1 & 7 Ionia SW

Gorath

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Bar never took hold. Previous comments on the forum here appear prescient ... http://www.urbanplan.../page__st__1080

This article says they were forced out because the lease was bought out in order to sell the building, not that they closed because they weren't doing enough business to pay their bills. They were much more consistently busy recently with the new ownership and Amy and I had actually considered going there recently because the food looked pretty good on their Facebook page.

Just ate there a few weeks ago, and the good was actually really good, and everything seemed reasonably priced. It's a shame this is happening. I have to wonder how it was that they wound up with a lease that apparently protected them so poorly--at some point along the way, you would think someone would have said, "Don't sign this thing!" They apparently were operating for less than a year. Normal leases don't get "bought out" and have the locks changed like that. And now what of the liquor license? I suspect it might take a good while to sort that out.

It's sad to hear the new owners say that they failed. It sounds more like they got screwed.

Iv ate there like 3 or 4 times. The help seemed very nice, and they had really good burgers. Actually a nice place. Always had sports playing and nice music,

This is another exciting one, http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/03/historic_arena_district_buildi.html . Plan calls for both 1 Ionia, and the Gunn Company building next to it at 7 Ionia. To mixed use, market rate apartments. That's an awsome location, with all that happens at and near that intersection. I am still anxious to see what's going to happen with all the old factories by the new Urban Market as that gets closer to opening!

I was confused by that. Perception is still at 7 Ionia, and they talked about making both spaces on the first floor one restaurant, but FOX 17 also talked to the Perception owner and he seemed happy. Wonder if they'll take the back half of the building with a smaller gallery up front?

They also acted like people were "excited" about what restaurant would go in. It will be interesting.

Joe

Is Perception art galley still at 7 Ionia?

Also is the experienced local restaurant operator Mark Sellers? (Grand Rapids Brewing)

Grand Rapids Brewing Company just introduced a new logo.

https://www.facebook...185884891484115

I've seen speculation in multiple places that it will be them. Not sure if any of it's based on actual inside info, though. Certainly wouldn't be surprising.

It's official now. http://www.mibiz.com...n-downtown.html The plan sounds pretty ambitious. Still sucks that the My Bar owners had to lose all their hard work because of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

There's an interesting article on Mlive about the lofts above Grand Rapids Brewing Company (all 21 are spoken for). The top floor has 20' ceilings after they combined the fourth and fifth floors. nice. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/12/the_party_atmosphere_below_is.html#incart_2box

The most interesting part of the story:

Coppess, whose 616 Lofts manages 150 apartments in several downtown locations, said 70 percent of his units are single-bedroom units designed to please that young demographic.

The 616 Lofts on Ionia building also includes five two-bedroom units that will rent for up to $1,600 a month, Coppess said.

The business plan is working.

“Our waiting list is up to 300 people,” said Coppess, who recently began redeveloping the Kendall Building, a 130-year-old building at 61 Monroe Center NE.

I hope other developers are reading this. Seems like there is demand for for higher-end living and the fewer buildings being renovated (Grand Central / Kendall building) won't even put a dent in the waiting list 616 currently has. 

Joe

There's an interesting article on Mlive about the lofts above Grand Rapids Brewing Company (all 21 are spoken for). The top floor has 20' ceilings after they combined the fourth and fifth floors. nice. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/12/the_party_atmosphere_below_is.html#incart_2box

The most interesting part of the story:

I hope other developers are reading this. Seems like there is demand for for higher-end living and the fewer buildings being renovated (Grand Central / Kendall building) won't even put a dent in the waiting list 616 currently has. 

Joe

I got a tour of about 10 of them just before they had residents move in. The two story ones are really cool, even those that have windows overlooking the roof of Gardella's and the big wall of the Blodgett building next door.

616 has several more buildings on their radar around GR. Hope to break the news soon.

I got a tour of about 10 of them just before they had residents move in. The two story ones are really cool, even those that have windows overlooking the roof of Gardella's and the big wall of the Blodgett building next door.

616 has several more buildings on their radar around GR. Hope to break the news soon.

Has 616 ever considered building new?

Archived