U.S. Census: Charlotte has fastest growing large city urbanized area

DCMetroRaleigh

I think the specifics will be upcoming, but the national, general patterns were previewed today. Apparently, Rowan and Anson lost residents from 2010-2011, according to the Winston-Salem Journal. The Fayetteville Metro area is suddenly growing like a national superstar, thanks to BRAC.

Apparently, Union and York counties saw a major slowdown in growth, as have almost all suburban and exurban counties nationwide. In all, 99 of the 100 fastest-growing exurbs and outer suburbs saw slower or no growth in 2011 compared with the mid-decade housing peak — the exception being Spotsylvania County (Fredericksburg area) located on the southern outskirts of the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, which has boomed even in the downturn.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The US Census estimates Mecklenburg County had 944,373 people on July 1, 2011, an increase of almost 25,000 over the year before, or 2.7 percent increase. If that growth rate is maintained or increased for the next two years, Charlotte-Meck should reach the 1 million population milestone by Autumn 2013.

Wake County had an estimated 929,780 people, with a still robust growth rate of 3.2 percent. Wake County was a mere 14,592 people fewer than Mecklenburg County, gaining 28,787 people in one year despite the recession.

Based on my own piecemeal calculations, the Charlotte MSA had an estimated 1,795,472 people on July 1, 2011. Someone, please verify this for me.

The MSA population in 2010 was 1,758,038, which ranked as the nation's 33rd largest MSA

Only a 40,000 increase? That sounds low to me....

The US Census needs to step forward and explain its urbanized area definitions in light of how many people are baffled by its seemingly arbitrary definitions. Someone else put the questions about its definitions pretty well another forum:

But the point is that an urban area isn't defined by the central city. If that were true then why is West Palm Beach in the same urban area as Miami? Why is Tacoma in the same urban area as Seattle? Why is Wilmington in the same urban area as Philadelphia? Hell why is Trenton not good enough for the Philadelphia UA, but Wilmington is? why are Mooreville and Statesville good to go for the Charlotte UA but Concord and Salisbury are not? Hell the Charlotte case is probably the craziest yet!

I have no idea what that map is or what it's telling me. I was hoping someone else would ask ;)

I may be wrong, but the map appears to be Charlotte's "urban area". Forest green is Charlotte, Hville, Mooresville, Statesville. Light green is Concord/Knap. Purple is Gastonia and the grey Fort Mill/Rock Hill.

Yep, it's the controversial Urbanized Area of Charlotte for 2010, which has set off a firestorm of controversy from cities and urban planners, who especially think Charlotte's UA is nonsensical. Charlotte's UA is being used as the most egregious illustration of the US Census Bureau's arbitrary designations.

Yep, it's the controversial Urbanized Area of Charlotte for 2010, which has set off a firestorm of controversy from cities and urban planners, who especially think Charlotte's UA is nonsensical. Charlotte's UA is being used as the most egregious illustration of the US Census Bureau's arbitrary designations.

I agree that it was random. Heck, even the proposed rules that were released prior to the final rules said that if Urban Areas grew together they would not be split up. It even mentioned the urban areas of Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, and Rock Hill as examples of Urban areas that would not be split if the urban areas grew together. It really screws up the MSA delineation too. If you were to add Concord's UA to Charlotte's, the MSA would be almost guaranteed to gain Lincoln, Rowan, and Stanly counties; if Rock Hill was added, Lancaster and Chester counties would be added. With the likely addition of Iredell county to the MSA, Charlotte could have potentially had approximately 2.5 million people living in the MSA next year when the new MSA's are released.

• 2 months later...

More census news:

Charlotte grew nearly 20,000 people in the past year. We are now up to 751,000 people! We also gained 2,000 on Fort Worth and grew the 9th most overall in terms of raw #'s. Almost 16th...

http://www.census.go...n/cb12-117.html

Great news! Not sure if we will catch up to Ft Worth since they are growing fast also. We might catch up to Columbus, OH however. Interesting to see Detroit at 706,000...they are almost under the 700,000 mark. So bizarre! Meanwhile, Austin surpassed San Francisco.

Archived