Historic Preservation

Even though the NTHP is a privately-funded non-profit, the fact is, it frequently can muster and consolidate support and funding for maximizing the chances of preserving some of these notable treasures.  They (it) work toward saving all kinds of odd-ball, off-the-wall items of any size (or almost any).

They recently completed a fund-raising initiative to save what remains of the Cincinnati Union Terminal, a 1933 humongous Art-Deco passenger-train station which, although shared as large version of Nashv'l's Adventure Science Center (family museum), an iMax theatre, and an Amtrak station, had fallen into a bad need of restoration.  About 7 years ago, I personally had worked with the NTHP for funding the conservation and re-mastering of a specialized photographic and paper-index collection at a local university, donated during the late 1940s, and which had critically deteriorated since it's initial compilation during the early 1920s.  So first hand, I feel a bit of witnessed confidence in the National Trust.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

100 year anniversary of the North Branch Carnegie library in Historic Buena Vista, the oldest library in Nashville. http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/built-carnegie-money-nashvilles-oldest-library-celebrates-100-years

They've just finished up interior renovations in January, and are finishing up replacing the roof tiles as we speak.  Shamefully, I've lived a couple of doors down from here for 5 years and have never visited.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is in Knoxville but still relevant.  2 developers offered to restore a historic home by dividing the lot and adding more housing but both proposals were rejected by nimbys. So it was demolished today.  

Also,  a 60 day waiting period goes into affect tomorrow. 

http://www.knoxmercury.com/2015/05/26/historic-christenberry-house-demolished/

I'm sure I'll be gettin' attacked for saying this, but the house "deserved" to be torn down, especially with onlooking dissenters watching a smiling dozer/excavator operator (must've "...hurt so good").  I do believe in reasonable compromise to save some "unspoken" treasures as such homes.  It's like owners quibbling with firemen over a type of hose, while watchin' the damn house burn down in the meantime.

-==-

• Like 1

I'm sure I'll be gettin' attacked for saying this, but the house "deserved" to be torn down, especially with onlooking dissenters watching a smiling dozer/excavator operator (must've "...hurt so good").  I do believe in reasonable compromise to save some "unspoken" treasures as such homes.  It's like owners quibbling with firemen over a type of hose, while watchin' the damn house burn down in the meantime.

-==-

Wait, what did the house do to "deserve" to be torn down?  It is one thing for owners or neighbors to be unrealistic or uncompromising, but I'm sure that the building could not speak for itself in the community meetings or public hearings.  If walls could talk, indeed.

Edited by bwithers1

Wait, what did the house do to "deserve" to be torn down? It is one thing for owners or neighbors to be unrealistic or uncompromising, but I'm sure that the building could not speak for itself in the community meetings or public hearings. If walls could talk, indeed.

You must not have known that building. It was a real d-bag.

• Like 2

Wait, what did the house do to "deserve" to be torn down?  It is one thing for owners or neighbors to be unrealistic or uncompromising, but I'm sure that the building could not speak for itself in the community meetings or public hearings.  If walls could talk, indeed.

Brett, I would think that you got the gist of why I said what I said.  "Deserving" to be torn down" was used as a strong phase of passion to refer to unreasonable constraints conferred on the owner by those in opposition, who, according to the article only,  had declined any offer by the owner to save the structure with conditions.   That house just might have had it's own soul, maybe even ghosts as far as we're concerned, but I was referring to the fact that foolish naysayers seemed to not want to meet some reasonable compromise with the property owner on saving that structure, according to what the poster above provided us ─ nothing beyond that as official or from the horse's mouth.  You of all people know how that works.  If that house had no legal "sacred-cow" protection by overlay or whatever, then I don;t think you or I could expect that the owner would just sit on it.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

^^^ I believe that is a case of the Nimby's winning a victory. Based on the article, both of the proposals to restore the house came with conditions to add a small amount of density. Hence the Nimby opposition. Now, it will be a one-for-one demolition. So, a historic home is destroyed and replaced with something new, but single family. No additional people.

I'm sure most of the Nimby crowd is satisfied with the result and don't give a rat's bottom about the historic structure. There may be a minority of them who wanted their cake and eat it to, and to them I would say "what did you expect?".

Unfortunately, the people like us who see that density is inevitable and want to protect the history as a part of that, are probably a small minority.

• Like 3

^^^ I believe that is a case of the Nimby's winning a victory. Based on the article, both of the proposals to restore the house came with conditions to add a small amount of density. Hence the Nimby opposition. Now, it will be a one-for-one demolition. So, a historic home is destroyed and replaced with something new, but single family. No additional people.

I'm sure most of the Nimby crowd is satisfied with the result and don't give a rat's bottom about the historic structure. There may be a minority of them who wanted their cake and eat it to, and to them I would say "what did you expect?".

Unfortunately, the people like us who see that density is inevitable and want to protect the history as a part of that, are probably a small minority.

This what I totally agree with, even if my reaction was strong with disgust on razing the house.  You just said it as better qualified

-==-

• 4 weeks later...

The list of 9 is out for the year. Number one, 1812 Broadway which I think we've all expressed concern over losing. Also on the list: Hillsboro High School... which, I get - it's a 50s-mod structure, but damned if it isn't in the way of well, everything. And it isn't really conducive to modern school's needs.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2014/09/22/alarmed-preservations-pick-studio-backdrop-event/16068641/

The list of 9 is out for the year. Number one, 1812 Broadway which I think we've all expressed concern over losing. Also on the list: Hillsboro High School... which, I get - it's a 50s-mod structure, but damned if it isn't in the way of well, everything. And it isn't really conducive to modern school's needs.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2014/09/22/alarmed-preservations-pick-studio-backdrop-event/16068641/

They still list RCA Studio A...which has been saved.  Also list Trail West Bldg...which even though the design of the honkytonk isn't my first choice, at least the building is being "saved."

• Like 1

They still list RCA Studio A...which has been saved.  Also list Trail West Bldg...which even though the design of the honkytonk isn't my first choice, at least the building is being "saved."

That article is from September.  Do they have a more updated list?  Didn't see on on their website.  

Edited by Bezoar

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

https://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/index.php?resultpage=1&find=davidson

Ya'll look at some of these! Figured this would be a good spot for these. 

16130.jpg is  a Aerial view of Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial University, Nashville, Tennessee. Not sure what this is today?

Others are self explanatory.

16130.jpg

18948.jpg

19344.jpg

18102.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1