting to work through all the red tape associated with opening a distillery there as well.

A distillery!!! I could dance! That's my jam.

Interestingly enough there is more craft distilleries in Brooklyn than craft breweries, at least that I've been able to find. I have 2 clients that I do social media and design for are distilleries up here.

A distillery!!! I could dance! That's my jam.

Interestingly enough there is more craft distilleries in Brooklyn than craft breweries, at least that I've been able to find. I have 2 clients that I do social media and design for are distilleries up here.

So long as the new guys don't try and market whiskey as moonshine, I'll be stoked. If you buy it and taxes were paid on it, it isn't *@*(&#(*@ moonshine.

So long as the new guys don't try and market whiskey as moonshine, I'll be stoked. If you buy it and taxes were paid on it, it isn't *@*(&#(*@ moonshine.

I'd love for them to do small batch Gin and Whiskey. Gin is a great artisanal spirit, so much can be done with it, and it's one of those things that a beer maker should love to create, I make Gin in Brooklyn, and share it with my friends. Whiskey would be great too, there is tons and tons of spent barrels waiting to be reused.

• 4 weeks later...

I was pleasantly surprised to find a craft beer build your own six pack cooler in the East blvd Teeter tonight. The selection was pretty good (although true local beer is scarce since these guys have not yet begun bottling. They do have plenty of Natty Green (ugh) Foothills and some other NC stuff).

The selection seemed less sophisticated than Good Bottle, but it was somewhat cheaper ($10 for a six pack) and cold.

FWIW

I was pleasantly surprised to find a craft beer build your own six pack cooler in the East blvd Teeter tonight. The selection was pretty good (although true local beer is scarce since these guys have not yet begun bottling. They do have plenty of Natty Green (ugh) Foothills and some other NC stuff).

The selection seemed less sophisticated than Good Bottle, but it was somewhat cheaper ($10 for a six pack) and cold.

FWIW

I actually noticed this in the Plaza Midwood Teeter yesterday! They actually had a great selection, and definitely cheaper than Salud's and Bull Dog

FWIW

I noticed that too, pretty cool. Check out Bulldog on Park Rd if you want a good (cold) build-your-own situation in the same area. It's similar to Good Bottle but with a bit more of an emphasis on a cozy little bar space than on quantity/variety and organization, but their coolers still always have enough for me to choose from. 

Haven't been down for a proper brew-crawl in well over a year (a day of walking with semi-brief stops for quality beer pounding), and sounds like there has been several new breweries and pubs come online, so what we need here (for tourism's sake) is a brew crawl map, anything like this exist already?  And yeah being lazy, need to compile all data from this thread with some googling thrown in and make one myself, I just, well for marketing's sake and all, figured some of the locals here might like the idea enough to jump on that.  I'll throw in a few beers.

Haven't been down for a proper brew-crawl in well over a year (a day of walking with semi-brief stops for quality beer pounding), and sounds like there has been several new breweries and pubs come online, so what we need here (for tourism's sake) is a brew crawl map, anything like this exist already?  And yeah being lazy, need to compile all data from this thread with some googling thrown in and make one myself, I just, well for marketing's sake and all, figured some of the locals here might like the idea enough to jump on that.  I'll throw in a few beers.

Hmmm, I might just pitch the idea to my business partners, and contact a few breweries. 

^ That's pretty good, though I'd distinguish by different colors stores v breweries v pubs, or something like that, and yeah, did see the comments for missing places, and the authors note to try and open it up (in June of this year).

While we're bandying ideas, probably chain v local as well, since Rock Bottom appears on his, nothing wrong with it, loved one of their seasonals, but one might want to just do non-chain, etc.

Edited by nowensone

Lake Norman Brewing is reporting (on The Twitter) that Duckworth's Moorseville has them on tap now.  No word of a tap room, as far as I've seen, though.  They're also going to be at Charlotte Oktoberfest.

Of the "Coming Soon", are they the first to be commercially available?  I know Free Range has been at festivals, right?  But commercially anywhere?  And have any others been at festivals or bars/restaurants?  Maybe Sycamore?

Coming Soon:

Free Range

Unknown

Dukbone

Sycamore

Lake Norman

Regimental

Edit: Lake Norman is working on their tap room at 159 Barley Park Lane, Unit B in Mooresville (right by Carolina Beverage): "Construction is underway to finish the 1,000 square foot tap room which has already been framed, plumbed and wired adjacent to our newly constructed brewhouse. Coming to our facility this winter hopefully sometime before New Year’s Eve 2014."

Edited by grodney

1. Does Lake Norman Brewing even count as a "Charlotte" brewery, since they're in Moorseville -- not even in Mecklenburg?  I think most consider AssClown in Cornelius as a "Charlotte" brewery.  

2. This is a cool NC Brewery Map.  Sorry if it's been posted here already.  http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/

3. Anybody else following Regimental on the Twitter?  I'm 0% prude so I'm not offended by their tweets, but I question it from a business perspective.  I mean, hey, it's your business so do what you want.  It just seems strange.

re: Regimental on Twitter -  Ha!  Yep, I thought the same thing.  It's more like a guy tweeting like he has a couple friends following, not potential customers for a business.  I got a kick out of some of them, but yeah, prob not the best idea to curse so much on your business twitter acct.

Impromptu trip today, wish I had planned it, would have used toz's "map", intended to for a planned version.  Parked just north of Gateway, checked out Knights/Bearden, then some parade fare, then Rockbottom (the Summer Honey is really really good, have had it before and wanted more), then ended up walking to NoDa, the idea being to walk and burn off the beer calories.  Visited Noda brewing, Birdsong, Heist, and ended at the Crepe place, then back.  Stopped by Rockbottom on the way back for another Summer Honey, ended up meeting a guy at the bar named something McKay (I am horrible with names), he apparently (with others I assume) started the Charlotte Oktoberfest several years ago, I've never been and it's is not all that cheap, but, they do donate all of the proceeds to local charities, all this assuming I was talking to one who was not BSing me.  I've been to similar festivals in Milwaukee, Greensboro and Raleigh, how is Charlotte's?