Historic Preservation

Wait, so the property doesn't include Sweet CeCe's/Hattie B's? I thought the strip wasn't there in the overhead plan we saw? Of course, after going back and looking while typing - you're right. What an absolutely outrageous situation this has become. Leave a 1970's strip but tear down the house... dumb.

That is pretty ridiculous.  Maybe in Nashville that's the secret formula for preservation though?  Should all of Nashville's historic buildings try wooing a trendy chain cupcake shop as a tenant?

That is pretty ridiculous.  Maybe in Nashville that's the secret formula for preservation though?  Should all of Nashville's historic buildings try wooing a trendy chain cupcake shop as a tenant?

That's an interesting hypothesis.  It's better than any ad-hoc preservation strategy (absent historic districting) that I have, LOL!

Wasn't sure where to put this. I went to a great little fund raiser in McMinnville a few weeks ago called Sip & Saveur and was taken by the quaintness and beauty of the old town area. I snapped a few pics with my crappy camera phone. There were some new businesses popping up and some revitalization happening. They still have their old theater, Park Theatre, and according to my sis-in-law, they are in midst of fundraising and renovation. Sort of reminds me of a little section of Asheville NC. There is even a very large hill that might pass for a mountain behind the city street/water tower (although it did not come through in my pics)

https://www.facebook.com/ParkTheatreMcMinnvilleTN

Edited by TnNative
  • Like 3

From the Tennessean (sorry no link, subscription site);

An interesting 'photo merge' of a contemporary photo of Second Avenue with a photo from 1985 showing the demolition of a building destroyed by fire.

Image_0.jpg

Old and new photos merge to show what Second Avenue looked like in 1985 and today. In 1985, a crane and scooping shovel knocked down the fire-ravaged shells of three historic Nashville buildings after the Algernon-Blair Group of Montgomery, Ala., rejected plans by Historic Nashville to preserve the building facades.

The Alabama group proposed a 24 story building on the site, but had it rejected by the City. Soon after, the buildings burned down. The lot still sits empty after 30 years.

• Like 3

^Interesting. I had always wondered what was on that lot. I'm surprised that it hasn't been developed yet, seems like a prime location for something. Anybody know who owns it? 

Someone with enough cash to sit and wait for thirty years, apparently...

• 1 month later...

Awesome news! I wonder what the extent of the renovations will be. It may just be cosmetic renovations, but I would love to see an extensive rehab of these buildings. I can tell you from experience that The Lee has problematic heating boilers. It's either completely off, or it's 200 degrees! I sure hope they keep the original elevators in the Lee. They are in need of serious repair, but they are the only scissor style elevators in Nashville that I've ever seen.

i'm pretty sure 222 polk avenue has those style elevators? or - at least - had when the building was rentals.

I believe that's correct - I visited there a few years ago, looking to buy a condo. Tiny little elevator, narrow staircases. Utterly charming exposed brick interiors in the units, renovated in '06. Sadly some details about the HOA seemed fishy at the time, so I moved on.

Edited by drewbert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to say...it's wonderful to see some of the area's preservationists saving structures and land one piece at a time...as these 3 men have done in the past, and with Studio A. It's a nice counter-balance to all of the construction.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/12/aubrey-preston-brings-on-big-name-partners.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see.  Not every building on Music Row needs to be preserved, but there needs to be some thought going into which structures have enough music history attached to them to be considered for future protection of some sort.  There's no need to have a "Music Row" while tearing down everything associated with the music industry.  

• Like 2