Expansion and renovation of First Baptist Chruch Campus approved by Members

smeagolsfree

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand corrected! I had forgotten all about that dispute when the arena was being built. I have to say that the church's objections to alcohol being sold in the immediate vicinity really make no sense to me. How does it effect the church if it is being sold across the street? What's the motivation? What's the difference between it being sold 100 yards away and 200 yards away? I really don't understand the logic here.

They just don't want people to see their members streaming out of church and straight into the bars. :lol:

I would agree that these days a lot of those laws are....archaic. I won't get too off topic, but I have a much bigger problem with the liquor lobby and how they screw this state out of some good quality craft beers than I do with alcohol not being able to be sold within X distance from a church.

And back to topic...not ultra crazy about the proposal...kind of like the old buildings...but if they are a hazard, I can understand. It's better than more parking.

I do wish they would build a buried parking garage with a park on top a la Public Square and the Music City Garden.

They should know that the proximity to the arena & convention center means bank in terms of adding more parking. Especially with the arena becoming the 4th busiest in the U.S. (1.4 million visitors last year). Build a 1,000 space garage...you could make well more than a $1 million a year off of arena parking alone.

Archived