Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

I like everything but that new tower rendering. That is gross. I can only hope that it's just a rough design and not what ends up materializing. 

This is Grand Rapids, so don't worry.  If everything stays the usual course, they'll find a way to make it look far worse for the final product.  It's rather shameful that they found a way to make 12 stories look squat and plump.  Do we have no architects with halfway decent urban design skills?  It's sickening how poor the architectural quality of most of this junk truly is.  For a project of this size, scale, and cost it would have made sense to have a design contest.  Too bad.

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GRLaker said:

I like everything but that new tower rendering. That is gross. I can only hope that it's just a rough design and not what ends up materializing. 

Another repeat of Arena Place, it appears.  I wonder if Orion/Concept Design has stepped into this one. 

The theater looks better in this new version. 

5 hours ago, GRLaker said:

The phase II tower and the office building design was not near complete when these renderings were done and don't reflect the final product.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ZAP! said:

And as always, there's complaints of parking in the comments despite direct address in the article.

Ha build a parking ramp of parking but they will still complain about how they'll be able to park. It's a city downtown not a suburb mall people. 

Edited by HavingAhoot
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ZAP! said:

And as always, there's complaints of parking in the comments despite direct address in the article.

I'm trying to understand the parking details.   Maybe I missed some of the initial details but there does seem to be a significant change from what has been initially reported.   Right now the City of Grand Rapids has Arena Lot 4 and Arena Lot 5 with a total of 595 spots.  All of these will be gone during the construction (we knew this) and now we're hearing that the City will only have a lease for around 300 spots after the construction (reduction of 295 spots).   The city has always insinuated that they would have more spots and not less after construction.  They even still have something to this effect on their website.  http://grcity.us/enterprise-services/Parking-Services/Pages/New-Area-4-and-5-Options.aspx.

Has anyone heard anything on how will the other 610 spots (of the 910 total) be managed?  Is there some other arrangement for public parking that makes up for the almost 300 lost spots?  Specifically, regarding the monthly parking passes for people working downtown.    I'm assuming that some of these 610 spaces will go to the new residents living in the apartments/condos on the property and then some others will be for the businesses going into this development (Loeks employees, etc.).

43 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

I'm trying to understand the parking details.   Maybe I missed some of the initial details but there does seem to be a significant change from what has been initially reported.   Right now the City of Grand Rapids has Arena Lot 4 and Arena Lot 5 with a total of 595 spots.  All of these will be gone during the construction (we knew this) and now we're hearing that the City will only have a lease for around 300 spots after the construction (reduction of 295 spots).   The city has always insinuated that they would have more spots and not less after construction.  They even still have something to this effect on their website.  http://grcity.us/enterprise-services/Parking-Services/Pages/New-Area-4-and-5-Options.aspx.

Has anyone heard anything on how will the other 610 spots (of the 910 total) be managed?  Is there some other arrangement for public parking that makes up for the almost 300 lost spots?  Specifically, regarding the monthly parking passes for people working downtown.    I'm assuming that some of these 610 spaces will go to the new residents living in the apartments/condos on the property and then some others will be for the businesses going into this development (Loeks employees, etc.).

Good question. Once again the city seems to saying "we'll figure it out later." 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Funny because I love this city, but the general lack of forethought on parking, etc. makes me want to pull my hair out. I’m not in the “there is no place to park” Mlive camp, but seriously, there aren’t many places to park. :(

I was going to say that maybe the city is hoping to absorb the net loss South of the arena of 295 monthly permit spots (downtown workers) in some of their other lots, like the new one by the DT Market. But that one appears to be all leased up already (the upper lot).

Here's the most recent report of what's available for monthly permits:

http://grcity.us/enterprise-services/Parking-Services/Pages/Monthly-Cards-Available.aspx

70 spaces...

I'm surprised the Scribner lot under 131 still has spots. You probably wouldn't have to scrape your car windows when you came out at the end of the day in the winter.

I found this report on the city's "mobility" department site that is used for workshops for employers.

http://grcity.us/enterprise-services/Parking-Services/Documents/Remote Parking DASH - Employer Resources.pdf

When it was put out in July 2017,

West Side Area 7 had 3 spots, still has 3

Area 8 had 16, now has 11

Area 9 had 111, now has 44 spots left