Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

Apparently the height was limited by the development of the future residential tower "rights-owners." In other words, Grand Rapids' first dealings with air rights. 

But I agree, I don't know if it was the writer or the developer who gave it the "tower" moniker. I think a building should be taller than it is wide to be given that distinction. :)

Otherwise it looks great, especially at the ground level (ie I can't see the parking). And the transparent glass is a favorite of mine.

I agree, love the transparency.     It doesn't look like seven stories,  but it does look very nice.   Hope they can land a nice lead tenant so it doesn't get value engineered to death.    So on the back side, how tall will the ramp go?   Will some office floor be looking right into a parking ramp? 

3 hours ago, Dj Augustine said:

The developer does not call it a tower, that's the editors work.  The decision to make the article about price instead of quality was also the editors work.  There is a lot of quality there though.

I had a feeling. Good coverage though otherwise.

9 hours ago, wingbert said:

I like the fact that they looked to Chicago for an architect rather than a local shop and, TA DA!!! we see a design that is not brown and beige.  Halle - freaking - lujah. 

This. :)  It is a nice design, simple yet elegant. Not clunky at all. Or I should say, nothing about it makes me furrow my eyebrows. It sounds like it will also have some ground floor retail. 

23 hours ago, arcturus said:

Nice the developer sees a demand for Class A office.   Maybe there's hope yet for that empty hole at Division and Weston. 

There is demand, but not at Division & Weston.

I think the ship sailed on that project and the next one envisioned for that spot. 

I’d expect a much less ambitious project at that site. But maybe not anytime soon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, localtalent said:

I think the ship sailed on that project and the next one envisioned for that spot. 

I’d expect a much less ambitious project at that site. But maybe not anytime soon.

This was my thought as well. 

4 hours ago, localtalent said:

If I'm not mistaken, low income/workforce housing was proposed for that spot.  Not sure of the status. 

2 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

If I'm not mistaken, low income/workforce housing was proposed for that spot.  Not sure of the status. 

It was and when the story of the Keeler (sp?) building not getting approved credits from the state of Michigan went to press they mentioned that this project ALSO was denied twice. 

15 hours ago, localtalent said:

Warner Tower and Franklin Partners projects are the best indicator of where Class A is heading in GR.

These are folks who know the market, have made money here, and are allergic to bad deals.

Hear hear. They've filled up their projects where downtown is hovering around 12-15% vacancy in office space right now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t quite understand the big blank wall on the northeast side of the building. 

Looks nice (other than that). 

Joe

I don't either. I can understand it on the North wall as there will be another building there.  I wonder if that's an "as yet to be announced" venue on that corner? IMAX theater? Nightclub? 2 story bar? 

With this building being directly attached to the movie theater, I wonder if they will have a direct door to the theater lobby? That would be cool. 

Edit: here's your answer Joe:

says: "Facade by theater architect under separate contract/permit"

5adb4dce8ddfc_Canopyfront.thumb.JPG.5e9a2e4271d65f773378982ca2a428b1.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't either. I can understand it on the North wall as there will be another building there.  I wonder if that's an "as yet to be announced" venue on that corner? IMAX theater? Nightclub? 2 story bar? 

With this building being directly attached to the movie theater, I wonder if they will have a direct door to the theater lobby? That would be cool. 

Edit: here's your answer Joe:

says: "Facade by theater architect under separate contract/permit"

5adb4dce8ddfc_Canopyfront.thumb.JPG.5e9a2e4271d65f773378982ca2a428b1.JPG

Interesting. The earlier rendering showed windows all the way across and down the north side, so I was a bit confused on what happened. Hopefully they'll do something interesting/nice with it (and not just a giant blank wall).

Joe