Historic Preservation

• 3 weeks later...

Historic Nashville, Inc. announces 2014 Nashville Nine

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/9/23/studio_a_hilllsboro_high_trail_west_highlight_historic_nashvilles_endan

The list:

http://www.sitemason.com/files/fKsgmc/2014%20Nashville%20Nine%20Press%20FINAL.pdf

• Albert Samuel Warren House - 1812 Broadway, built around 1888
  • Belair Mansion - 2250 Lebanon Road, constructed from 1832 - 1838
  • Coca-Cola Bottling Plant - 1525 Church Street, built in the 1920's
  • Hamilton Church Cemetery - 3105 Hamilton Church Road, dates from 1831
  • Hillsboro High School - 3812 Hillsboro Pike, built 1954
  • Printers Alley Historic District - 200 block of 3rd Ave. N and 4th Ave.N and 300 block of Church Street, represents buildings built from 1874 - 1929
  • RCA Studio A - 30 Music Square West, built in 1964
  • Sunnyside Outbuildings - 3000 Granny White Pike, built in early 19th century
  • The Trail West Building - 217-221 Broadway, built in early 1900s
Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

I can easily disagree with Hillsboro high. To me that is a comical addition

Yeah, I saw that and rolled my eyes a bit. Hillsboro HS is at best an average-looking building in a location best suited for retail (and the resulting tax revenue for Metro).

If they wanted to pick a high school for the preservation list, I would've suggested East Nashville HS (i.e. Oprah Winfrey HS) or Hume-Fogg HS downtown.

Yeah, I saw that and rolled my eyes a bit. Hillsboro HS is at best an average-looking building in a location best suited for retail (and the resulting tax revenue for Metro).

If they wanted to pick a high school for the preservation list, I would've suggested East Nashville HS (i.e. Oprah Winfrey HS) or Hume-Fogg HS downtown.

Well, yeah, agree except those two aren't threatened (one of the criteria). I had the same reaction about the Hillsboro HS building in terms of its historical or architectural value. The Green Hills anti-development group must have nominated it.

I think if Hillsboro High were closer to the street and didn't have the drive in front, we may all have stronger feelings about it. I'm not saying that should sway anyone for or against it. I'm just saying that it is a nice building, just maybe missing a few of those "important" features. I, for one, hope it sticks around. But I also wouldn't see it as a devestating loss.

Now, if they could find a way to get rid of the front facing parking, make a true lawn of the front, and update the gym portion, I would be thrilled.

• Like 1

Both East High and Hume-Fogg are already protected by Historic Landmark zoning (which is separate from National Register listing).  So the Metro Historic Commission has to review demolition/alteration permits for those two structures.

Well, yeah, agree except those two aren't threatened (one of the criteria). I had the same reaction about the Hillsboro HS building in terms of its historical or architectural value. The Green Hills anti-development group must have nominated it.

The Green Hills Neighborhood Association is certainly watching the Hillsboro High relocation discussion very closely.

Edited by bwithers1

The NY Times continues to be taken with Nashville as evidenced by this latest entry prominent on the home page about attempts to save RCA Studio A along Music Row (I wasn't sure where to put this, so please accept my apologies if I erred and feel free to relocate it):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/us/as-music-row-shifts-to-condo-row-nashville-cries-in-its-beer.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LargeMediaHeadlineSum&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1066341,-86.8133912,3a,75y,126.92h,83.2t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOsNJBo8b8RrsKUTFmBYM_A!2e0!6m1!1e1

This is not worth preserving. Arguments like this are we many are completely dismissive when they hear arguments for preservation.

I too do not understand the huge push for preservation of this building. It's a pretty typical example of 1950s school construction, and there are litereally thousands of very similar examples still in daily use across the country.

Not sure it's a huge push.   HNI included it on this year's list based on nominations received, which may not have been that many or it may have been someone's pet nomination.     If Metro decides to sell the property, I kind of doubt we will see much of a fight from the preservation community.    The bigger issues will be where to locate the Hillsboro students and the development plans for that huge tract of land.   

As Green Hills slowly becomes a denser, more walkable neighborhood (the kind that attracts families with kids), why on earth would we want to relocate an existing school?  So some developer can make a buck?  So that we can bus those students somewhere else in the future?  So that we don't offend the sensibilities of the new-buildings-are-cool crowd?

Edited by Nashville Cliff

As Green Hills slowly becomes a denser, more walkable neighborhood (the kind that attracts families with kids), why on earth would we want to relocate an existing school?  So some developer can make a buck?  So that we can bus those students somewhere else in the future?  So that we don't offend the sensibilities of the new-buildings-are-cool crowd?

Most of the families moving into the 600k homes in Green Hills are not sending their kids to HIllsboro. We would want to relocate the school because a school is not the highest of and best use of the property. The land could be sold for millions, and after that the land would generate millions a year in property taxes. For a system with failing schools, this would be a windfall. Just makes common sense to me.

There are quite a few public comments pouring in to the Planning Commission opposing the rezoning of the 19th/Broadway SP for the 25/16 hotel/apartment complex that would require the demolition of the historic house that won a preservation award  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MPCMeetings/2014/100914CommentsOct8Through9Updated2.pdf.

My favorite letter is the one stating that the very attorney who operates her practice out of that house serves on the board for Belmont Mansion and should be sensitive to historic preservation. 

Another person points out that Hattie B's/Sweet CiCi's next door are being spared but a 19th Century National Register-eligible mansion is not.

I was really interested to see CM Duane Dominy write in that while he cannot prevent a property owner from demolishing an historic structure, he does not have to vote at the Council level for a rezoning that would precipitate that demolition. 

Even if this policy change gets approved by the Planning Commission today, CM Gilmore may have difficulty convincing her colleagues at the Council to approve this policy change and SP.

• Like 1

Wait, so the property doesn't include Sweet CeCe's/Hattie B's? I thought the strip wasn't there in the overhead plan we saw? Of course, after going back and looking while typing - you're right. What an absolutely outrageous situation this has become. Leave a 1970's strip but tear down the house... dumb.