Google MapMaker - Fixing Google Maps

Nathan_in_DC

Has anyone here used or taken part in Google's MapMaker project? They've opened it up so that individuals can make fixes, edits and additions to Google Maps. For instance, if a street doesn't match up to the satellite view, if a building or location is being mapped incorrectly, or if a street has been closed off, you can now fix it. I've been playing with it for a while in my free time as a bit of a hobby that strokes my unhealthy obsession with cartography, getting to the point where they made me a regional expert for Pennsylvania and Tennessee (basically, a minor admin that gives me higher authority in reviewing edits of other users and more leeway in making edits of my own).

Anyway, it can be found at http://mapmaker.google.com. Let me know if you need any guidance or tips or need any edits approved.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might get around to doing that. I use GoogleMaps on almost a daily basis to take "virtual" trips around the country (at present, making my way through South Carolina). I cringe at the number of errors I spot with respect to locating buildings (historic, etc.) or even businesses that don't match up with their locations on the maps.

Archived