U.S. Census: Charlotte has fastest growing large city urbanized area

DCMetroRaleigh

Charlotte is 17th. Fort Worth is 16th and Columbus 15th, all have under 800,000 people.

I believe eventually we will surpass Columbus and San Francisco. Not so sure about surpassing Ft Worth and Austin since they are growing at a faster rate than we are. We might catch up to Jacksonville and Indianapolis possibly also. Either way, Charlotte will definitely be in the top 15 in the next 5 to 10 years. Now if only our metro area could grow faster :dontknow:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a population thread around here somewhere, but I'll throw this here:

Rank Pop Area 17 751,087 City of Charlotte 47 944,373 County of Mecklenburg 33 1,795,472 Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC MSA -- 2,442,564 Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC CSA 24 2,442,564 Primary Census Statistical Area -- 2,687,799 Charlotte Region

Edit: Wow, in case that table isn't rendering in your browser, here it is a different way:

Rank------Pop--Area

17----751,087--City of Charlotte

47----944,373--County of Mecklenburg

33--1,795,472--Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC MSA

----2,442,564--Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC CSA

24--2,442,564--Primary Census Statistical Area

----2,687,799--Charlotte Region

Anyone know the break out of population growth per minute.... a new person every 15 minutes or whatever it comes out too for Charlotte?

According to the link above, it was 19663 increase from Apr 1 2010 to Jul 1 2011, which comes out to +1 (net) every 33 minutes. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, which is always possible.

According to the link above, it was 19663 increase from Apr 1 2010 to Jul 1 2011, which comes out to +1 (net) every 33 minutes. Unless I'm doing the math wrong, which is always possible.

Looks correct to me!

365 + 30 (April) + 31 (May) + 30 (June) = 456

456 * 24 hours * 60 minutes = 656640

656640 / 19663 = 33.39 minutes!

Charlotte CSA is an official government thing. Charlotte "region" is a made-up promotional thing.

CSA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Combined_Statistical_Areas

region: http://charlotteusa.com/business-info/charlotte-usa-overview/

I think the difference is that the region includes Alexander, Catawba, and Chesterfield counties, and the CSA does not. But don't quote me on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte is definitely growing by leaps and bounds. I find it interesting that Statesville-Mooresville is pay of the urban area but Concord isn't. That has got to be a clear indicator that Iredell county will be party of Charlotte's MSA. I would miss Concord if it left. I doubt that out will but if Durham left Raleigh who knows what will happen.

1. Tega Cay and Fort Mill are within Charlotte's UA. Not wanting to cross state lines, MUMPO just agrees to let RFATS plan for that area. Similarly, parts of Mount Holly and Harrisburg would actually be part of Charlotte's UA, but MUMPO has agreed to forgo their planning to GMPO and CRMPO. However, since Iredell and Lincoln Counties lack MPO's (only RPO's), MUMPO will now grow into those counties, as well as take in more of Union County.

2. Concord-Kannapolis was large enough to qualify as its own urban area before it became contiguous with Charlotte's. The same goes for Gastonia and Rock Hill. However, Monroe and Statesville only ever reached the level of a satellite urban cluster, and hence, were merged into Charlotte's UA, once contiguous.

The counties I see that will most resemble Dekalb, Gwinette, and Cobb are Iredell, Union, York, Gaston, and Gaston. However, I wouldn't say until 2030 until one of them breaks 500k.

I thought Gaston was pretty progressive when it comes to infrastructure & development? It seems to me Gaston would be more proactive than Cabarrus.I work in Cabarrus and lived in Gaston for a while, so I'm quite familiar with the both. Gaston much more so than Cabarrus.

I thought Gaston was pretty progressive when it comes to infrastructure & development? It seems to me Gaston would be more proactive than Cabarrus.I work in Cabarrus and lived in Gaston for a while, so I'm quite familiar with the both. Gaston much more so than Cabarrus.

I'm familiar with both as well. Gaston was very progressive at one point back in the day. However, in the past few decades Gaston county has been outgrown by York and Union counties. I'm not sure if Concord and Rock Hill are more populated or of just one of them. But, Gaston has lost its edge recently to the more rapid growth of York, Iredell, Union, and Cabarrus counties. However, Gaston still is significantly more dense than these other counties and I how the revitalization of Franklin street ads to the growth.Would you believe in 1960 Gaston and Mecklenburg counties were only separated by 100k?

• 2 months later...

Ok I just posted in the NC main board about a story on NC's growth (we are at 9.82m) and I started looking at some statistics and unless I'm wrong I think Charlotte is going to be at 800,000 residents before end of 1st Quarter of Calendar Year 2013.

My reason according top the On Numbers thing of the CBJ Charlotte was at 771,553 as of 4/1/12 and increase of a little more than 40K over the last year (see below). If you figure that rate holds true and we are now 6 months later, we should be around 790k as of October 1st.

My guess is that there is a drop off of moves as you get towards the winter holidays, so I would guestimate that Charlotte could officially hit the 800,000 milestone sometime in January/February but no later than end of March.

Thoughts?

Charlotte as of 4/1/11: 731,424

Charlotte as of 4/1/12: 771,553

Charlotte as of 10/1/12: 790,000 (Guesstimate)

Charlotte as of 1/15/13: 800,000 (Wild Guess)

Ok I just posted in the NC main board about a story on NC's growth (we are at 9.82m) and I started looking at some statistics and unless I'm wrong I think Charlotte is going to be at 800,000 residents before end of 1st Quarter of Calendar Year 2013.

My reason according top the On Numbers thing of the CBJ Charlotte was at 771,553 as of 4/1/12 and increase of a little more than 40K over the last year (see below). If you figure that rate holds true and we are now 6 months later, we should be around 790k as of October 1st.

My guess is that there is a drop off of moves as you get towards the winter holidays, so I would guestimate that Charlotte could officially hit the 800,000 milestone sometime in January/February but no later than end of March.

Thoughts?

Charlotte as of 4/1/11: 731,424

Charlotte as of 4/1/12: 771,553

Charlotte as of 10/1/12: 790,000 (Guesstimate)

Charlotte as of 1/15/13: 800,000 (Wild Guess)

Where did you get the 771,553 number from?

Where did you get the 771,553 number from?

As I said in my post - from the Charlotte Business Journal.

If you want to check - Here's the link: http://www.bizjourna...717102689193999

If that doesn't work go to CBJ article linked below and scroll to the bottom where you search by states and choose NC - you'll get all of NC cities including CLT as of 4/1/12

http://www.bizjourna...ies-in-the.html

Wow, that's a pretty big boost. Maybe it isn't too unrealistic for Charlotte to hit the one million mark by the end of the decade. But if Charlotte added 40k people, then Mecklenburg should be just a little over that, placing it near or at one million people living in the county.

Wow, that's a pretty big boost. Maybe it isn't too unrealistic for Charlotte to hit the one million mark by the end of the decade. But if Charlotte added 40k people, then Mecklenburg should be just a little over that, placing it near or at one million people living in the county.

If current trends continue (Charlotte gaining 20,000 people a year), the city would be at 931,000 at the end of the decade, definitely not unrealistic to think that it could be close to 1 million.

If current trends continue (Charlotte gaining 20,000 people a year), the city would be at 931,000 at the end of the decade, definitely not unrealistic to think that it could be close to 1 million.

Actually the current trend is the city is gaining a little over 40,000 people per year. Now whether that is sustainable is a good question.

Archived