Jump to content

Lyon Square Plaza/Riverfront to get makeover


GRDadof3

Recommended Posts


47 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Okay, this didn't really occur to me until skimming that article just now, but they are talking about having access for kayaking & boating right there at lyon...I understand that the river downtown will be a destination once the rapids are restored, but I would think people putting in and pulling out would do so in less congested spots where there might actually be places to park?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Okay, this didn't really occur to me until skimming that article just now, but they are talking about having access for kayaking & boating right there at lyon...I understand that the river downtown will be a destination once the rapids are restored, but I would think people putting in and pulling out would do so in less congested spots where there might actually be places to park?

Good point. Maybe they think people will do this? 

153207_canoe.bike.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Okay, this didn't really occur to me until skimming that article just now, but they are talking about having access for kayaking & boating right there at lyon...I understand that the river downtown will be a destination once the rapids are restored, but I would think people putting in and pulling out would do so in less congested spots where there might actually be places to park?

Usually you either hire a service to drop you off at the start and pick you up at the final location, or you get a buddy to drop you off and pick you up a few hours later. Unless you want to fight the current, most people wouldn't be putting in and dropping off at the same point, but I could see a big draw to put in at riverside and stop off downtown for a beer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 4/13/2016 at 9:00 AM, GRDadof3 said:

For easier viewing. 

 

26407935595_accef1f834_b.jpg

 

 

25803088934_deab5fefd4_o.jpg

After reading through DDA documents from October of 2020, and confirming with Mark Miller at Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc,  stakeholders in the Lyon Square project have once again reversed course.   They have dropped the above BLD plans after what Miller advises as being " to costly to implement."  They have hired Progressive AE to come up with a new design, which I think will be at least the 3rd iteration.  Final bidding will occur in February or March with construction estimated to being in spring of this year.   I liked the BLD plans, and hope they carry over some of the design and amenity elements to the new plan.   This thread was created in 2012, almost 10 years ago.  Hopefully they make make this a reality in 2021! 

Edited by mpchicago
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really liked this design as well. The be design will probably just be new pavers and a free trees. Maybe some rusted metal to match Van Andel?

I can see why they need to cut costs due to Covid, but maybe they should just delay it a bit instead of value engineering it (if that is the case). 

Joe

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet the BLD design came in way over budget. The 2017 article said they were selling bonds but didn't have a budget number yet. If you go to BLD's website they show concept drawings with piles allowing the docks on the river to go up and down with the river level. Add in the ice jam forces in the spring, I'm guessing it just got too expensive. Maybe some politics involved switching to PAE?  Former planning director works there now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would much rather delay 6 more moths to a year than half ass this project. I mean its already been like 10 years so lets do the river right.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, joeDowntown said:

I really liked this design as well. The be design will probably just be new pavers and a free trees. Maybe some rusted metal to match Van Andel?

I can see why they need to cut costs due to Covid, but maybe they should just delay it a bit instead of value engineering it (if that is the case). 

Joe

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


55 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

I would much rather delay 6 more moths to a year than half ass this project. I mean its already been like 10 years so lets do the river right.

 

How does this change your perspectives on the river-edge projects being envisioned up and down the river?  not encouraging to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a concerned about the fate of both of the rivers-edge park plans and restore the rapids /Grand Rapids Whitewater.  I thought the the exodus of the Richard Bishop  in 2019, who was considered to be an expert on such projects, was odd.  We've seen nothing but delays with that project.  I also found it strange that Grand Action 2.0 didn't list the Grand River initiatives as a priority.

 

Edited by mpchicago
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

I'm a concerned about the fate of both of the rivers-edge park plans and restore the rapids /Grand Rapids Whitewater.  I thought the the exodus of the Richard Bishop  in 2019, who was considered to be an expert on such projects, was odd.  We've seen nothing but delays with that project.  I also found it strange that Grand Action 2.0 didn't list the Grand River initiatives as a priority.

 

I think it's still plugging along. I read their 2020 year in review, and it seems like a lot of permits, etc. have been filed.

Also, I thought this was interesting from a funding perspective: "We currently have commitments of 71% of the private sector funding goal (over $13 million) and a total of 90% of the original $45 million goal.". I think the private sector funding will accelerate once work gets starts (or committed to). 

Here a link: https://grandrapidswhitewater.org/reflections-on-2020/

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it's still plugging along. I read their 2020 year in review, and it seems like a lot of permits, etc. have been filed.

Also, I thought this was interesting from a funding perspective: "We currently have commitments of 71% of the private sector funding goal (over $13 million) and a total of 90% of the original $45 million goal.". I think the private sector funding will accelerate once work gets starts (or committed to). 

Here a link: https://grandrapidswhitewater.org/reflections-on-2020/

Joe

I just reviewed their website, and YouTube channel.   Lots of interviews from those involved. Yes, looks like this is moving full speed ahead.  A lot of moving parts, and involvement from local, state, federal and international agencies.  Sounds like they want to start work this year!  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbKsFs9iGrso5Zrk1uRtYmg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, wingbert said:

Very interesting.  Not sure people utilizing the event space are going to be keen on cyclists and dog walkers and such passing through and stopping at the drinking fountain.

“Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention, I would like to... hold on, we’ll just let these cyclists pass through... as I was saying, I would like to... no no, it’s ok, you and your dog can go aaaannd yes, get the dog a drink... all set?   Alright, where was I?  Oh yes, I would like... wait a second, didn’t you guys just ride through in the other direction?  No, the arena is back that way.  OK, you’re welcome.  So anyway, I would like to...”

And vice versa. As a regular user of the White Pine Trail, the worst is when downtown Rockford is busy or there's an event going on at the park by the dam, and the trail (a State Park) is filled with people who don't seem to give two fu**ks that it's a trail used by bikers, runners, etc.. 

 "We don't really care about your little Christian revival show, please get off the trail." 

I saw that too and thought, Nope, that's not going to work out well. 

Plus, so they're not doing anything down at the river level now? 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.